Eagle Peak Trail

Eagle Peak Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Descanso, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Took me and Rosa 1 hour exactly in thick brush and narrow trail. Could hardly use walking sticks. Long sleeves and pants are a must. Fairly easy until the last 1/4 mile, and once near the top there were several false peaks.

A short easy hike with really nice views. I'd recommend pants because it's overgrown in places but we hiked it just fine in shorts.

It's a great trail if you want to get away from the crowds. After .7 miles the trail gets a lot smaller, where pants are required and long sleeves are recommended. The peak held it's name with a few Eagles at the top. Not much shade or places to sit on the whole trail though.

Beautiful views of the Anza Borrego desert floor from the peak are worth the climb. October early morning was much warmer than expected. I went through my 32 oz of water and had to borrow some .

Awesome and secluded trail, considering how close it is to 3 Sisters. Definitely bring a gpx file. The trail is very overgrown and just disappears about .5 miles from the summit.

Monday, October 31, 2016

Monday, October 10, 2016

Beautiful views at the top! The trail is difficult to follow. I had downloaded the trail from AllTrails and it looked like we were hiking parallel to it, but I figured that my GPS was slightly off. As it turns out, we had taken the wide right path when we should have taken the very faint left trail at a wide sandy spot. We were able to bushwack over to the main trail after ascending a bit to the rocky part. On the way down, we lost the trail again and regained it after some use of the alltrails map on my phone. I was surprised by the heat on the trail back. We started at 8:20 am and were back to our car by 11:20 at a slow pace due to the heat.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Cool hike. Yesterday, August 27, 2016 I hiked this with some friends. Approximately 2.51 miles to the 3rd peak. Amazing views as you keep ascending and it's all worth it. At the summit, the 360 degree view is refreshing. The official peak log registry awaits you and ultra cool, locating all 3 geological benchmarks! Hiking back down was an obstacle and challenge since the trails is not properly marked. We had to build a few trail markers for other fellow hikers! It took some bushwhacking but we were able to get back on the trail.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Very cool trail. It was quite foggy and wet when I went and I got drenched like an idiot. The trail is really overgrown so, if it is wet at all, wear rain gear or gators, or something...I didn't and paid the price. No views for me due to the fog, but it was an awesome hike. I'll be back.

Sunday, August 23, 2015

The view was great but the trail itself failed to meet expectations. Summer heat not withstanding, this trail required a bit of bushwhacking to navigate. I didn't expect it to remain wide open as it did for the first 0.7 miles but at least it could be followed up to the first false peak, which is a lot more than I was able to do 12 years ago.

Friday, January 16, 2015

Monday, January 12, 2015

I LOVED this hike! Just finished it today and thought it was amazing! Great views!

Friday, August 29, 2014

This is a point to point trail. A lot of people (locals) prefer to start on the Ramona, CA side. Follow Ramona Oaks Road where the 26500 block of Ramona Oaks Rd dead ends and meets the last cul-de-sac of Shalom Rd. There is an area to park off the road or on the street. The trail was well maintained. We only encountered one other person on bike with a dog. We went of trail to climb a few hills that overlook the neighborhood we were staying at. The trail is moderate but climbing up those rocking hills in the desert heat was an added challenge. Besides the curiosity of seeing my friends house from the top of some rocky hills there isn't much else to see or do. Still worth the hike.

Saturday, April 12, 2014