Eagle Peak Loop

Eagle Peak Loop is a 7.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Clayton, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,198 feet Route Type: Loop

The lush greenery of Mitchell Canyon leads to an invigorating climb to Eagle Peak (2,369'), a favorite of local hikers. Everybody loves to visit the summit of Mount Diablo, but many seasoned San Francisco Bay Area hikers prefer this hike to Eagle Peak via Mitchell Canyon, which takes in all the features that make Mount Diablo State Park unique. Mitchell Canyon is shady with abundant wildflowers in the spring; Eagle Peak culminates a rugged hike to jaw-dropping vistas of the East Bay and surrounding terrain. On a clear winter day you might be able to spot the snow-capped peaks of the Sierra Nevada.

hard start with a smooth finish down Mitchell Rd. this was a great hike. It was a challenge but the pay off was gorgeous.

I hiked 6.88 miles, starting at Regency Dr. I took the Back Creek Trail to the Eagle Peak Trail Loop. I burned 1,300 active calories and got up to 2,369 ft. It took me 3.5 hours with some stopping for pics and water breaks. I slipped three times coming down the mountain, so make sure you wear shoes with good grip! The trail wasn’t busy at all - maybe because it’s hot and it’s August. Besides the trees, nothing else was green. lol. I only saw two people. Only some parts of the trail are shaded so wear sunscreen and bring enough water! The view from the top was worth the climb! I would love to see the sunset from up there! I wouldn’t do this hike again, because I didn’t like how I had to duck, quite often, through the small parts of the trail. But, I am 6’4’’! Also, felt squished at times between bushes. Overall, glad I did this hike, at least once!

Awesome views, but my body hurts after that incline! Lol.

Great hike.. Just need to wear proper shoes next time and drink more water. It was a moderate hike for me.. Will go back in the fall when the weather is cooler.

Great hike! Did it in preparation for the 6 peak loop which I’ll hopefully tackle in the next couple weeks. That said I took the trail clockwise and got all the elevation out of the way first and in my opinion you get the best views that way. Trail ended up being more like 8.5 miles and I made it back down in just over 3 hours moving pretty quickly. Diablo has some of the best hikes the Bay Area has to offer!

don’t underestimate this one! lots of incline then decline then higher incline. great views

Eagle Peak Loop Mitchell Canyon Rd-Meridian Ridge Rd-Eagle Peak Rd-Mitchell Rock Trail-Oak Road Great trail if you're looking for a rough hike on Mt Diablo that does not go all the way to the summit of Mt Diablo. This is a tough hike but saw people of all ages out on the trails. Photos- Lots of photo opportunities on Eagle Peak Trail Suggestion Route - This is subjective and depends what your preferences are for hiking trails. Most people prefer to start the loop by making a left and going up Oak Rd to Mitchell Rock Trail to Eagle Peak. This is a steeper incline with tight trails and loose gravel at the top but easier on the knees when you are heading downhill on the open Mitchell Canyon Rd fire trail. Elevations - You will hike up approx 2,198 feet up on this trail and goes almost 3/4 of the way up the mountain to an elevation of 2,369. Terrain-The terrain on the Mitchell Canyon fire road and Meridian Ridge is packed dirt and with some loose gravel. You probably do not need hiking poles for this portion of the trail. Eagle Peak is a skinny trail with steep drop offs and loose gravel. A set of hiking poles would be helpful but not necessary. Mitchell Rock trail is a tight trail with packed dirt. Parking - The Mitchell Canyon park entrance is a suggested place to park. This can be a busy lot on the weekends but they do provide a few options for parking. Make sure that you bring exactly $6.00 for parking fees. Bathrooms and water are available at the visitor center but not on the trails. You'd have to hike 3/4 way up the mountain up to the Juniper Trail campground or the Summit if you need water or to use the restrooms. Tips Look out for the poison ivy and poison oak! Bring at least 2 liters of water and sunscreen!

Did this hike counter-clockwise, going up the Back Creek Trail. This wasn't what we had planned--we were heading for the Falls Trail but turned too soon. Most of the elevation gain on this hike is on a trail that just ... keeps ... heading ... up. Not many switchbacks to catch your breath on a traverse. But once you get to the top, the views are worth it. In a lot of places, the trail is pretty rutted due to the recent rains which makes the long slog up a little tougher and the steep walk down more slide-y. I don't hike with poles, but on this hike, I wouldn't have minded having them. Wild flowers are getting started!

Went on this hike clockwise, it was challenging going uphill for sure and you definitely want to have hiking boots with good traction because of loose rocks. There are quite a few spots to stop and look at a good view of the quarry and city. The way back north from the halfway point is pretty boring because it's just a dirt road straight downhill. Next time I might take Back Creek Trail back to the Mitchell Canyon Visitor Center. Plenty of parking here FYI. 2/24/2019

enjoy the last month of free parking . Regency drive is going to be RESIDENTIAL Permit parking soon. While it was fun hosting all the hikers for several years. it will be nice to enjoy our quiet neighborhood again. Go to Mitchell Canyon to enjoy the park.

Sunday, June 10, 2018

Beautiful clear day. Great training hike. Lots of elevation gain and views to go along with it. The falls are still trickling, but not for long as summer roles around.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

An alternative to the Eagle Peak loop shown on Alltrails is a Back Creek-Mitchell Canyon loop, which we did clockwise. The handout given to us at the visitor center shows the Eagle Peak-Back Creek loop, and this was our original intent. But: When we got to Murchio gap (huff-puff) and after our snack break, we hiked a couple hundred yards north toward Eagle Peak, got to a fabulous lookout, which is very close to the elevation of Eagle Peak. At that point we decided there was little reason to continue on to Eagle Peak, so we returned to Murchio Gap and took the trail to Deer Flat, down Mitchell Canyon to the parking lot. Mitchell Canyon was lovely, and it was a very warm day, so we were happy to have the shade! Total distance: About 7.5 miles, maybe 1 mile longer than the Back Creek-Eagle Peak loop, but actually slightly less climbing, because from Murchio Gap to Eagle Peak, the trail drops (200 ft?), then goes back up to the peak, all in the sun. We saw quite a lot of poison oak, even in a couple of places hanging over the trail at hand- or face-height. One person in our group of 4 found ticks on his legs when we got back to the car.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Went for a Memorial Day hike up to Eagle Peak. I hadn't been here in 10 years and it was exactly like I remembered. Hot, dry, steep, but most of all beautiful and fun. We actually did this loop in reverse, which I found preferable, and we only encountered one other group on the trail. Bring lots of water and a small garbage back to pack out the rare garbage you might see along the way. There is a cache at Eagle Peak with a notebook to leave your mark. Some people even leave a small gift for the next folks.

Saturday, May 05, 2018

ALTERNATE ROUTE TO MOUNT DIABLO SUMMIT. Start at the visitor center then go counter clockwise on Mitchell Canyon Road. At the fork in the road take Meridian Ranch Road. From Meridian Ranch Road take Deer Flat Road towards the Juniper Campground. At the Juniper Campground take the Juniper Trail to the lower summit parking lot. Take the Summit Trail at the other end of the parking lot to reach the Mount Diablo Summit. Take the same route back to the visitor center to complete the hike. Hike is approximately 14 miles and took me 6 hours to complete. The Mount Diablo Park representatives are extremely friendly and helpful. I encountered one while on the trail who made sure I knew where I was going and that I had enough water. I needed about 3 liters of water mixed with Gatorade to stay properly hydrated. I encountered two sun basking rattlesnakes in the middle of the trail during the warm part of the day so beware. The scenery is beautiful with lush vegetation and absolutely incredible views of The Bay. A unique and memorable hiking experience.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Hiked up this morning, it’s absolutely beautiful and well worth the steep way up. Early spring is perfect weather, but be sure to bring layers, sunscreen, shoes with good traction, extra water and snacks, you’ll need the pep to your step. Took us about 4hrs at a moderate pace. Singing also helps :)

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Hard trail. Great views. But hard for novices. Doable if you hike it early.

Monday, January 15, 2018

Did this hike today. Yes, it's hard. It's also super worth it! The views are amazing. In fact today we were above the clouds and it was gorgeous. Will do it again. It took me 4 hours to complete but no doubt a more accomplished hiker could do it in less.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

Steep and rocky in places, with long tunnels of chaparral to boot, but absolutely gorgeous views emerge to reward you.

Monday, August 14, 2017

loved it. very slippery rocks. wear good shoes.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Hard. Hot. Beautiful!!

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Awesome run starting at Regency. 12 mile loop. Difficult rated for a reason but well worth it for the views and scenery. Not much shade. Got lost after taking a wrong turn towards the end but truly had a blast. Take plenty of water and fuel.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Great walk. Did it from Regency gate to get an early start. Made the summit around 8:00 a.m. Spectacular views. Walked clockwise (steep part first). Much easier on the knees. Take trekking poles. You'll be glad you did!

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Beautiful view on July 3rd. I imagine it's much better in fall and spring. SUMMER Hike - I recommend bringing at least two liters of water for the summer hike. Even you start early (8am per published park open hours) you will still be experiencing high temperature for the second half. Be ready to sweat ALOT. Decent - Poles and boots with traction help ! Your knees will thank you.

Monday, July 03, 2017

This hike was gorgeous! My friend and I didn't have any intention of going all the way to the top, but once we got to Mitchell rock, we decided it was too short and kept going. It was challenging, for sure, as its pretty steep and the way down was really tough on the knees. The views along the way cannot be captured in pictures, they were too spectacular and absolutely worth the work! Things I would recommend: 1. Bring snacks and water! It's about 4 miles up, you're going to need a protein bar or two! 2. A LOT of the trail is not under the shade, especially towards the top, so bring your sunscreen! 3. Make sure you have good hiking shoes or shoes w/ great grip. Hiking back down, is steep and you will definitely need the traction so you don't fall off the side of Mt Diablo Have fun!

Saturday, June 10, 2017

It was a Beautiful morning for a hike... definitely challenges you..

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Twin and Eagle Peaks via Regency Neighborhood. Great way to summit Eagle Peak. The mountain is looking really healthly from the winter rains. Go early to avoid the crowds. No one going up, but coming down on the fire road I passed many groups.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Good short hike, with nice stretches of uphill to keep you working hard. Great view from the top. Spring is a great time of year with the flowers. If you go up and back from the east side you can stay in the shade in the afternoon.

Monday, May 15, 2017

It was Great, difficult but Great took us a lot longer than we thought.....our tracker tracked 8.1...I fell I'm bruised and sore.. our friend also fell she rolled over and fell a good distance she was pretty messed up Bloody and brusied.