Learn more

Eagle Peak Loop is a 7.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Clayton, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Length 7.6 mi Elevation gain 2,198 ft Route type Loop

Facilities
Contact
Tips
Getting There

The lush greenery of Mitchell Canyon leads to an invigorating climb to Eagle Peak (2,369'), a favorite of local hikers. Everybody loves to visit the summit of Mount Diablo, but many seasoned San Francisco Bay Area hikers prefer this hike to Eagle Peak via Mitchell Canyon, which takes in all the features that make Mount Diablo State Park unique. Mitchell Canyon is shady with abundant wildflowers in the spring; Eagle Peak culminates a rugged hike to jaw-dropping vistas of the East Bay and surrounding terrain. On a clear winter day you might be able to spot the snow-capped peaks of the Sierra Nevada.

Park hours: 8 a.m. to sunset Parking fee: $6 per vehicle at Mitchell Canyon trailhead.

Contact: 925-837-2525

Best time to go is in springtime when the wildflowers are out in full bloom, though be prepared for muddy trails if it has rained recently. Next best time is a clear day in the heart of winter a few days after a strong storm blows through. The views are astounding after a sky-cleansing rain.

Driving directions: From I-680 at Walnut Creek, take Ygnacio Valley Road to Clayton Road. Turn right on Clayton Road and right on Mitchell Canyon Road, then drive to the end. There is a ranger station there and a parking fee is required. Elevation 700'.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (269)
Photos (1570)
Recordings (237)
Completed (799)
Akshada Rasam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 29 2020
HikingNo shade

A thumbs up hike during the quarantine season as the trail is less crowded. The trail starts off with a broad fire road and ends with a very narrow trail for which I would suggest to carry trekking poles. The view changes,from amazing to awesome, at the the Murchio Gap where trails depart in every direction. Enjoy the light breezes on the return leg. If you’re planning on this one in the summers make sure you care ample amount of water as the direct sunlight and steep elevations makes one all the more dehydrated.

Brian Pederson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 19 2020
HikingNo shade

In warm weather, this is a tough one, really. It’s deserving of the “hard” rating. The climb and descent are pretty steep, as others had suggested I’d very, very, very strongly encourage trail poles. I didn’t have them and I really regret it, especially on the descent, my knees are very sore now. The primary thing at play here is the direct sun exposure- I did this in June on an average summer day with a high of 88. During the ascent the sun just beats directly on you and makes everything that much more exhausting. Anyone who isn’t highly conditioned at water conservation I’d recommend at the BARE MINIMUM to bring 2.5L of water if you’re doing this in the summer. Next time I do this I’m going to bring 4L as I hate coming close to exhausting my water. In the winter/on cooler days this hike would be a lot easier.

R M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 14 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

This trail was great! Not a lot of shade, but lovely open views of the surrounding hillsides. We also spotted many birds. We did this as a training hike for a longer trip.

View R's Recording
Daniel Lao
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 31 2020
HikingNo shade

The hike took about 5 total hours. Parking at Mitchell canyon is recommended. It’s open during Covid times but make sure to pay the $6. I saw a park ranger dishing out a few tickets. I took a few breaks and there’s definitely little to no shade. But overall it’s a decent hike could be used for trail running. No dogs though.

View Daniel's Recording
Bradley Leung
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Apr 01 2020

rocky but very fun

Mario Velasquez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Mar 30 2020
HikingFeeOver grownRockyScramble
Venus At Feliciano
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Mar 01 2020
View Venus's Recording
Lupe Santacruz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Feb 14 2020
HikingRocky

Highly recommend coming out here. The trail is more in the moderate side than hard.

View Lupe's Recording
Bofeng Hu
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Feb 09 2020

Very windy

View Bofeng's Recording
Krista Stillmunkes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Dec 24 2019

Good hike, though difficult. It’s closer to 8.5 miles

View Krista's Recording
Dylan Taylor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Dec 20 2019
Hiking

View from the top of Eagle Peak is purportedly the most expansive view distance-wise in California (except for atop Mount Diablo, of course). The snow-capped Sierras were easily spottable yesterday. We took the hike counterclockwise. Two miles on a gradual 4x4 road before the ~2,000 feet of climb begins. Second half of the hike (down from Eagle Peak to Mitchell Rock) is single-track, steep, and exceptionally rocky at times. While the trail is clearly marked, the shift between an established 4x4 road and a washed-out blaze through the vegetation might be jarring. Glad I brought poles, otherwise my knees would be pretty beat up now.

Michael Woodley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Nov 24 2019
HikingFeeRocky

Gorgeous and difficult trail. We parked in the Mitchell Canyon Staging Area and went clockwise. The climb to Eagle peak is tough, but completely worth it! It was gorgeous at the top and gave really nice views of the east bay and the face of Diablo. We met some cool people along the way too which is always a plus. Just a heads up, there are some really steep sections with loose rock. We had poles, and saw other folks get through those sections without poles but I would very much recommend them. I use them on all my hikes, but if you don’t, it might be a good idea to use them in some sections. All in all, fantastic trail that was boatloads of fun.

View Michael's Recording
Michael Woodley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Nov 10 2019
HikingFeeRocky

Had to turn back a little after twin peaks due to stomach issues, but I will be back to finish this beast of a hike! My butt definitely got kicked today haha.

View Michael's Recording
Sasha Strambler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Oct 22 2019
HikingOver grownRocky

Don’t take the trail clockwise take it counterclockwise 5 miles into it closewise it gets way to steep to hike down . I fell and slipped so many times . Plus it’s better to go straight up hill first then go gradually down hill then to gradually go uphill and have a steep down hill

View Sasha's Recording
chris murrell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Oct 19 2019
HikingRocky

Good moderate to hard hike. It’s 8.1 miles though not 7.6. I don’t see hiking poles as optional here though. Proper shoes and poles are a smart persons choice. Recommend clockwise eagle peak trail to Mitchell Canyon. Nice steep rocky workout going up with moderate to steep fire road descent. October is tarantula season and we saw two.

View chris's Recording
Wishingonastar Z.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 22 2019
HikingRocky

We hiked Mitchell Canyon and Eagles Peak loop. Eagle Peak is such a beautiful trail, that made all of elevations gain rewarded. It was rocky! So I am thinking it is probably easier to start with the Eagle Peak and finish with Mitchell Canyon. Going downhill at a steep rocky trail can be dangerous. Overall it was such a fun day!

Ismael Amado
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Aug 25 2019
HikingRocky

hard start with a smooth finish down Mitchell Rd. this was a great hike. It was a challenge but the pay off was gorgeous.

View Ismael's Recording
Amber B.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Aug 04 2019
Hiking

I hiked 6.88 miles, starting at Regency Dr. I took the Back Creek Trail to the Eagle Peak Trail Loop. I burned 1,300 active calories and got up to 2,369 ft. It took me 3.5 hours with some stopping for pics and water breaks. I slipped three times coming down the mountain, so make sure you wear shoes with good grip! The trail wasn’t busy at all - maybe because it’s hot and it’s August. Besides the trees, nothing else was green. lol. I only saw two people. Only some parts of the trail are shaded so wear sunscreen and bring enough water! The view from the top was worth the climb! I would love to see the sunset from up there! I wouldn’t do this hike again, because I didn’t like how I had to duck, quite often, through the small parts of the trail. But, I am 6’4’’! Also, felt squished at times between bushes. Overall, glad I did this hike, at least once!

Samantha Moore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 08 2019
Rocky

Awesome views, but my body hurts after that incline! Lol.

Patrick Dorn Jr.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 28 2019
Hiking

Great hike.. Just need to wear proper shoes next time and drink more water. It was a moderate hike for me.. Will go back in the fall when the weather is cooler.

Daniel Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon May 27 2019
HikingBugs
View Daniel's Recording
Ty Jacob
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Apr 23 2019
Annika Kooistra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Apr 17 2019
Hiking

don’t underestimate this one! lots of incline then decline then higher incline. great views

View Annika's Recording