Eagle Peak Loop

Eagle Peak Loop is a 7.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Clayton, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

The lush greenery of Mitchell Canyon leads to an invigorating climb to Eagle Peak (2,369'), a favorite of local hikers. Everybody loves to visit the summit of Mount Diablo, but many seasoned San Francisco Bay Area hikers prefer this hike to Eagle Peak via Mitchell Canyon, which takes in all the features that make Mount Diablo State Park unique. Mitchell Canyon is shady with abundant wildflowers in the spring; Eagle Peak culminates a rugged hike to jaw-dropping vistas of the East Bay and surrounding terrain. On a clear winter day you might be able to spot the snow-capped peaks of the Sierra Nevada.

Beautiful clear day. Great training hike. Lots of elevation gain and views to go along with it. The falls are still trickling, but not for long as summer roles around.

An alternative to the Eagle Peak loop shown on Alltrails is a Back Creek-Mitchell Canyon loop, which we did clockwise. The handout given to us at the visitor center shows the Eagle Peak-Back Creek loop, and this was our original intent. But: When we got to Murchio gap (huff-puff) and after our snack break, we hiked a couple hundred yards north toward Eagle Peak, got to a fabulous lookout, which is very close to the elevation of Eagle Peak. At that point we decided there was little reason to continue on to Eagle Peak, so we returned to Murchio Gap and took the trail to Deer Flat, down Mitchell Canyon to the parking lot. Mitchell Canyon was lovely, and it was a very warm day, so we were happy to have the shade! Total distance: About 7.5 miles, maybe 1 mile longer than the Back Creek-Eagle Peak loop, but actually slightly less climbing, because from Murchio Gap to Eagle Peak, the trail drops (200 ft?), then goes back up to the peak, all in the sun.
We saw quite a lot of poison oak, even in a couple of places hanging over the trail at hand- or face-height. One person in our group of 4 found ticks on his legs when we got back to the car.

Went for a Memorial Day hike up to Eagle Peak. I hadn't been here in 10 years and it was exactly like I remembered. Hot, dry, steep, but most of all beautiful and fun. We actually did this loop in reverse, which I found preferable, and we only encountered one other group on the trail.

Bring lots of water and a small garbage back to pack out the rare garbage you might see along the way. There is a cache at Eagle Peak with a notebook to leave your mark. Some people even leave a small gift for the next folks.

ALTERNATE ROUTE TO MOUNT DIABLO SUMMIT. Start at the visitor center then go counter clockwise on Mitchell Canyon Road. At the fork in the road take Meridian Ranch Road. From Meridian Ranch Road take Deer Flat Road towards the Juniper Campground. At the Juniper Campground take the Juniper Trail to the lower summit parking lot. Take the Summit Trail at the other end of the parking lot to reach the Mount Diablo Summit. Take the same route back to the visitor center to complete the hike. Hike is approximately 14 miles and took me 6 hours to complete.

The Mount Diablo Park representatives are extremely friendly and helpful. I encountered one while on the trail who made sure I knew where I was going and that I had enough water. I needed about 3 liters of water mixed with Gatorade to stay properly hydrated. I encountered two sun basking rattlesnakes in the middle of the trail during the warm part of the day so beware. The scenery is beautiful with lush vegetation and absolutely incredible views of The Bay. A unique and memorable hiking experience.

Hiked up this morning, it’s absolutely beautiful and well worth the steep way up. Early spring is perfect weather, but be sure to bring layers, sunscreen, shoes with good traction, extra water and snacks, you’ll need the pep to your step. Took us about 4hrs at a moderate pace. Singing also helps :)

Hard trail. Great views. But hard for novices. Doable if you hike it early.

Did this hike today. Yes, it's hard. It's also super worth it! The views are amazing. In fact today we were above the clouds and it was gorgeous. Will do it again. It took me 4 hours to complete but no doubt a more accomplished hiker could do it in less.

Steep and rocky in places, with long tunnels of chaparral to boot, but absolutely gorgeous views emerge to reward you.

loved it. very slippery rocks. wear good shoes.

Hard. Hot. Beautiful!!

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Awesome run starting at Regency. 12 mile loop. Difficult rated for a reason but well worth it for the views and scenery. Not much shade. Got lost after taking a wrong turn towards the end but truly had a blast. Take plenty of water and fuel.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Great walk. Did it from Regency gate to get an early start. Made the summit around 8:00 a.m. Spectacular views. Walked clockwise (steep part first). Much easier on the knees. Take trekking poles. You'll be glad you did!

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Beautiful view on July 3rd. I imagine it's much better in fall and spring.
SUMMER Hike - I recommend bringing at least two liters of water for the summer hike. Even you start early (8am per published park open hours) you will still be experiencing high temperature for the second half. Be ready to sweat ALOT.
Decent - Poles and boots with traction help ! Your knees will thank you.

Monday, July 03, 2017

This hike was gorgeous! My friend and I didn't have any intention of going all the way to the top, but once we got to Mitchell rock, we decided it was too short and kept going. It was challenging, for sure, as its pretty steep and the way down was really tough on the knees.

The views along the way cannot be captured in pictures, they were too spectacular and absolutely worth the work!

Things I would recommend:
1. Bring snacks and water! It's about 4 miles up, you're going to need a protein bar or two!
2. A LOT of the trail is not under the shade, especially towards the top, so bring your sunscreen!
3. Make sure you have good hiking shoes or shoes w/ great grip. Hiking back down, is steep and you will definitely need the traction so you don't fall off the side of Mt Diablo
Have fun!

Saturday, June 10, 2017

It was a Beautiful morning for a hike... definitely challenges you..

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Twin and Eagle Peaks via Regency Neighborhood. Great way to summit Eagle Peak. The mountain is looking really healthly from the winter rains. Go early to avoid the crowds. No one going up, but coming down on the fire road I passed many groups.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Good short hike, with nice stretches of uphill to keep you working hard. Great view from the top. Spring is a great time of year with the flowers. If you go up and back from the east side you can stay in the shade in the afternoon.

Monday, May 15, 2017

It was Great, difficult but Great took us a lot longer than we thought.....our tracker tracked 8.1...I fell I'm bruised and sore.. our friend also fell she rolled over and fell a good distance she was pretty messed up Bloody and brusied.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Good hike while going up towards the peak (clockwise from mitchell canyon parking lot). Keeps stretching at incline but nothing that discourages you because of the views on your side. Wouldn't say it hard but more of moderate. Total time is 4 hrs with around 2.5 hrs mostly uphill. Coming down the trail got boring with no changes in scenery and easy (sometimes steep) decline in elevation.

Monday, May 08, 2017

If you like views, this one is great. The trail starts out going up and it keeps going up. There is one section which is level for about 250 yards, then it's back to climbing. This trail in my opinion, is the best one from the gate where waterfalls, back creek, and meridian ridge trail heads are. The trail itself is not riddled with holes, and obstacles to overcome. It's wide enough to pass without bumping. The view at the top is stunning. If you want, you can take it all the way to the summit. That adds on a few miles, which brings the total up to 11.5 miles via prospectors gap, then summit trail. My wife and I love this trail.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Monday, April 24, 2017

Hiked this with my daughter yesterday. Beautiful views and the wildflowers were amazing!

Saturday, April 22, 2017

This is a dandy of a little hike. The wild flowers alone on this hike make it 5 stars. If you continue another 1-1.5 miles there's a great vantage point to ransom point. Overall I'd highly recommend this hike. Has everything you could ask for. Get there early to beat the crowds.

Monday, April 10, 2017

A bit of a climb but well worth it!!

Monday, April 10, 2017

We hiked this counter-clockwise beginning the muddy/steep sections. Better than descending down into the mud. The wild flowers are outrageous right now!

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Completed a slight variation of the loop. Started at Donner Canyon road and curled around from the back creek trail to the Eagle Peaks portion. Amazing scenery from the top of the peak and diverse ascent and descent from both sides. Tired but very worth the climb!

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

I recommend doing this clockwise if you want a safer/easier decent, but you ascent will be rocky and steeper. I did this counter clockwise and it was awesome. Views were spectacular and temps in mid 40's were not bothersome, in fact all i had on was a t-shirt and shorts ( you get warm very fast). I recommend good hiking shoes and maybe a long sleeve shirt for going through bushy area of the trail. Don't need much water (idk about summer) if the creek is flowing. I preferred the creek water as it tasted better than the tap water in my hydration pack ( of course with a filter). Not an easy trail and you will be sore afterwards. Take very short breaks 1 min then hike when ascending. Longer breaks will just get you lazy. Have fun!

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Fun hike. The trail is well marked.

Thursday, January 05, 2017

Definitely a good hike and workout to do during winters. I found the second half ( - after eagle peak )of the hike prettier than the first. Will definitely recommend hiking poles for the downhill. Very rocky and unstable. Fell down a bunch of times despite taking care.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

After doing this loop a few times, my preference is doing the trail in reverse from what is recommended. The ascent up mitchell rock / eagle peak might might be harder, but I prefer it to the rocky steep descent.