Eagle Lake Trail

Eagle Lake Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Leading into the heart of Desolation Wilderness (a permit is required), the Eagle Lake trail offers forest, lake and far reaching views of Lake Tahoe and the Sierra high country. At the Eagle Falls trailhead, obtain your wilderness permit. Head SW up the trail, climbing gently at first, then ascending a steep set of stone steps. Climb the stairs about 5 minutes to the falls and the short loop trail. Cross the high bridge and enjoy the vista back down the canyon to Emerald Bay. To continue on to Eagle Lake, follow the trail gradually uphill another half mile or so until you reach a fork. The right hand trail leads to the lake, resting in a glacial cirque below North Maggies Peak (about 20-25 more minutes, this is a good hike for children). Take a swim in the cold! Eagle Lake waters, or keep going further to reach Velmas, Dicks, and Fontanillis lakes. The trail can be crowded but offers a great workout and good places to picnic near Eagle Lake on big boulders.

I did this hike for my birthday in August. A bit challenging, especially the stone stairs past Upper Eagle falls, but very worth it! To date, this was my favorite hike. I suffer from chronic pain and this hike was a goal of mine and I completed it with just a few resting points. Amazing views!!

This is a challenging trail. Spend time on a good stair climber if you’re over 50.

Short, sweet, and easy, but absolutely gorgeous. Haven't done this in a very long time, but miss it terribly.

Awesome and easy hike! Views are breath taking. I suggest getting there (if going on the weekends) early in the am between 8-9 am. You’ll beat the rush as anything past 10 am you can forget about finding a parking spot.

first 1/4 all stairs so that part is tough but it's an amazing trail the views are spectacular

Amazing views along the entire trail but once you reach the lake it is really something else. Worth every step.

Perfect views
Easy trail
Enjoy it

Beautiful day. Less people there; school kids are ‘in’. Perfect weather.

Simple and easy hike with a Great Lake at the end to swim in. Recommend for a relaxed walk.

Beautiful views. Short hike. Not very hard.

Great for dogs! Lots of stairs. ❤️

Awesome trail. Quick and easy. You can relax at the pool just past the bridge.

Hike was easy with limited moderate spots. Just beautiful but what can I say, it is Tahoe! Go early to secure a parking spot.

just beautiful.

Third time we have been on the trail over the past twelve years. Love it! Serenity up in the mountains.

Great family hike. Takes about 30 minutes

A short hike to a beautiful lake to swim in.

Loved it! It took us about 30 minutes to get to Eagle Lake and about 20 to get back down. It is a little strenuous in the beginning with lots of steps to climb but it’s a good, quick workout. The lake was warm enough to get into it and truly a hidden gem! It would be fun to take inflatable paddle boards and spend some time on the lake itself.

Great little hike with a great swimming lake at the end.
Parking is problematic as the Emerald Bay hi way traffics terrible.

This hike was beautiful! Lots of Incline in the beginning but I took my time to enjoy the view. The lake was breathtaking. It was such a treat to swim in the lake. Bring water shoes if you plan to walk into the lake.

A family favorite for many years. It never fails to delight. The granite peaks to the north against a deep blue sky are a sight I look forward to each time we hike this trail.

What a great adventure to take your family on during a day off! Make sure you arrive very early for easier parking! We went on a Monday and there were still an abundant amount of people, literally hundreds on the trail but every single person we met were friendly. I took my Fiancé and German Shepard, what a blast we had.

The trail is very dog friendly and quite a few people brought their extra family member on the trail. There are some steep parts so if uphill is a challenge for you normally watch out for it. A lot of beautiful spots to take pictures and videos with scenery. I will bring a tripod and a go pro next time for the most experiences.

The end result was fantastic with the beautiful Eagle Lake. Some people were fishing and swimming, others were relaxing in the water or shore. The lake was well worth the time it took finding a parking spot.

Great views and dog friendly

Awesome views. A bear crossed the trail in front of us on the way back down. The hike to the lake is easier than the nearby Bayview trail to Granite lake.

Beautiful hike. Our family did it on July 10, 2018 and the kids (11yrs and 6yrs) loved it. We got there by 9:00am so the trail wasn’t too crowded. We hiked around to the right side of the lake and it was so quite and peaceful. The water was clear and cold. I definitely recommend this hike.

This is a short and sweet trail with great view and a nice little lake (Eagle Lake) that you can dip in. There are also waterfalls right by the lake that you can reach. This hike is great for families and doggies :). We spent some time at the lake and enjoyed it a lot. Parking (alone the road) is limited but not too bad.

Beautiful Hike. My 10year old daughter Ella loved it. She walked around in the lake.

Eagle lake at the top is worth the hike. Water is crystal clear. You can swim in the lake.

Loved the hike! My 4 year old and 8 year old girls geeked the entire path without a complaint and LOVED getting in the Lake when we got there!

This was a great hike. The spectacular lake view at the end is worth every step. The hike had views around every corner and after the falls the number of people dropped off dramatically. The large trees along the path keeps you in shade for most of the trip.