Eagle Bay Vikingsholm Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(122)
Emerald Bay State Park

Eagle Bay Vikingsholm Loop is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 479 feet Route Type: Out & Back

icy

I wish I could post some pictures. I'm really happy with the choice I've made.

Started at the parking lot of Emerald Bay State Park. There’s an area you can take pictures of the lake from above or if you’re feeling a little extra adventurous you can climb the big rocks for a higher view. You can see the island that’s hime to the Tea House. Made my way down to the trail and walked along the shoreline. There’s a pier you can walk on. I then followed the Rubicon Trail. Once on the trail you’ll cross over a few bridges and get to see some subtle fall foliage. There’s an area you reach where you almost feel like the trail ended and you’re just in the center of nowhere but if you keep walking ahead you’re back on track. As you get further into the trail you start to catch a glimpse of the bay and the mountain backdrop. On the way back I decided to take a quick detour to Lone Falls. It’s only 0.2 miles from the Rubicon starting point (look at the sign). The way back to the parking lot was pretty rigorous. Overall a great workout with worthy views. Doing this during fall was perfect. Weather was in the mid 50s. There were people but not overwhelming. I walked past less than a handful of people on the trail the entire time.

We visited this park on way out of Tahoe. Parking is limited so we ended up parking on the highway. Just off parking lot are great vistas of Emerald Bay. It's a paved path down to the lake. We rented kayaks and paddled out to Fannette Island. There's a cool 'house' at the top and a few places you can jump off rocks into the lake. Once back to shore, kids swam in the shallow water. (too cold for us adults). From there, we hiked up to Eagle falls. On way out, it's a steady uphill climb back up to parking lot. Lots of benches along the way for those folks that need a break on way up!

Nice views. Small parking lot.

lots of people, paved, added lower eagle falls. great views of emerald bay.

This is NOT a loop. There’s no marked trail beyond the falls! It’s fenced off — you’re not even supposed to go scaling the huge rock face. It’s a super pretty hike, and worth your while, but you should know that it’s more like a 4-5 mile out-and-back, NOT a loop. Seriously, there’s no actual trail to complete the loop — AllTrails map even shows the dotted line trail ending!

Parked at Vikingsholm parking lot ($3/hr, $10/day), then hiked down to Vikingsholm mansion. From there you can see signs that lead you to Lower Eagle Falls. Such amazing views!!

amazing views

The trail down is quite boring. I guess you could just park down at vikingsholm or Rubicon trailhead for smaller distance. The trail up is not well marked at all. I tried going down that route and it was just impossible to follow even with AllTrails gps. I saw one other person also turn back because he couldn't find the trail. Coming up the same trail was a bit easier but still not marked at all.

Tue May 28 2019

Felt pretty crowded for a Tuesday. The architecture was cool and we got our heart rate going heading back up the hill but I don’t think I’ll return here. We did swing by Lower Eagle Falls which was pretty, but the whole experience felt very touristy overall.

The trail offers really good views: the bay, the mountains, the falls. The vikingsholm part is pretty easy but the eagles falls part is climbing rocks though. If you park on Eagles Falls trailhead is free and when you end the hike you're back right where you're parked. Did this hike on 4/20/19 and there was a lot of snow on the eagles falls part and it's not safe because you can't see the trail.

Fri Mar 22 2019

awesome snowy hike to the lake with beautiful falls all the way down. the Vikingsholm was nice and few people on trail.

Tue Aug 28 2018

I would consider this an easy hike for someone that has hiked before. If you have not hiked then it’s going to be a harder time. The loop is a very easy type, If you go all the way to the lake it is harder and obviously it does take longer.

Thu Aug 23 2018

This trail leads you through Vikingsholm and connects to the rubicon trail, but the map on here is incorrect. You Can’t get past the lower eagle falls vista point unless you are in very good shape and can scale mountains fairly easily. Not worth the hike up, just turn back at Vikingsholm if you don’t plan on continuing onto rubicon trail.

Fri Jul 27 2018

We enjoyed this hike. Would recommend for beginners or if you're hiking with children. We found trails very easy. Beautiful waterfall with great views of Emerald Bay!

Sat May 26 2018

Beautifull hiking. Great view to lake.

Fri May 04 2018

We parked in the main lot right by the entrance and laid $10. Weather was good (around noon) and the views were pretty awesome! I’m 7 months pregnant and still completed the hike. So if I can do it, so can you. :)