Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Learn more

Eagle Cliffs Lucky Boy Vista loop

moderate(22)
Joshua Tree National Park

Eagle Cliffs Lucky Boy Vista loop is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Twentynine Palms, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 862 feet Route Type: Loop

Really enjoyed this trail. As stated here, definitely have your phone charged, as GPS is necessary. Sometimes the trail is very subtle, or when following a river bed, previous tracks have been washed away. Also, agree that it’s best clockwise. Beautiful scenes at Lucky Boy Vista and on the way out. Get there early, parking lot was packed by noon. But the morning was spectacular and saw only one other person til the hike out.

This was great trail/route as you were able to see quite a few mines and the preserved home built into the rocks. My recording has it listed at 6 miles because I missed a turn. For the most part you can just follow the trails and it will be a lot easier. If you try to follow this route perfectly. You’ll end up doing some scrambling off trail. Over all, not a bad route, but not recommended for young kids.

icy

A wild winter walk up and over peaks and through valleys. Recently snowy conditions, a lack of a clear trail, and the sheer challenge of the terrain made this a strenuous hike on New Years Eve. 6/6 party members agree it was an outstanding adventure, full of decisions, descents, and delight!

This is a beautiful hike that will take you through some of the lesser seen parts of the park once you get away from the the trailhead area. I agree with others about doing this hike clockwise, unless you want a challenge with a very steep and rocky ascent. On the flip side, the hike down is a bit treacherous and I would recommend sturdy boots and poles; the gravel can slide out from under your feet and you'll end up with a face full of cactus. Definitely make sure your phone is charged because you'll need GPS for the two sections that deviate from established trails. It's easy to get turned around and I found myself backtracking a few times. The ridges were very windy and dusty but the day I hiked there was a windstorm, so probably not an issue on most days.

Hiked this trail in the recommended clockwise direction. I definitely recommend having the app and GPS when hiking this trail. If I hadn't had it today I don't think we would have been able to stick to the plan, and hike this trail. At first the trail was easy, even the fist section that requires you to go off trail to link up with Lucky Boy Vista Loop. But, the section where we had to walk down the wash to get from Lucky Boy to Desert Queen Mine Trail was more challenging. The wash had a section filled with large boulders that required some work to navigate through and around. The other area that is a challenge is coming down the Eagle Cliff Mine trail heading back toward Split Rock trail. It's much steeper than I had anticipated and there were several areas with loose rocks that made keeping your feet under you a real concern. We made it with no real issues, it just turned out to be longer and more challenging than anticipated. It was worth the trip and we did enjoy the Hike. The boulder house was very interesting. I would recommend that anyone in decent hiking shape hike this trail. If you're new to hiking or not quite physically ready for climbing over boulders and sliding down slopes to be aware of the possible challenges. As always, take water there isn't any where to get it on the trail.

Went clockwise like someone else recommended and would definitely say that’s the way to go unless you want a steeper climb. The section between split rock trail and the lucky boy trail is a desert bushwhack - so know how to use your map. I also elected to stay on trial at a couple of points where this loop and the actual trail deviate, but it’s a great loop overall. The eagle cliffs house is awesome, and saw a tortoise.

Sun Mar 24 2019

This trail, as recorded, deviates from established trails in 3 areas and is difficult to follow without GPS. We did it clockwise to put the steep portion at the end as a downhill. It's a great hike with some bouldering if you choose to follow the recorded track and lots of vistas. The Eagle Cliff Boulder House is a fun "prize" for your efforts.

Wed Mar 13 2019

The Lucky Boy Loop will take you to the Lucky Boy Vista. As I have mentioned in previous Joshua Tree reviews, I appreciate the desert. As I hiked and photographed along the Lucky Boy Loop, I thought about some cowboys hiding out in the rocks of Joshua Tree, running from a posse. The trail is dynamic in that it changes from rocky terrain to soft sand and back again. It disappears among the rocks, but somehow you are able to follow it. As a photographer, the hike took longer than it would without all the stops. You are about 4500' elevation. Take plenty of water.