Learn more

Dyar Springs Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Descanso, California that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for hiking, running, and backpacking.

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 807 feet Route Type: Loop

You have to take Harvey Moore Trail to get to Dyar Springs Trail. Dyar Springs was heavily overgrown, I would wear pants, and bring some boots because there may be mud. I could hear rattles on the meadow so keep an eye out. Not the most pleasant trail but had some nice views. The app guided me off of Dyar Springs Trail and onto Juaqapin Trail, then back to the East Side Trail.

Yes it’s overgrown on much of the route, yes we were growled at by a big cat in adjacent brush, and yes we jumped a trail-sunning snake, but this trail is a little more adventurous than the more heavily trafficked runs nearby. A five star experience on a three star trail! Average it out! Easy loop; I wouldn’t call it moderate. Not much sense of ascent or descent really. Definitely overgrown; wear long pants. We did not see any other people, which for me is a big plus. Only hike this alone if you’re super comfortable as our big cat experience was up close - I would have been terrified alone.

This hike was indubitably the pinnacle of my multitude of worldly travels around the globe of possibilities, both literal and figurative and metaphorical. As I stepped out of my bronze ’96 Nissan Quest, the dirt from the parking lot engulfed my new Newton Ridge Canvas Waterproof Hiking Boots as my initiation into the terrain; my sacrifice to the gods of nature being the cleanliness of my boots. As I traversed towards the entry signs to the Dyar Springs trail, I was reminded of the lyrics to a song with a similar name as I had previously googled in search of insight into my adventure: Dear mother, dear father What is this *radio edit you have put me through? Believer, deceiver Day in, day out, lived my life through you Pushed onto me what's wrong or right Hidden from this thing that they call life Dear mother, dear father Every thought I'd think you'd disapprove Curator, dictator Always censoring my every move Children are seen but are not heard Tear out everything inspired [Refrain] Innocence, torn from me without your shelter Barred reality, I'm living blindly [Verse 2] Dear mother, dear father Time has frozen still, what's left to be? Hear nothing, say nothing Cannot face the fact I think for me No guarantee it's life as is But *radio edit you for not giving me my chance Dear mother, dear father You clipped my wings before I learned to fly Unspoiled, unspoken I’ve outgrown that *radio edit lullaby Same thing I've always heard from you Do as I say, not as I do The song, aptly titled Dyer’s Eve, proved serendipitous, as this was discovered by me the night before, nay, eve of my hike. As I stepped forward, I knew not at that moment that nothing could prepare me for this rollercoaster journey. The only thing missing from this hike was indeed an actual rollercoaster. To read more, subscribe below.

with Pierce and Carly on the 21st of March in the afternoon. it was a beautiful day with a breeze and the sun out. we needed some nature and vitamin D during the quarantine. the creek was flowing with all the rain lately and seems to have washed out some of the trail but not too bad. definitely a narrow trail in a lot of places but it does open up in the grassy areas. heard a lot of frogs in the water but they didn’t come out to say hello. i recommend wearing some long pants and waterproof shoes since some shrubs are overgrown in the trail and you’ll have to cross the creek a few times. it was definitely quite an adventure!

recorded Dyar Springs Trail

Snow hike with Lesley, Robbie, Austin and Natalie

This trail was just ok for me. Scenery a little bland, trail overgrown in some areas, some decent views but I just feel like there are many other much better trails.

recorded Dyar Springs Trail

Sweet hike!

recorded Recording - Aug 25, 09:11 AM

Mon Jun 03 2019

Early June hiking means gorgeous swaths of wildflowers and only a bit of mud at crossings and vernal pools. Midway, this less-trekked trail offers a more wild experience with a gently overgrown but easily navigable path.

Mon May 13 2019

Absolutely amazing trail. Saw mule deer, a bobcat, wild turkeys and more. Although the trail was not clearly defined the grass was pat down to indicate the right direction. Would definitely recommend

Tue Jul 17 2018

Nice trail uphill, then levels off to grassy meadows. Saw wild turkeys and many other birds. Many burned out trees.

Thu Jan 11 2018

Little hard to follow after the rain but nice hike with great views.

Sun Dec 10 2017

This was more of a walk than a hike, but very enjoyable none the less. Would be great for trail running!

Tue Aug 08 2017

Great trail that runs along riparian habitat, small groves of oaks, meadows and into upland scrub. The trail was a bit overgrown with vegetation but we loved it and only encountered 3 other people on a Sunday. Great birding and a decent portion was in the shade which helped protect us from the heat. The flies were out in force, so you might want to bring bug spray and also watch out for some poison oak and rattlesnakes. The elevation increase was spaced out so it was a very easy hike.

Mon Apr 24 2017

We did Dyar Springs as part of a loop that included Harvey Moore and East Mesa. 9.5 miles and very enjoyable with varied terrain and great views

Tue Dec 20 2016

Not much for the first mile in or out but beautiful after that.

Tue Apr 06 2010

Dyar Springs Trail is part of a series of trails in what's known as Cuyamaca's East Mesa. Dyar Springs Trail crosses some beautiful mountain meadows and if you're quiet and attentive, it's possible to see groups of mule deer, wild turkeys, and even coyotes. Birding can be good along this trail, and mountain quail, western scrub jays, stellar's jays, dark-eyes juncos, and soaring hawks, and vultures. The spring is about midway along the trail, though the water is non-potable. East to west the trail is downhill, back to the visitor center parking. Also part of a series of trails on the East Mesa, it can be included in many combinations of varying length, to suit your day.