Learn more

Durphy Creek Trail Loop is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Redway, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November.

Length 3.8 mi Elevation gain 1,167 ft Route type Loop

No dogs

Description
Waypoints (0)
Getting There

To sample Richardson’s diverse habitats, take a 4-mile jaunt on the Lookout Point, Tanoak Springs and Durphy Creek trails. From Madrone Campground, head up the Lookout Point Trail. When the trail forks, stay left, enjoying redwoods and Douglas-firs on the way to Lookout Point. A brief stretch on the trail to Hartsook Inn will bring you to the Tanoak Spring Trail, which heads upward to a forested ridge. From the ridge, the trail descends to Tanoak Spring. Then hike down to Durphy Creek, where the trail levels out among redwoods. When you hit the park road, turn right to return to the trailhead. Great for seeing both streamside redwoods and upland habitat. This area is known for "Bigfoots".

From Highway 101, 15 miles north of Leggett, and approximately 30 miles south of Humboldt Redwoods State Park, turn west into the main entrance for Richardson Grove Redwoods State Park. The road curls immediately to the south to the park entrance station. Continue straight past the Huckleberry Campground entrance, pass through a horseshoe curve, and turn right toward Mandrone Campground (if you pass under the 101, you have gone too far). Durphy Creek Trail begins on the outside of the next horseshoe bend. There is parking on the road below the trailhead for day hikers, and parking at the sites in the campground for those staying overnight. Trailhead address: 1600 Highway 101, Richardson Grove Redwoods State Park, Garberville, CA 95542 Trailhead coordinates: 40.01989, -123.79399 (40° 01′ 11.6″N 123° 47′ 38.36″W)

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (49)
Photos (38)
Recordings (34)
Completed (65)
Katie Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 30, 2020
HikingBugs

You guys! This trail is really long. We took it with our two kids thinking it was 3.8 miles. It’s NOT! For sure it’s 7 miles. If you like hiking, it’s pretty challenging and very beautiful. It’s quiet and you won’t see anyone else. Make sure you bring lots of water and have 3-4 hours to do the trek. I would also recommend a good walking stick or trekking poles.

Henry Dreschler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 25, 2020
Hiking

Pretty trail that is well maintained. More elevation change than expected. Also less redwoods than expected. Overall good trail

View Henry's Recording
Dorothy Zbornak
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 17, 2020
HikingBugs

Harder than I expected. Should have brought more water. Mosquitoes were irritating. But pretty and quiet. If I had not been using app to follow trail I may have veered off, parts of it are not well worn. Again my fitbit told me this was 5.7 miles, longer than the app recorded it as.

Bruce Burger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 4, 2020
HikingBlowdown

July 4th, 2020...huge trees down, blocking trail as you descend toward Duffey Creek, I somehow lost the trail and was trapped in very thick, tangled huckleberry and snags, as I made my way down the hill to the creek. I was making a racket, at times sliding under and then over the thick and tangled huckleberry...which dominated the whole hillside...Then every few minutes, I heard loud animal Cry’s for 15 to 20 minutes...near by...thought maybe it’s a bobcat or something...? At one point, as I was climbing over a big tree, and stood up, waving a stick and yelled at what ever it was that was stalking me..Once it saw that I was big and healthy, not struggling helplessly in the underbrush..It stoped stalking me. It turns out that I Was stalked by..once I got home and listened to animal sounds..a mountain lion. But fortunately lived to tell the tail.... It’s a 7 mile loop... I am 78, 155 Lbs and was hiking alone, without a knife, or even water, I may do things differently next time. I was a fool to not make every effort to get back to the trail where it was blocked by the trees initially... I underestimated how difficult the underbrush was. In my nativity I fortunately was not frightened too much by the mountain lion...and believed that I merely had to continue downhill to the creek to find my way back. I am very luck to be sharing this experience with you...Enjoy!

Sarah Acosta
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 24, 2020
HikingBlowdownBugsOver grown

Okay so I was camping at Richardson Grove the very first day the opened the park back up due to COVID. There were not a lot of people there at all. I was just looking at the map and wanted to do a harder trail... Well, there aren't a lot of options at this park, and the Durphy Creek trail looked steep (i'm judging by the not-so-useful topo map the park gives you) so I decided to add lengthen it by starting up the lookout point trail, then going down to check out this mysterious area on the map that was simply labeled "Old Growth Tree" just right outside park boundary, then back track back up and catch Durphy Creek from there, come out at that end and just walk back to my campsite at Huckleberry. Well I missed the turn for Lookout Point and kept going to the Old Growth Tree which was literally, just an Old Growth Tree. Still, it was a beautiful area to have a snack. I went back up and saw a sign for Lookout Point and decided to backtrack back to it, it was cool. But not the view I was expecting. All of this took about an hour...I thought man this is too easy.... WELL. This trail is A LOT longer than 4 miles, it was more like six. I Did 8 miles total that day....It was uphill almost the whole way, although my altimeter said I only gained a 1,000. I must have really been out of shape because it felt like more! The trail is NOT well worn, I found myself almost going of trail but luckily I realized something wasn't right before I got too far because let me tell you, I SAW NO ONE THE ENTIRE TIME! While I was at the top, there was a freak windstorm and I could hear branches cracking and falling all around me. At some point, I remember just covering my head and running for it. Probably all those logs people were talking about in other reviews, because I only had one to cross (I am reviewing almost a month late). Not only did I have to avoid getting taken out by a tree, but the spiders were insane. WEBS EVERYWHERE. LIKE I'M TALKIN' THE GIANT CHARLOTTE'S WEB KIND! SOMETIMES THE SPIDERS WERE PRESENT, OTHERS WERE NOT...Thankfully some had caught leaves that made them look like they were suspended in air, so that made them easier to spot. Other times I wasn't so lucky,,,,..... Although I was totally alone, I didn't really encounter any wildlife. Just a snake and some spiders, so if you're not into creepy crawlies or snakes then avoid this one! I hate spiders but love snakes so it evened out for me. I don't think I would do this trail again, it wasn't particularly scenic as most of it is in the tan oaks (but you do go through a lot of changes in scenery), not the redwoods and it doesn't really stay with the creek. Three stars because it was at least challenging (it took me about 4 hours), and had some pretty cool sections. I also really enjoyed being alone, especially in the days of COVID!

Bryan Spitzer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 12, 2020

This is a really great trail! Just gorgeous. But it's definitely on the hard side of moderate. There's a good bit of elevation gain on the first half. Not too extreme, just take your time, and bring your trek poles. As others have said, this definitely is NOT 3.8 miles. It's double that at least. Took us about 3-3.5 hours. The rock slide is still there but there have been enough feet over it to make a trail. Not treacherous at all. Make sure to bring plenty of water. AND bug spray! All that being said, this trail is definitely worth it! The trail is in good condition. The forest is gorgeous. Highly recommended!

Destiny Mariah
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 4, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

It was beautiful, but it was hard to enjoy the beauty when it’s over grown with spider webs/spiders EVERYWHERE. I don’t know about you, but I hate spiders. This trail was COVERED. It really made me not enjoy it as much as I’d like. Also it is 7 miles all together. It’s not 3.8 so don’t let that fool you. Another thing there’s a rock slide at one point but so easy to just climb over it, so don’t let that turn you around. I did the trail in about 2 hours. I did stop to get a stick so I can wack the webs out of the way. Overall I don’t regret it. But I don’t think I’ll be doing it again, because I really do hate spiders. Lol

Aimee Schmetzer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 26, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail but a hard trail. I don’t know why this say it’s 4 miles because it is actually 7! It took us about 3.5 hours. We tracked it with our phones. Be prepared to walk for miles up the mountain switchbacks and to the top then down a steady steep decline for a couple more. It’s gorgeous out there and it’s all under tree canopy so your not baking in the sun but prepare to sweat!. Bring plenty of water! This is a tough but great hike! There is a rock slide that goes through the trail but we were able to climb over it and keep going! Enjoy!

Tamara Harris
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 13, 2020
Hiking

Went on 05/11/2020. The trail was enjoyable, definitely some uphill switchbacks. Unfortunately, i did not get to experience the whole trail about maybe 3/4 mile into it, there was a fresh rock slide blocking the trail. Hopefully they get it cleared up soon. Cant predict nature! Would try it again next time.

Henok Lakew
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 2, 2020

My family and I camped for three days in the Park, it was unforgettable experience. I love the redwoods, the lake is nice and clear. we went last year, lots of people camping there.

Jessica Schieberl
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 28, 2020
Hiking

Great little trail off of the campground and a great workout. Definitely not for those with knee issues since it’s steep on several sections. The trail remains washed out in a few areas so make sure you have good hiking shoes on! That being said, it’s a beautiful journey through the trees. The entire trail was shaded when we went.

Christine Koth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 22, 2020
HikingOver grownRockyScramble

Fantastic trail but some treacherous spots along the way with fallen trees and landslides we had to scramble over. It’s for people with good conditioning to attempt.

View Christine's Recording
Cindy O.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 7, 2019
Hiking

This is NOT a moderate trail. If you have bad knees stay away.

Jessi Cook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 8, 2019
Hiking

Great hike. Most of it is up hill but once you hit the flat and head downward it’s pure bliss and peaceful. I would highly recommend for a work out. We saw no one on the trail. You have to pay a fee for entering the park of $8 cash only.

Ceci Coon-Asborno
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 15, 2019
Hiking

Be ready to climb!!!! First 2ish miles uphill in shaded forest. Great hike if you’re ready to sweat!

Dennis Brodsky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 29, 2019
Hiking

Trail was a complete surprise . We didn’t read the description and followed the trail up, up and further up to the ridge top. It was early morning and shaded. None the the less we worked up a sweat. It was great to hear the stream below us singing the the tune of solitude, relaxation and release.it was a nice way to say goodbye to our stay.

Wendy Floyd
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 20, 2019
Hiking

OK the trail is in a beautiful place, that said, be prepared to walk up hill for the first 2 miles. You literally will be climbing higher and higher the entire time and then basically down for 2 miles. I don't recommend if you have knee problems. On the positive, it's very shaded, had cute bridges, and not a lot of people.

View Wendy's Recording
Jorin Bukosky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 24, 2019
HikingOver grown

beautiful hike, but the trail is blocked in quite a few spots with tree falls and Rock slides that makes it a bit trickier.

View Jorin's Recording
Kathleen Ramos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 8, 2019
Hiking

I feel like I was on a a different trail than the others that reviewed it. I hiked in early May and it seemed as if this trail had not been hiked for a very long time. There were several trees down across the narrow trail that I had to climb over or under to continue on my way. At one point there had been a rock slide across the trail which I tippy toed across. The views are quite stunning throughout. The creek is almost secondary to the views but there are some wonderful tiny waterfalls that trickle down across the path on its way to the creek. The creek provided a good audio reference as the path wound through various switch backs up the mountain. The slope becomes quite steep 30 degrees at points. Not for casual hikers. It becomes strenuous closer to the top. Beautiful views and when you pause it is to utter silence. Be cautious on the return trail down. There are some spots where the trail becomes ambiguous. Around that area I did see something sitting peacefully on the forest floor in the leaves some 200 feet below that I can only describe as gorilla/ bear-like with long black hair/fur. I did not stick around to find out more. I started my gps from the welcome center where I’d parked my car. Good thing because the trail does not come out at exactly the place it began. Helped me find my car :)

christine malone
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 13, 2018

Got to the trail head w/ my pup and turned back. No dogs allowed ☹️

Daniel Norris
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 12, 2018

The entire tail was shaded. Not much of a view at the top, but still beautiful.

Bill Crain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 3, 2018
Hiking

Beautiful trail I forgot doing with my gf. Beautiful when we did it in the fall with only a few people around.

David Lawson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 29, 2017
First to Review

It's not recommended but my son and I did this hike at night while doing a little "Squatchin". Trail was very visible and we did get a little Bigfoot activity.

Adam Messer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2020
View Adam's Recording