Double Peak Trail from Discover Lake

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(816)
Lakeview Park

Double Peak Trail from Discover Lake is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near San Marcos, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,026 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

Difficulty: Moderate Mileage: ~4 Parking: Park Lot or plenty of street parking Cost: Free What to bring: Small bottle water Time: 1.5-2 hours This is the backside of Double Peak. The hike will take about 1.5 hours at a normal pace. It’s not the popular way up. About half way on popular trail you take a left (instead of right) after 3rd incline where all the bicycles go. It’s initially flat and wide then a right to a steep incline up on rocky trails. You come out to the right side of Double Peak Park at the amphitheater. This side is definitely harder than the popular way, it makes a full loop.

Great one! a good elevation, most of the trail is well paved, which is good because there won't be snakes. I'm so afraid of snakes but I like hiking a lot. Go earlier to avoid people and the hot.

If you’re looking to ride your mountain bikes up here. This is the spot !

It’s a great trail and if we weren’t in the midst of a pandemic, I would give this 4-5 stars. We went and hiked this early in the morning and it was already crowded. It wasn’t so much the crowds that bothered me but the complete disregard for CDC guidelines. The majority of people weren’t wearing masks or maintaining at least 6 feet of distance. The trail was still beautiful and a great workout. Just be aware of the above things!

Is there a place to park nearby and when r the trails open?... I tried calling the park but they wouldn’t answer :(

The majority of the trail is pretty residential and the path is mainly gravel, but I ventured out to the little trails around to get a bit more of a nature hike, you can explore for miles, those off the beaten path trials were pretty steep so a great workout. did not see many people.

Great trail - tons of people. It’s incredibly steep the whole way up so definitely come prepared.

Good view of most of north county plus easy trail

Amazing from the top with a total 360 degrees view.

I took a lot of side trails to check out the area 4/5 for hiking around because some parts of the trail were pretty rocky/washed out 3/5 for trail running for same reason. Very pretty and nice amount of parking since it starts in a neighborhood.

Mixed feelings about this trail, I don't like hiking in neighborhoods and the trail starts in a neighborhood; after climbing for a while, we meet the 10K San Elijo Hills loop; I loved this portion of the trail and later on, we go back into walking by the side of the road to top of double peak. Breathtaking views at double peak, I was lucky to go in a clear day and clearly see Batiquitos lagoon from the top and island to the northwest (not sure if Catalina or San Clemente) and southwest (I think Isla Coronado); the way down following the trail, was very steep and rocky. All in all, I will not do this hike again but I will try the non-neighborhood path of the 10K San Elijo Hills loop

Beautiful trail from bottom to top; great views along the way. Best view when you reach the top at Double Peak Park.

nice trail with grat views

I love hiking to Double Peak. I park at the soccer fields and go across to the base of the mountain with the communication tower then hike across to Double Peak. Good workout.

its a great and quick hike you have a beautiful veiw once u reach the top and u have a telescope at top i would go in the day time so you can see the beauty of this hike there are bathrroms and water at the top..

Right on trail! Great views and well marked trails.