Dorn Nature Trail

Dorn Nature Trail is a 1.6 mile loop trail located near Kelseyville, California that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and camping.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 413 feet Route Type: Loop

let me start by saying i never made it to the trail. in the parking lot i was swarmed by mosquitos so i sprayed off and walked up to the trailhead. by the time i reached the trailhead i was surrounded by the pesky bugs and they were relentless so i decided to jog back to my car to escape. i jumped in my car and several made it in with me which i swatted the rest tried to pick my lock. oh yea, bring $8 for this experience, you need to pay park fees.

Monday, May 16, 2016

The Dorn Trail is a 2.5 mile loop. It is pretty steep, especially at the beginning. The hike begins in a heavily wooded area, with the trail winding up and around the ridge, over big boulders. The trail eventually spits you out near the top of the ridge where the trees begin to thin before opening up on a big meadow. Towards the top of the ridge, the trail becomes wider. We saw beautiful wildflowers on our hike. Despite the campground being full, we only saw a few other people on our hike. The trail eventually spit us out in the campgrounds at the top of the ridge. A good, moderately difficult short hike. The views from the top of the ridge, along with the wildflowers, made this hike worth the effort.

Thursday, July 05, 2018