Don Edwards- Coyote Creek Lagoon Trail

Don Edwards- Coyote Creek Lagoon Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fremont, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Scenic tidal pools make this the perfect trail for a ride, run, hike, or birding outing. The flat dirt path winds south along the bay and connects with Fremont blvd to complete a loop, or you can turn around and take the trail back. Because of the abundant wildlife, pets are not allowed.

Not as nice as most of the other bay trails. There was a sulphur smell in the air from the surrounding marsh, which is to be expected. The main path follows the creek, with a business park on the other side of the creek and the bay on the other side of the path. So it's not terribly scenic. The path is a solid gravel/clay mix and raised up from the water.

If you want to add distance, you can head east on the southern end until the trail ends. You can also take the side trail on the north end that goes west and out into the bay. Total is 5.6 miles with these two additions (see my track).

The parking area was a little sketchy. There were some ppl just sitting in their cars. I didn't feel great about leaving my car there unattended.

I went on this trail because I was visiting a friend and the other trails that looked more enticing were too far to reach before sunset, this was going to have to do, and it surprised me. The entrance is easy to miss, it's on the right side of a business park, the parking lot and the initial path leading into the lagoon area has a not so flattering view of the backside of the business park buildings trash cans and stuff.

The path itself is mostly coarse gravel (I would think this would be pretty rough on paws for dogs) and duck poop, kinda gross. I pushed on to see what I could see. I decided to bear right towards the coast, and am glad I did. Once the gravel path gave way to a dirt path things improved a great deal. I was surrounded by wildflowers and could hear far more birds than I could see.

There was a narrow wooden boardwalk that I started to cross but midway there was a sign saying not to cross, protected area. Mixed feelings of selfish disappointment and unselfish happiness for the refuge that this place is providing for wildlife.

I kept walking, it seemed like the trail was turning into an animal corridor, but in less than a minute it was back to a comfortable width.

Came across a snail that had died, not sure what cause. Ants were butchering it. It was so close to making it to the other side of the trail, a mere 3 inches or so.

I also came across a dead Cricket, a hundred yards away. Again no obvious cause of death. The cricket was missing an segment of it's arm though.

I kept walking until I wound up at a sort of mound that would be perfect for birders with a tripod or a monopod mounted binocular. I looked around with my binoculars but didn't see much. I think I saw two herons or something, that was about it. Enjoyed the sunset as I walked back to the car.

Passed by some people on the way out, some couples, a few lone women.

There was a group of men drinking beer at the picnic table when I got back, they didn't feel dangerous but I think they were concerned about people calling the cops on them, they seemed a little wary as I walked by them and got into my car. I was figuring out where I was going to go next on my phone (I'm road tripping) and the men were all gone within 5 minutes.

I felt like the first third of the park on entry was an eyesore with business park, electrical towers, the other two thirds nearer the coast was ok. So in conclusion if you're looking for a sleepy eyed birding or sunset stroll this place will do, otherwise I think you can probably find more scenic places to go for a walk.