Dome Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Berry Creek, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This hike is deceptively challenging but more than worth the work. You will also need to drive down a dirt road for a while to get to the trailhead, but should not need 4WD. From the parking area, you begin hiking on a relatively flat section that winds through Ponderosa pine trees, manzanitas, and cedars. The trail then gets a bit steeper and rockier as it winds down the canyon. It is slightly overgrown in places which can mean that you need to go a bit slower, but it is by no means a bush wack or off trail hike. As you head down the canyon you have sweeping views of the river below and of Dome Rock. In Spring there tons of wildflowers to look at. The trail is somewhat steep and rocky the entire way as it switchbacks down to the water. Once you reach the bottom of the canyon, you may be able to swim although you should be careful because the current can be quite strong after the rains. This trail is ideal in May and September because the winter can be too rainy and mid summer can be very hot, however, it can be done anytime there hasn't been too much rain or snow.

I wasn't able to reach the trail. I drove halfway through the gravel/ dirt road and decided to turn around because of how much my little chevy was struggling. There was an immense amount of gravel and pot holes about 3 feet deep. The description says that 4wd isn't necessary but the road that leads to the trail definitely has not been up kept in a while.

Awesome hike! You gotta drive on a gravel road for awhile to get there. The begging of the hike had a lot of overgrown brush. There’s also a few fallen trees you gotta climb over or under. Saw two different types of snakes. There was absolutely nobody else on the trail the whole time we were there. Although it’s not a long hike it does take longer then usual to finish. I think it took more than 2 hours to get down. It’s quite a reward when you get down to the river. Spent a little bit of time down there jumping on rocks and going in the cold river. Took a water filter with us so we could just drink the river water. There’s nothing better than hiking something challenging with a nice reward.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Very exhausting, down hill all the way there and up hill all the way back. A good hike none the less. Pack bug spray and lots of water!!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Challenging hike but well worth it. We went on Labor Day and started around 1030am. It was nice and cool under the trees but once out in the open it was really hot so bring lots of water. A few downed trees we had to climb over and soft ground in some spots so be careful. There are railings in some places but it's all worn down and I wouldn't trust putting all your weight on them. My 10 year old daughter went and I was worried at some points where it was steep and no railings but she did just fine. Lots of poison oak and overgrowth in some areas. Reaching the canyon bottom was a nice reward. Ate lunch, dipped in the water, built cairns, spotted a garter snake, and enjoyed the breathtaking beauty of nature all around us. The hike up was a killer and I had to take a lot of breaks. The ascent was steep and treacherous and the sun was beating down on us. My son in law was leading and almost stepped on a huge rattler sunbathing on the trail ahead of a downed tree. The rattlesnake hissed and shook it's rattlers as it slithered off the trail and we moved on. Lots of gnats flying straight for your eyes and mosquitoes buzzing in your ear so bring bug spray or a net to cover your head. My app said the hike was a total of 6.06 miles and we took a total of 3:21:39 hours but it's sometimes not very accurate. It also said the elevation gain was 1,416.5.

Thursday, May 04, 2017