Dome Rock View via Forest Route 21S63

moderate 2 reviews

Dome Rock View via Forest Route 21S63 is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Springville, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and backpacking and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,482 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Users have reported that this trail is not maintained and overgrown.

7/6/19 Ok, so this is the most negative review I have ever given for a hike. We camped at Lower Peppermint Campground and decided to hike this trail, which starts only a few hundred yards south on the road from the campground. Unfortunately, the trail is in terrible shape. It is NOT maintained. There were many big downed trees blocking the trail which you will have to climb over, duck under, or go around. There is also tall grass that you'll walk through and possibly all sorts of spiky things that will stick to your socks, or biting insects on you. Speaking of bugs... we were CONSTANTLY harassed by flies. For whatever reason, they just love flying right in front of your eyeballs! I'm sure I inhaled a few of them too. While it was only about 83 degrees midday, the sun was brutal through the clear thin air. It felt like a 20 degree difference between the sun and the shaded parts. Speaking of which, you will be exposed to the sun 95% of the time. There is also no water source. My girlfriend and I went though 3 liters of water despite the hike being relatively short and easy. Lastly, the trail doesn't match the map. Typically, the black dotted lines on a map mean that the trail is a recognized route. I found that following the trail caused me to deviate significantly from the lines. There is also one part where there is a junction that is not marked on the map. See my recording. Finally, to add insult to injury, the view of Dome Rock wasn't even that great. It wasn't a clear view and was partially impeded by trees. See my pictures. To be fair, the blazing sun and bugs are a seasonal matter. But even without those issues, the trail was in rough shape, there was no water flowing through any of it, and to be frank, there just wasn't much to see. Well, at least I have some epic memories from it!