Dolason Prairie Trail

moderate 20 reviews

Dolason Prairie Trail is a 8.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Orick, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 8.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,253 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Orick: Follow Highway 101 northward to Bald Hills Road. Turn right and travel 11.5 miles to the Donalson Prairie Trailhead.

Beatiful Views. You can find Woods and praire on the same trail. We did it with rain and it was even more adventurous. I totally recomend it.

Pretty intense, but beautiful hike! We saw 3 adult tics by the barn, and LOTS of bees! I got stung twice inside one of the tree coverings in the prairie. We logged 10 miles out and back from the trail head to Emerald Creek. Would highly recommend this hike, we didn’t see any other people! We did see a giant gopher snake though. A little bit of everything!

Loved this varied scenery & challenging hike...Absolutely beautiful from start to finish.. Plan to spend time at the creek before the ascent back up 5.1 miles & 2400' elevation. Saw one other group, but pulled DOZENS of TICKS off myself! The grasses were my height through the prairies. An odd, aside... I saw someone off trail, heading up the hillside at the point where yo follow a dirt road for a little while. I was also noticing all the daisies appeared blue-ish, in a distance. Once i got to where the trail left the road, I saw someone had just sprayed the daisies with blue dye, there were still droplets.

Beautiful as mentioned. Many different settings and views. There are a dozen or so spots with trees and branches down but otherwise very clear. Many caterpillars out right now so watch your step. I would definitely do this trail again. :-)

Hit the trail head at 1pm today,Saturday April 6. The parking lot was full but we never saw another soul once we left the trailhead. Bathrooms at the trailhead. Tracked using Map My Ride on an iPhone XS and logged 11.9 miles from the trailhead on Bald Hills Rd down to Redwood Creek and back. The creek is a good place to have a snack and is about a half mile past the bridge. Be careful, the bridge is slippery when wet and a fall would be devastating if not fatal. Spring flowers were just starting to bloom, saw deer North of the barn on the way down and elk to the South of the barn on the way up. The hike out is rough guys! Almost 6 miles straight uphill. Not a beginners hike. Did not see any trash on the trail, thanks for packing it out!

Tue Sep 04 2018

Beautiful prairie!

Sat Jun 17 2017

This hike had a little of everything! Including ticks.... wear bug spray! And save lots of energy for climb out :)

Tue Apr 12 2016

My absolute favorite hike in Humboldt County. Little bit of everything. Prairies, Meadows, forest, old-growth, bridges & redwood creek. Long hike but def worth it. 11 miles or so round trip. I rarely see anyone on this trail either! Give it a go ;)

Sat Aug 01 2015

Very pretty trail. Accessed from either the top, or can start at bottom via Tall Trees grove. If done from top, you can do this trail as the listed short version which turns around at a creek, or go to the tall trees trailhead (12mi). From there you can extend your journey by doing the tall trees trail as well. Doing this will make the dolason prairie trail a total of 16-17mi! Cuts down through the balds with great views of the valley and ocean in the distance. Continues through varying forest types. Is rather steep especially considering the out/back nature of the trail!

Sat Jul 13 2013

This is a great trail if you are prepared for a 2200 foot elevation change from the top to the bottom. The hike back out is all uphill. We hiked the trail in June and the weather was perfect. There were lots of wildflowers and various fungi along the trail. There were also black bears in the area - we saw one as well as evidence that they had been eating blackberries. As far as other hikers, we met one couple pass us going up the trail and again back down as we were headed down. They were camping on a gravel bar in Redwood Creek. Another couple left the trail as we were getting started - they had seen two bears and promptly ended their hike. See the link for more details, photos and a video.

recorded Dolason Prairie Trail