Dog Valley OHV Road is a 7.7 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Floriston, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 7.7 km Elevation Gain: 321 m Route Type: Out & Back

scenic driving

ohv / off road driving

ohv/off road driving

it was full of cars and dust. definitely not my favorite hike, it was also very rocky and all up hill

Sat Apr 13 2019

I do not recommend walking or running on this trail, drive to the top and go from there, it's a vehicle access road.

Mon Jan 28 2019

We went 01/27/2019. Trail was super muddy and icy. There were quite a few cars driving pass us and none slowed down when passing us so we got sprayed with mud. It was a steady incline for most of the way and we still enjoyed the hike.

Sun May 13 2018

The road into Dog Valley really doesn't have the breath taking views. It does have a sign at the beginning that tells of the costs associated with one of the forest fires. It is somewhat interesting. I chose to make a loop out of this trail that did end up with a bunch of great views of Truckee and Reno. Had a great time until my GPS locked up. Even then really enjoyed the flowers. The trail at the bottom of the loop disappeared and I ended up heading off cross country for about 200 yards. Had a great time, despite the weather!

Sat Apr 14 2018

This is actually a dirt/gravel road open to vehicles, not a hiking trail. Still, Henness Pass (the turnaround spot) has some beautiful views over the valley below. There are also plenty of side roads (some open to vehicles, some not) if you want to do more exploration

Mon Jan 01 2018

(Verdi to Summit 1) is a great "I have to get out of here" drive to forest and mountains. Good mountain biking in Dog Valley. Once to Summit one its plenty to hike, ride and enjoy. Road can be treacherous and blow outs are common. Go prepared. The mud hole at the parking area had pallets burned over it so it has nails and staples in the mud.

Mon May 27 2019