Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Divide Peak is a 14.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ojai, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 14.8 miles Elevation Gain: 3,809 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Hiking from the Matilija trailheads to Divide Peak taking the creek trail on the way up and stopping by what is apparently a seldom visited site, "Kings Crest", on a whim.

Great wide fire trail for most of it with the views opening up more and more as you ascend. At first it’s gradual but then becomes more steep and even steeper with the turnoff for the peak. I didn’t ascend the final part because of time but loved how you first get to see a lake amidst all the rolling hills and then once you round the corner the ocean and the Channel Islands. Great hike/trail run!

Great trail, but would definitely recommend not starting from Murrieta. Instead, go just past it and start on the fire road. This takes you all the way to within about a mile and a half of the peak, then return the way you came. As for the actual last bit up to the peak, it’s very steep and at times not very well marked, but well worth the unique view of Ventura and Santa Barbara counties. Bring plenty of water and food!

A good long day hike. Took the road up to about the saddle then up the ridge. Was able to see Santa Cruz but there was a marine cloud layer.

DO NOT use the murietta trail. It only goes until the camp and then it’s just thorn bushes after that with no trail. Just use the Matilija divide trail. Climb up the Matilija divide trail and then the turn off for the divide trail will be in the left. It’s not very obvious so use the map but the Matilija trail starts going downhill after that, so if you start going downhill, you missed it. The divide trail is very steep. Some sections were just narrow gravel ground where I was following someone else’s footsteps. I was surprised how easily this section was to follow, there was actually a trail most of the time. Once you finally make it to the divide peak OHV trail, you hit a wide sandy trail. I heard dirt bikes somewhere in the distance. Go right from here for the divide peak or left for kings crest. I only made it to divide peak because I was running on fumes at this point. There’s just one last steep climb up to the top and then you made it. I didn’t get any views because it was foggy but I’m sure they are great. Be careful on the way back down to the Matilija trail because it’s slippery and then it’s smooth sailing all the way back. I started at 8 am, got to the top at 12 (including my useless detour down murietta), and made it back to my car at 3. Bring lots of water, I went through my 3L hydration reservoir and it was a cool cloudy day.

Tue Jan 15 2019