Learn more

San Vicente Mountain: Old Nike Missile Site Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(122)
San Vicente Mountain Park

San Vicente Mountain: Old Nike Missile Site Trail is a 10 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,414 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Effing flies! But nice views. The next vantage point kept me going. But I didn’t do the whole thing because I didn’t set out to do 10 miles today. Maybe next time.

A lot of the small mosquitos , they literally were everywhere

this hike is a lot of fun but I wouldn't want to do it again because all of the views are pretty much the same but if you've never been there the information on the Nike missile site is pretty impressive on top of that it's a fire Road the whole way I didn't see any single tracks and there's a lot of bugs so be sure to bring bug spray

No one on the trails on weekdays! Great gradual slope with clear views of Santa Monica bay and San Fernando Valley.

Good trail, a little bit boring with the same sights over and over, but it’s a great wide fire road perfect for a long walk that’s nearby

Fun easy fire road trail

Great trails and views.

This is more of a biking trail than a hiking trail. The whole hike is on wide fire roads. About half way through you get a decent view of Santa Monica and the ocean, but it's only visible for a bit.

You can take the fire road up which is a nice walk up with a moderate slope or you can take the upper trail which is much more extream consisting of several steep hills to navigate. The upper trail is popular with mountain bikers but also offers trail runners a solid workout. I recommend wearing a hydration pack either way.

Wed Jun 05 2019

Beautiful sunset ride in familiar terrain. I did all of the single track this time and it was amazing.

Mon May 06 2019

Beautiful views and wide trail

Sun Mar 17 2019

I very much enjoyed this trail. My dog and I stuck to the fire road for most of the way. In retrospect, I probably would've enjoyed it more had we taken the trail. The first view of the ocean is breathtaking, and it only gets better as you go. Heavily trafficked, which is to be expected on a Saturday. I imagine this trail would provide more of a sense of solitude on a weekday. My little guy got tired towards the end, so I had to carry him uphill a bit, but he enjoyed our time in the hills!

Sat Jan 12 2019

One of my favorite local hikes. Doing it again this weekend. Will probably go further this time as I saw there were other trails there leading toward the ocean

Fri Jul 06 2018

Yassss

Sun Jun 03 2018

Fun fire roads for easy mountain biking.

Tue May 29 2018

Fun, easy hike. Great views and feels like you are out of the city for most of it.

Sun Jan 14 2018

Kinda boring, but decent. It would be better for Mountain Biking than it was for a hike.

Sun May 21 2017

I was trying to figure out how come this version of the trail says 10 miles, when the Westridge to San Vicente Mountain trail I take is clearly marked 7.4 miles. If you want the Nike Missile Station to be your destination and turn around point, part at the Westridge Rd parking area, hike in/up to San Vicente Mountain and come back down. If you do the ridge trail vs the fire road, it's a bit more exercise. I find the ridge trail steeper going up and then going down.

Thu Apr 27 2017

Awesome views and a nice little chunk of Cold War history. Trails are not to hard but still challenging to the beginner. Make sure to pack sunscreen and water.

Tue Mar 14 2017

I really liked this hike! Bit of forest, mountains, and even some water holes. Very busy or would have given 5 stars.

Mon Mar 13 2017

Nice views, Moderate hike, some Valley history.

Sun Aug 14 2016

I'd say this is an easy hike. Elevation gain is only 500. Totally uncovered and I did 10.5 mi on a 100+ degree day so it had its challenges and of course was lovely. Lots of mountain bikers too but lightly trafficked with cool people.

Sun Jul 10 2016

Can be done in 2 directions with different difficulties

Mon Jun 13 2016

Nice place. Many paths to take.

Mon May 09 2016

Love this trail! Beautiful views on both sides. You see the valley and all the way to the ocean! Gorgeous all around!

Sun May 08 2016