Dipsea, Steep Ravine, and Matt Davis Loop

Dipsea, Steep Ravine, and Matt Davis Loop is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stinson Beach, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

beach

Hike from the Pacific Ocean all the way up to The Muir Woods Visitor Center. There area spectacular ocean views, rushing creeks, and pretty waterfalls. Steep Ravine is a real jewel in Marin County's crown. Cutting deep into the landscape over millennia the water rushing through Webb Creek has created a spectacularly steep sided and lush canyon shaded by towering redwood trees and populated with a wide variety of local flora and fauna. The hike begins along the Dipsea Trail at Stinson Beach. It climbs gradually with many ocean views until you reach its' junction with the Steep Ravine Trail. From here it climbs 1000 ft. to Pantoll ranger station in 1.5 miles. There are two significant waterfalls along Webb Creek in Steep Ravine. The upper one is interesting because you have to climb up the waterfall via a 10 ft. high ladder. These waterfalls are best seen in the winter or early spring months, after there has been a lot of rain. Once at Pantoll, cross the highway and head back down to Stinson Beach via the Matt Davis trail. You will find more great ocean views on this trail. Many people like to do this hike in the reverse direction, going up Matt Davis trail and down Steep Ravine. But the Matt Davis trail is longer (4 miles) and it is all up hill if you go this way.

Amazing hike. Went the wrong direction bc we follow the dipsea trail which took us to a lot more stairs. so we took a longer route but we had lots of fun. We hike earlier in the day so by the time we finish, we got to watched the sunset and picnic at the beach. Beautiful day too.

Start the trail to at the Community Center. Steep climb for about 2 miles but it’s worth it to start here. That way you can enjoy an easy breezy past price at the other side at about 5.5 miles in. Very divers trail.

Great trail, although the mud made it a bit challenging (my own fault for going the day after a big storm). Waterfalls were gorgeous as were the views. I went up on Davis and down on Dipsea - when I come back to do it again I’ll go in the opposite direction.

Conditions were great on the trail despite all the rain in the past few days.. just a little muddy at parts. On the way there was a part of the road that was flooded but it wasn't so high. The rain made the Steep Ravine part amazing, because it was gushing with water. My favorite part was the open view of the ocean and San Francisco city, as soon as you get out of the red woods on the Matt Davis trail going down. We took our time, made a few stops and were walking at an easy pace and it took us 3.5 hrs.

This is so awesome. Creeks, water falls, ferns hillside pastures, views. Just awesome

Really enjoyed hiking up the stairs under these huge trees and around the streams. Quite scenic. Was a great day!

Very popular area so parking lots all full on the weekends but can park along the road and walk to the trail head with ease. Bring supplies for a picnic on the beach midway through, or grab them at the town market in Stinson. Definitely recommend this hike.

One of my favorite trail at Mt Tamalpais State Park.

This remains one of my favorite hikes in the Bay Area. I usually start at Pantoll Ranger Station, but on my most recent trip, I started at Stinson Beach and completed this in the opposite direction suggested: up Matt Davis and down Steep Ravine and Dipsea. The trail is a "best of" of hikes in the Bay Area in that you get a bit of everything: grassy fields with expansive views; redwoods; small streams amid forests of canyon oaks and eucalyptus; and, of course, Stinson Beach itself.

Great hike to complete in the morning! I imagine foot traffic picks up after 10-11am, as I noticed larger groups and families starting their hike while I was ending mine. I started at the Dipsea Trailhead, continued onto Steep Ravine and climbed down via Matt Davis. Good mix of shaded/open areas. I especially enjoyed the ocean and city views on the Matt Davis Trail. You could complete this trail multiple ways depending on where you park. I originally wanted to park at Stinson Beach, but the parking lot was closed, I'm assuming due to the government shut down. Instead, I took the risk and parked in a drop off zone next to the trailhead. I learned there is another parking lot at Pantoll Road, at the campground, so that's another option if Stinson's lot is closed. If you park at Pantoll, you could climb down via Matt Davis and hike back up via Dipsea & Ravine. Alternatively, you could hike down via Ravine/Dipsea and hike back up on Matt Davis. Overall, it's a nice Marin hike.

Great way to start the year!

Great way to start the year!!!

This was one of the best hikes I’ve been on.

amazing

Beautiful December day. Went with daughter around noon. Did it counterclockwise. It’s actually about 7.4 miles long. First half moderately strenuous and uphill. Second half easy but downhill and lots of rocks so wear good shoes. Beautiful all the way - redwoods, streams, ocean view, shade and sun. Moderate foot traffic but generally mellow folks around. Classic NorCal hike. We even spotted a big coyote - it crossed the trail, then climbed a hill and stared at us.

This trail is amazing! I think I logged almost 10 Miles. The scenery in the mountain on the trail was so beautiful. I had some hot tea on the beach and watched the dolphins. Then at 730am I hit the trail. Finished up with lunch and a beer at the Siren Canteen on the beach. Amazing time!!!

Best hike in the Bay Area. Good mix of ecosystems and wildlife, while providing a good workout through length and climb.

Very steep, and slippery when muddy! But very pretty trail, and saw several deer.

ocean, trees, & fresh air, does it get better?

We started by the fire station trailhead- that way gives you a steep climb to start the trail. Going the other direction is a longer, steady climb.

Phone gps trackers put the total hike at about 7.2 miles.

Trail pretty well maintained and easy to follow- we never found ourselves wondering which trail to follow.

There is a nice outcrop with a good view of Stinson beach- maybe around 1.5 miles in.

Nice changes between forests, grass hills, and then along a creek on the Dipsea trail portion.

All in all, a good hike.

Remember to dress in layers..

My dad and I hiked this on a Tuesday felt like it was just us I suggest parking at Stinson beach beautiful views saw a coyote deer squirrel birds finished in three hours amazing time bring a friend or family member and do it!!!

Awesome- just go!

Wow! I’m not sure it gets better than this hike! Ocean, Redwoods, steep climbs, well maintained trails with built in terraced stairs throughout the trails, views for days that covered all the way out to east bay and SF. Absolutely stunning day to hike, we lucked out. Apparently in winter there are waterfalls, today we had trickles but it was lovely to hike alongside the sounds of water in the trees.

We took a wrong turn at pantoll and went up the wrong Matt Davies trailhead which took us up to the mountain theater by accident. However that little detour gave us the most amazing views!! Totally worth the 3 mile mistake to get back via old mine trail to get back on the right Matt Davies trail. Such an incredible and challenging hike! Wowza

I love the Dipsea portion of this trail. I would suggest going the Matt Davis portion to the where the vista of the ocean is and then going back down Dipsea. My reason for this suggestion is that Matt Davis has lots of poison oak and seemed to be more crowded.

Amazing trail! Took me around 3 hours. I did it counter clockwise this time (starting on Dipsea, then Steep Ravine and lastly Matt Davis) and is much more enjoyable, as the uphill part is not only shorter but also nicer, with water running and beautiful trees. After 1.5 hours you will arrive to Pantoll Campground, where you can refill your water bottle. From there, is all downhill vía Matt Davis trail.

Amazing hike, took us 4 hours with lots of stops

This was a gorgeous and moderately challenging hike with a decent amount of elevation change. Can’t wait to go back. Only reason I didn’t give five stars was the lack of maintenance. Exposed rebar on some Dipsea steps. Fencing down in many places along the route.

This was a lovely trail and a beaufiful day. The trail justified the ratings received on alltrails.com. We went up the Steep Ravine and came down on Matt David trail.

We are a new pro user of alltrails app, and the detailed offline maps and tracking were really worth it. Looking forward to many more.

One of my fav hikes I’ve done so far. Really beautiful, took Steep Ravine trail and went all the way down to Stinson Beach. Beautiful views.

Beautiful scenic views, family friendly.