Dipsea Trail to Steep Ravine Trail Loop from Stinson

moderate 299 reviews

Dipsea Trail to Steep Ravine Trail Loop from Stinson is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stinson Beach, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is best used from July until September.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,656 feet Route Type: Loop

Hike overlooking the Pacific Ocean. This trail offers stunning views and chaparral and redwood habitats.

Absolutely beautiful views

Gorgeous hike. Steep! Close to 7 miles round trip if you start in Stinson Beach, 3.5 each way. First time we hiked it back in Feb 2019 we parked at the top of Steep Ravine, went down to Stinson Beach, then back up. Second time in Nov 2019 we parked at Stinson Beach and went up and back. I preferred the up and back to Stinson Beach, that way you can hang out at the beach and rest at the end, or get some food in town. It's a steep hike with stair climbs and switchbacks but absolutely beautiful. Ferns, moss, redwoods, and creeks are everywhere, not to mention the amazing views of Stinson Beach after you hit the Dipsea Trail. I tend to spend the entire hike staring at the amazing views in every direction. There is one section that requires climbing a wooden ladder next to a small waterfall, it's about 10-15 feet high and it's at an angle, not straight up. It can be a bit slippery when the waterfall is really flowing.

This was an absolutely beautiful hike. Definitely a lot of incline and pretty rocky but well worth it. There is tons of little waterfalls and nice greenery. We started at Stinson Beach and walked the loop.... ended up being about 6.8 miles

I didn’t tired enough

I would also suggest starting at whitegate trailhead. I would also suggest going up dipsea trail and down steep ravine as there are more stairs on dipsea to aid your climb.

The trial head is a 1 min walk from the Fire House. The hike is marvelous. Like others have said, when you meet the fork in the road about 20-30 mins up, hang left and go up the Ravine trial to take advantage of the sweeping views when you go down. Once you hike up some rolling hills with views of the water, the trial hugs the creek under the lush dense forrest. The stairs like another reviewer mentioned is no joke! At one point, you actually have to climb a ladder— it’s somewhat short and sturdy but still surprising. In short, you’ll definitely be huffing and puffing in certain spots. The half way point is up at the Panholl Campground parking lot, where you can use the bathroom and fill up your water. To start your decent, follow the road to views of rolling hills and sweeping ocean views. Love how varied the hike’s landscape is. One you’re done, definitely elongate you’re hike by walking an extra min for lunch, coffee, or a beach picnic in the quaint Stinson Beach. Not busy. Lots of shade.

Outstanding trail as directed. Going up via the ravine will afford you better ocean views going down via Dipsea. Pls note that there is a sign at the bottom of the loop saying “AREA CLOSED EXTREME FIRE DANGER,” but there is no such sign at the top of the deep ravine trail, so you’re free to enjoy your day as if you were someone who started at the top. :)

Great hike w a lot of shades!

Beautiful single track with great views and elevation. Beware of the rockadiles

This was not a hike. It was a StairMaster exercise. This makes it a much harder workout on the legs. I could see that I wasn’t the only one who didn’t like all the stairs. Some areas have paths worn on the sides of the staircases. Try walking there so you don’t get worn out too soon. Other than that, the views were nice. I especially liked walking along the creek in the trees. The beginning of the trail was littered with dog poop. Please at least flip your dog’s poop off to the side if you don’t have a bag.

We parked at Stinson Beach near a cafe from where the trail head was very close. We hit the trail at 8.20am and took the clockwise route as suggested by others in reviews. The first half the trai (via Steep Ravine) has a gradual accent with very serene and calming views. We were a bit disappointed as we couldn't see much but clouds on reaching the summit. However, the cloud and fog helped us keep cool throughout. Will go again to see the spectacular views on a sunny clear day.

Starting uber early at 6a helped w/ a few things. 1. Didn’t see any other hikers till we were at the end of the trail (2.5 hrs later) 2. Hiked in mostly mist, helping to keep cool 3. Even when the sun was out, it was still quite pleasant to hike in direct light. 4. We had the rest of the day to eat, shop & explore SF afterwards I suggest going early as well to guarantee parking. I’ve always parked behind the fire station as it is just at the start of the hike, but quickly can be taken up. You can refill on water, & use the restroom, at the ranger station about halfway through. Trails are marked pretty well, so you shouldn’t get lost.

Did Steep Ravine trail up to parking area, then took Dipsea down -- beautiful trail! the views of the ocean were spectacular. Hiking through the redwoods was gorgeous too, and appreciated the shade!

Good tree coverage, misty and cool as you reach the parking lot at the top. Lots of waterfalls and bridges.

Great! 6.9 miles not 6.1. going counter clockwise got like a 750 foot climb on steps. Descent much easier

I did this trail counter-clockwise and based on the reviews I expected it to be fairly doable. I’m an experience hiker and I found this trail harder than expected! At least in counter-clockwise direction, the first half is entirely uphill, mostly on stairs. The second half is much more manageable and it is a beautiful trail. I would definitely recommend it, just know that the first 3 miles or so are not easy!!

Fun trail. About half in the shade and half in the open. There was still some water running with little waterfalls.

Beautiful trail.

Had a great hike, it was extremely foggy but perfect weather for running.

I started at the campground at the top, went down Dipsea, then up steep ravine. They don’t really police the “no dogs allowed” rule. Keeping in mind that there are some narrow areas that can make passing difficult & on Steep Ravine there’s a short ladder that you’ll need to boot scoot up with your dog in your lap. If I had brought my kid or parents, I think I would have parked a second car at Stenson beach, started from the camp ground, and just did steep ravine down. Dipsea has a lot of tough stairs. The very start of Dipsea before the stairs has nice views of the coast & an easy fire road from the campground to access it. That’s worth it.

Amazing scenery, there is a swing looking out over the ocean over to the right during the first stretch. Trail was fairly easy, but a few in the group found it challenging, so may be considered moderate for beginners.

Mix of things to see and feel! Super nice first time experience on mount Tam. Saw the ocean, the land, river, bridges, stairs, wet trees, dry trees, birds, animals (deers). Baked in the sun, cool in the mists. Super well rounded trip

Wed Jan 09 2019

I love this trail. It has many interesting features. If you go while it’s misty it adds even another element of beauty. One of my local favorites for sure.

Tue Jan 08 2019

Definitely one of my favorite trails!

Sat Oct 27 2018

Amazing for a first hike on Mt.Tam! Loved the varied terrain from forest to ocean view. A treat for the kid in you to hike down stairs, to the creek, over bridges and then to climb a 10 rung sturdy ladder. Take your time and enjoy!