Dipsea Trail to Steep Ravine Trail Loop from Stinson

Dipsea Trail to Steep Ravine Trail Loop from Stinson is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stinson Beach, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from July until September.

Hike overlooking the Pacific Ocean. This trail offers stunning views and chaparral and redwood habitats.

Fun trail. The stairs were fine (novice-moderate hiker, here). Great views of the Bay.

Incredibly fun hike!

You can also park at the Pantoll Station and hike down to Stinson Beach either from Dipsea or Steep Ravine, and hike back up either way.

This was mine and my boyfriends first time at Mt. Tam and it was absolutely breathtaking. I would highly recommend this hiking trail to anyone! I'm not an avid hiker and I'm considered a beginner and this hike was completely feasible for me. I would highly recommend you do the hike "clockwise" because if you go "counter clockwise" you will hit a bunch of steep steps that runs about a mile long and that's not a great way to start the hike. You will see beautiful views of the coast and Stinson beach. We'll definitely be back again soon :)

Hike was great. Very scenic. There wasn't too much water flow, so I'll definitely be going back in the spring time to see those waterfalls. Also make sure to do the hike clockwise. I did it counter clockwise and it was a challenge going up those steep stairs.

Being 26+ weeks pregnant, it's very hard to find hikes that were both interesting and technically feasible for a pregnant woman. Thank goodness I found this hike. The trail is well marked and the inclines and declines were very mild, and where its steep, the trail turns into steps.

Gorgeous trail, just wish I brought hiking poles for extra stability when descending those steps. Also, watch out for the poison oak.

Took one long stop for lunch break and in total about 4 hours to finish at my snails pace.

Absolutely beautiful. It has a confusing turnoff point before the stream, but it is worth hiking a bit extra towards that stream. The colors are mind-blowing

This trail was a great mixture of what makes theSan Francisco area amazing! Big trees, coastal chaparral, cool weather, warm weather and a great lunch break at Stinson beach!! A perfect 14 miles!!!!

Monday, May 01, 2017

Did this trail a few weeks back. The start was a little tough for a hike newbie like myself but totally worth it. The steep ravine portion was amazing with the rushing water a lush greenery.

Monday, March 27, 2017

Great loop, I've done it many times on sunny days, recently did it in the rain which was an amazing and new experience as well. We had the usually crowed trail all to ourselves and the rain and mist made everything look quite magical.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Beautiful!

Saturday, March 18, 2017

It's the never ending steps lol very beautiful must see

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Spectacular, after the big rain waterfalls were rockin. In the canopy of the big trees then pop out into one of the most spectacular views around. Great time.

Monday, October 10, 2016

This trail feels like such an adventure. The flowing creek is ice cold and feels so nice to splash around in a bit. It's definitely a bit of a work out, but the beauty of the trees and the ocean makes it so worth it. Would definitely recommend this :)

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Nice cardio. If you want to save your knee, go up from the steep ravine trail. Water level is super low but it is a good hike. The signs are very confusing to get to that trail. I will go back there again.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

lots of stairs but such a beautiful hike!

Friday, August 05, 2016

This is one of the best hikes we've ever done. It rivaled our favorite hike of Killarney in Ireland. This trail has ever-changing landscapes, and while we had a cloudy day that masked some of our views, the fog added to the mystique and beauty of the woods.

At the loop, we decided to go up the Steep Ravine trail and down the Dipsea trail. I recommend this route because the Steep Ravine trail is steeper and therefore more difficult for descent.

We started around 9:15am and finished at 12:15pm. We probably passed a total of 15-20 people on the trail.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Love!! A very beautiful hike!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Amazing

Thursday, April 21, 2016

awesome hike

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Great hike, have done it many times, good leg workout, bring water, I drive from Sacramento to do this hike, solid spot! I have seen deer and coyotes on the train ✌

Monday, July 20, 2015

Great stuff, we parked up at Stinson Beach (for free). Got there at 1030am on a Sunday, plenty of space.

We headed out initially on the Dipsea Trail, then followed Steep Creek Ravine up to the top. There's a car park and restrooms up there for a quick break.

The way out is great, following the water it isn't too steep at all, pretty tame. Completely shaded.

Took the Old Mine Trail from there back, which is out in the sun with some fantastic views. Visibility was great we could see everything from Mt Diablo, Berkeley and SF to the Farallon Islands. All from the same spot!

Connected back to Dipsea Trail to loop back to the start. Total recorded length was 8.7 miles, in 3 hours.

Generally quite tame, it's all up on the way out, all down on the way back. Elevation of about 1500ft, but never too much gradient. We passed kids and grandma's. With the exception of a wooden ladder you need to climb, it's reasonably accessible

We've driven through Stinson Beach before plenty of times on the way north, but it always looked too busy to stop. It's worth getting there a little earlier and being back in town for lunch. By the time we were leaving (3pm) it was getting VERY busy, on the trails and the parking lot

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Hard to spot the trail, well worth it though.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

I love this trail! It is other-worldly especially when taken in combination of the ridge trail. Two different dimensions.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Too good to be true.

Sunday, December 22, 2013

The worst.

Monday, September 09, 2013

The Muir woods area is beautifuland the hike was great.There were way to many people for a high rating.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

If used in conjunction with the ascending

Matt Davis trail, this is one of the best loops in the entire Bay Area.

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Great trail, with great changes in scenery. I actually think that this trail is almost better in bad weather, just for the feel of it.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

One of my favorite Muir/Tam hikes. Great changes in terrain, beautiful sites, several small waterfalls.