Dipsea Trail from Muir Woods to Stinson Beach

Dipsea Trail from Muir Woods to Stinson Beach is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mill Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

The Dipsea Trail (or the Ben Johnson Trail) through Muir Woods National Monument to Stinson Beach is an amazing trail through the famous California redwoods.

The beginning of the trail was a little hard to find since the entrance at the parking lot is shut down due to the rain storms. This trail has everything you would look for, beautiful redwoods, waterfalls, open valley, and ending at Stinson beach is a nice reward. Overall it was about 10 miles because of the slight detour. Be prepared for mud (at the moment)! Well worth the run.

Love this trail! Breathtaking in its views and difficulty!

Amazing trail! My first solo hike, I did 12.8 miles. The trails were easy to follow at most points and beautiful views that range from forestry to meadow views to costal and in between. I will definitely be back to explore this area more.

One of my favorite trails. Some fallen trees from the recent storm made it extra adventurous this past weekend (12/18/16). Beautiful as always, with frost everywhere and icy muddy puddles.

Fabulous hike. Start from the auxiliary Muir Woods parking lot and you will see signs for Dipsea Trail. Once on it you will wind through the highlands cross crossing the fire road until you hit the woods. This is where it gets a little steep but the trail is well groomed and easy to navigate. I went on a weekday so the traffic was non existent. Took about 5 hours of consistent walking to cover the 10ish miles all the way down to Stetson Beach which is a sleepy town w cafes, etc. my tracker said I climbed 199 stories of stairs and took about 22K steps. Enjoy!!

Love love love this trail. It is intense.

I guess we did the "Double Dipsea" though it was unclear where the true trailhead was so we started from the Muir Woods Visitor Center extended parking lot (free for hikers). We hiked down to Stinson beach and back. Took lots of photos along the trail and even enjoyed our packed lunches at the park. Overall time about 6:30hrs, and AllTrails clocked us with just under 12 miles. The first 3hrs of the trail was a bit muddy and rainy, we were both soaked! Come prepared. It was so beautiful though, especially with the mist! Can't wait to do it again. Tip: Pay attention to the trail markers! The Dipsea crossed with several other trails along the way.