Dipsea Steep Ravine Matt Davis Loop Trail from Pantoll

Dipsea Steep Ravine Matt Davis Loop Trail from Pantoll is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stinson Beach, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

We hiked this trail on Sunday, 8/27/17. We started the trail near the ranger station around 7:30 am - the temp was a warm 74 degrees (there had been unusually high temps/heat wave in the Bay Area) and enjoyed the wonderful foliage and peacefulness of the trail. I loved the ladder (fun and easy to get down). We stopped for breakfast in Stinson Beach and finished the hike around noon. Had I known how hot it was going to be, I would have done this hike in reverse: crossing over Panarama and starting at the end of the Matt Davis trail (as there's far more sun exposure on that side) and saving the coolness of the woods for the last leg of the hike.

I wouldn't rate this trails difficult. Maybe moderate. It had gorgeous views, and was nice to have lunch at the beach. We did have trouble finding the Matt Davis trailhead on the way back up. Turn right at the fire station.

difficult trail with little recourse if something goes wrong, but beautiful and variable with great views. Bring some snacks though, because there are no food vending machines at the peak where steep ravine and Matt Davis meet.

More of a moderate than hard. Love that you can drop into Stinson for a beer and then head back up. Amazing views.

Great hike! I'd rate it moderate rather than difficult, and it's more like 7.5 miles with the walk to Stinson Beach. The Matt Davis trail is behind the Fire Station, and we passed by it at first. Steep Ravine was much prettier, but Matt Davis still had a great view of the ocean.