Dipsea Steep Ravine Matt Davis Loop Trail from Pantoll

Dipsea Steep Ravine Matt Davis Loop Trail from Pantoll is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stinson Beach, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

Awesome Trail

Awsome trail

There is a lot of things to see right here. We enjoyed hiking and we're gonna go back here sometime. The trail has a lot of things to enjoy. The vegetation changes as you go further.

Such an amazing trail. I am very picky with trails and usually get bored quite easily, but I definitely recommend this one. Every mile is unique and beautiful.

I really enjoy this hike and have done it twice, once starting going up Steep Ravine and today starting with going up Matt Davis Trail. I prefer going up Steep Ravine first for two reasons- that part of the trail has a wood ladder, and going up a ladder is vastly preferable. Matt Davis has more stairs, and I’d rather go down stairs than up :)

There aren’t a ton of signs but there are very few forks. The hike is well shaded except for one exposed section in the middle with gorgeous sea views and one at the beginning of Steep Ravine.

A moderately challenging hike with a few nice views and some good spots to sit and relax. There is quite a lot of poison oak, so something to be aware of!

Began at Pantoll Station and descended through the redwoods and ferns following the stream until the scenery opened up to coastal brush before arriving in town. From the fire station headed up the Matt Davis trail which was steep and consisted of well maintained switchbacks. The trail levels out at the top and opened up to rolling hills with no coverage and completed the loop back to Pantoll Station. This is the harder option, as the uphill on Matt Davis trail is greater over a shorter distance than ascending up Dipsea trail. Moderate through most of the hike. Get their early to avoid the crowds. Parking at Pantoll is limited and cost $8. Pay to support the trails and people who keep it going. Don't be cheap and park on the road.

This hike is perfect. We started at pantoll campground. And took matt Davis down to Stinson. Had lunch at siren canteen. And hiked up through steep ravine. Steep ravine had some nices to sit. And take in the nature. And the following water.

Nice trail with pretty views of the ocean, forest, and rolling hills all in one. I started at Mountain Home TH and hiked to Stinson Beach and back. There’s quite a bit of stairs built into the trail. About 3,000 feet of elevation gain over 15 miles.

Pretty amazing, though I went the hard route! Saved the uphill for the end!!

Beautiful views! Not too hard on the knees if you start from Pantoll and go down Matt Davis Trail. Have lunch at Siren Cafe on Stinson Beach

One of my favorite hikes ever!

Start from the fire station in Stinson Beach, hike up Matt Davis and then down Steep Ravine. Total loop: 6.5 miles, 1696 ft elevation, 2 hr 53 minutes.

Beautiful hiking!
Be on the look out for a hidden swing!
We Spent about a hour, swinging out over the trails and trees!
Gorgeous views, and when done hiking, the beach isn’t a far drive away!

Beautiful vistas. Hills are green during spring and gorgeous to see

The best strenuous hike in Marin less than 30 minutes from the GG bridge. Always start low in Stinson Beach for a downhill finish.

We start going up Matt Davis, his Steep Ravine then the Dipsea back down to the beach, where we usually go picnic afterward. Awesome!

One of my all time fave hikes!

It has got mix of shade and open trail. Open trail had great refreshing views. Closed trail had few Creeks going along the way. Its great weekend getaway from bay area. It should be medium hike.

It was a beautiful trail. Mostly uphill... then downhill. Loved it!

Truly one of the best hikes I’ve done. Went down Matt Davis to get the views of the pacific, had a lunch break at Stinson Beach, and then up Dipsea to Steep Ravine and back to the Pan Toll ranger station. The changes in scenery were perfect and the hike was the perfect amount of challenging. I’d rate it as Medium rather than Hard.

Amazing views

We hiked this trail on Sunday, 8/27/17. We started the trail near the ranger station around 7:30 am - the temp was a warm 74 degrees (there had been unusually high temps/heat wave in the Bay Area) and enjoyed the wonderful foliage and peacefulness of the trail. I loved the ladder (fun and easy to get down). We stopped for breakfast in Stinson Beach and finished the hike around noon. Had I known how hot it was going to be, I would have done this hike in reverse: crossing over Panarama and starting at the end of the Matt Davis trail (as there's far more sun exposure on that side) and saving the coolness of the woods for the last leg of the hike.

I wouldn't rate this trails difficult. Maybe moderate. It had gorgeous views, and was nice to have lunch at the beach. We did have trouble finding the Matt Davis trailhead on the way back up. Turn right at the fire station.

difficult trail with little recourse if something goes wrong, but beautiful and variable with great views. Bring some snacks though, because there are no food vending machines at the peak where steep ravine and Matt Davis meet.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

More of a moderate than hard. Love that you can drop into Stinson for a beer and then head back up. Amazing views.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Great hike! I'd rate it moderate rather than difficult, and it's more like 7.5 miles with the walk to Stinson Beach. The Matt Davis trail is behind the Fire Station, and we passed by it at first. Steep Ravine was much prettier, but Matt Davis still had a great view of the ocean.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

AMAZING. One of my most favorite hikes I've ever done. Epic views, challenging but not too-tough terrain, Stinson Beach stop halfway, interesting and carrying flora and climates. Get a map at Pantoll and fill up with LOTS of water for exposed parts (which are many)! It gets hot. Plan to have at least your last half after the fog burns off (after 1pm) because you don't want to miss the amazing vistas, available on both trials. I went down Matt Davis and up Dipsea. Don't bother trying to park in the Pantoll lot; plenty of pullouts along Panoramic Hwy into Pantoll. But DO start at Pantoll station for a map and water. Be aware that hella tourists, SF-ites, and college students swarm this spot on weekends. Try a weekday :) if you're heading up from the South, grab a latte at Coyote Coffee in Mill Valley and use the restroom in the Walgreens across the street--and pick up sunscreen if you forgot it!! You'll need it. Best. Daytrip. Ever.

Thursday, June 08, 2017

Great Hike, beautiful views when you get to peak through the trees to the ocean. We went down Matt Davis and up Steep Ravine which is the direction I'd recommend. Stopping for lunch on Stinson Beach was a good way to go as well. You can also park at nearby Bootjack.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Such a beautiful hike, this place is like a rainforest! It's so nice to see so much water flowing. I started at Pantoll and took the Matt Davis trail down. Great views of Stinson, LOVE!

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

I prefer to start at Stinson Beach because it's a very good place to finish and then have lunch or just relax in a great atmosphere. I've hiked this loop both clockwise and counterclockwise. Steep Ravine lives up to it's name and will provide a workout. The open vistas on Matt Davis are fantastic. About 3.5 hrs to hike the loop including a short break at Pantol. Personal favorite.