Dipsea Steep Ravine Matt Davis Loop Trail from Pantoll

Dipsea Steep Ravine Matt Davis Loop Trail from Pantoll is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stinson Beach, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

The best strenuous hike in Marin less than 30 minutes from the GG bridge. Always start low in Stinson Beach for a downhill finish.

We start going up Matt Davis, his Steep Ravine then the Dipsea back down to the beach, where we usually go picnic afterward. Awesome!

One of my all time fave hikes!

It has got mix of shade and open trail. Open trail had great refreshing views. Closed trail had few Creeks going along the way. Its great weekend getaway from bay area. It should be medium hike.

It was a beautiful trail. Mostly uphill... then downhill. Loved it!

Truly one of the best hikes I’ve done. Went down Matt Davis to get the views of the pacific, had a lunch break at Stinson Beach, and then up Dipsea to Steep Ravine and back to the Pan Toll ranger station. The changes in scenery were perfect and the hike was the perfect amount of challenging. I’d rate it as Medium rather than Hard.

Amazing views

We hiked this trail on Sunday, 8/27/17. We started the trail near the ranger station around 7:30 am - the temp was a warm 74 degrees (there had been unusually high temps/heat wave in the Bay Area) and enjoyed the wonderful foliage and peacefulness of the trail. I loved the ladder (fun and easy to get down). We stopped for breakfast in Stinson Beach and finished the hike around noon. Had I known how hot it was going to be, I would have done this hike in reverse: crossing over Panarama and starting at the end of the Matt Davis trail (as there's far more sun exposure on that side) and saving the coolness of the woods for the last leg of the hike.

I wouldn't rate this trails difficult. Maybe moderate. It had gorgeous views, and was nice to have lunch at the beach. We did have trouble finding the Matt Davis trailhead on the way back up. Turn right at the fire station.

difficult trail with little recourse if something goes wrong, but beautiful and variable with great views. Bring some snacks though, because there are no food vending machines at the peak where steep ravine and Matt Davis meet.

More of a moderate than hard. Love that you can drop into Stinson for a beer and then head back up. Amazing views.

Great hike! I'd rate it moderate rather than difficult, and it's more like 7.5 miles with the walk to Stinson Beach. The Matt Davis trail is behind the Fire Station, and we passed by it at first. Steep Ravine was much prettier, but Matt Davis still had a great view of the ocean.

AMAZING. One of my most favorite hikes I've ever done. Epic views, challenging but not too-tough terrain, Stinson Beach stop halfway, interesting and carrying flora and climates. Get a map at Pantoll and fill up with LOTS of water for exposed parts (which are many)! It gets hot. Plan to have at least your last half after the fog burns off (after 1pm) because you don't want to miss the amazing vistas, available on both trials. I went down Matt Davis and up Dipsea. Don't bother trying to park in the Pantoll lot; plenty of pullouts along Panoramic Hwy into Pantoll. But DO start at Pantoll station for a map and water. Be aware that hella tourists, SF-ites, and college students swarm this spot on weekends. Try a weekday :) if you're heading up from the South, grab a latte at Coyote Coffee in Mill Valley and use the restroom in the Walgreens across the street--and pick up sunscreen if you forgot it!! You'll need it. Best. Daytrip. Ever.

Great Hike, beautiful views when you get to peak through the trees to the ocean. We went down Matt Davis and up Steep Ravine which is the direction I'd recommend. Stopping for lunch on Stinson Beach was a good way to go as well. You can also park at nearby Bootjack.

Such a beautiful hike, this place is like a rainforest! It's so nice to see so much water flowing. I started at Pantoll and took the Matt Davis trail down. Great views of Stinson, LOVE!

I prefer to start at Stinson Beach because it's a very good place to finish and then have lunch or just relax in a great atmosphere. I've hiked this loop both clockwise and counterclockwise. Steep Ravine lives up to it's name and will provide a workout. The open vistas on Matt Davis are fantastic. About 3.5 hrs to hike the loop including a short break at Pantol. Personal favorite.

Monday, December 05, 2016

Whoa, beautiful from Dipsea to Steep Ravine the ocean views are an amazing start. Then, to Steep Ravine which is just that & great as the middle of the hike to get your blood really pumping and then to finish with Matt Davis was nice. I didn't care for the switchbacks in the Redwoods on Matt Davis though I was ready to just get it all over with, but it was nice that it was all downhill from there. I agree with other reviewers this trail is 12km, or roughly 7.5 miles long it also took me about 3 hours. I started it late and when I finished the sun had set. If you plan this trail mid afternoon bring a headlamp and flashlight.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

This is actually 12 km. Took me three hours, but I was rushed since I went at the end of the day. This is one of the best hikes I have ever done. I went during the week during the daytime and I was pretty much alone the entire trail. It was amazing to hear the water flow and the sound of the woods, instead of people talking. The smell of the redwoods are so strong half of the trail and it was sooooo nice! The views are spectacular too. In all, this is now one of my favourite hikes ever!!!

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

I loved this trail I don't think it's hard at all, maybe the last 1.5 miles if you start from Matt Davis trail.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Great hike to the campgrounds above then back down.