Dinkey Lakes Trail

Dinkey Lakes Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Shaver Lake, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

bridge out

Beautiful trail, and the lakes are all close enough together that you don't have to hike far before you're treated to another gorgeous scene. The short distances make this a very leisurely backpacking trip--this might be my first trip where I can say that I didn't leave feeling destroyed! I shared more about our trip in a blog post: http://chrisdoesthings.com/2017/08/04/dinkey-lakes-backpacking-trip/

Fun, easy, and beautiful trail. Make sure to hike to Island and Fingerbowl lakes. Wild flowers in abundance. While First Dinkey Lake can get crowded the other lakes are less so.

Well marked trail except if you stop by any of the lakes. There are other trails that circle the lakes. It was a little difficult for us to find our way back on the main trail.

Loved this hike! Not easy to get to the trailhead, but totally worth it. Beware of the mosquitoes!

Great hike! Loved it! Getting up there is a challenge but worth it!

Been here many times. Do yourself a favor and start at the ranger station in Prather to get a permit and a free detailed map to navigate the rough 10 mi 4WD trails between Hwy 168 & Willow Meadow Trailhead. There is a way around the closed bridge. If you are hiking the loop, finding the beginning point of the trail can be confusing. Stay left walking out of the parking lot toward the trail. Start on the left side of Dinkey Creek and stay left of the creek all the way to 1st Dinkey. This is the easier direction of the loop due to the steep stair climb between Swede & South lakes. There was some snow on the trails but it is melting fast and will be gone any day. The Mosquitoes were as bad as ever so bring a head net and extra bug spray. Lots of swampy areas so make sure your boots are waterproof. Fishing was excellent as always at 1st Dinkey, South, Rock & Cliff. Slow at Island and dead at Fingerbowl although it is well worth the effort to hike up for the views and a bonus was snowplay for the kids at Fingerbowl under the Three Sisters peaks.

We walked in from the closed bridge on Rock Creek Road, adding 6 miles to each end of a 1 night trip.
The trail disapeared between Mystery Lake and Swede Lake. We used GPS coordinates to find the second lake on our junket.
From there the trails were pretty clear. The trail at Mystery Lake has mystified me on each of my trips to the area however, it would be nice if it were ribboned or otherwisw marked - and clear of the marsh!

Took alternate route from tamarack ridge to get to trailhead due to damaged bridge on usual route. Portions of trail by lakes and snow were very muddy or filled with water. Had to find alternate routes numerous times. Lakes and creeks were beautiful. Good fishing at swede lake and island lake. Looking forward to coming back again. 4x4 definitely helpful on dirt road out. At least need awd.

As of July 9th, 2017, the bridge on rd 9S10 is closed (looks like a tree fell and hit it?) about 5.5 miles from the trailhead. I don't believe there is an alternative route to the lakes.

I gave this 5 stars because, even though we didn't actually make it to the trailhead due to a tremendous amount of snow, we had an absolutely epic 18+ mile trip trying! Rock Creek Road was gated, so we figured we would just hike the whole damn thing back to the trail. It felt like it was uphill in the snow both ways. Camped at some truly wild spots, had some amazing campfires, a ton of laughs... and a fair share of suffering too. Nothing like spending most of your time surviving to help you out with some gratitude for the things you do have in your daily life. Can't wait for them to clear the road and get a little snow melt so we can actually get back there and fish those lakes.

As of Memorial Day weekend, if you want to get back to the trailhead and visit the lakes, bring snowshoes and be prepared to get your hike on.

This is one of my favorites! I love that it's a loop, love that it's dog friendly, and love the lakes along the way. The only con is that it's a bit of a drive but it's worth it! Take a car you don't mind beating up or take a vehicle with clearance and drive slow.

Took my nephew (6 yo.) and my niece (9 yo.) on this. They did fine. The road to this trail can be tricky. Pay close attention to your map and numbered route signs. The road also has deep potholes and miles of teeth rattling bumps. Easy trail, beautiful lakes, swam in each of them. Plenty of restaurants back in town after hike was done.

An awesome 2 night 3 day trip! My girlfriend and I, took my cousin and his wife on their first backpacking outing here. A great backpacking trip for beginners and also for people who love to fish! Over at swede lake every cast I took I came back with a beautiful rainbow.
I suggest going to longer route to the First Dinkey Lake(left) instead of Mystery Lake(right) unless you enjoy doing straight up hill climbs, then be my guest!
Gave 4 stars due to the terrible road getting up there and the darn meat bees! There's thousands of them. But overall once you get there, It's gonna be a good trip!