Diggins Loop Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nevada City, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 252 feet Route Type: Loop

This was a great and gorgeous trail! I would suggest wearing bug spray and boots, it’s very muddy. The views are amazing! I just love this trail! This is not a paved or pathed out trail, the trail was hard to find at some points but totally worth it! It is a little slippery and hard but it’s amazing!

This hike will make you feel like you are not in California. Very beautiful cliffs and valley area. I went in February and there was a lot of mud in the valley, didn’t mind much but your shoes will get very muddy.

It’s cool to look at the unbelievable desecration of the land from hydrological mining. The trail sucks for kids and parents if you do the whole loop. Markers are hard to find and I almost got lost at one point. I swear I heard a growl in the overgrown thicket area. I made a bunch of noise and kept my kids close. It’s too hot and hardly any shade. It’s also hard to know how far you are on t trail due to the landscape looking similar the while time.

Had a blast! Just got back from this hike. Took my spouse and our 1.5 year old in a carrier. We didn’t see anyone else out today but it was perfect conditions not to hot and not to cold with a little breeze. One section of the trail was a little hard to follow even with the numerous trail markers because of the runoff. We were lucky to be able to follow other hikers tracks left in the mud. All that aside it was beautiful! No bugs really because the time of year. A third is like being on mars, the next feels like a jungle with the bushes so tall and the last stretch is really beautiful conifer forest. There was a marker for a tunnel though we didn’t have time today to check it out but would be neat to do one day. A couple small sections of rocks that are a little sloppy and a small stretch of trail with a ledge. 10/10 would do again.

nice trail, but can be hard to find if it's been washed away. I was thankful for all the wooden markers!

Scenic trail that is pretty exposed most of the time. It can be a scorcher in the summer but you loop around a watering hole that is beautiful. The hillsides around make this worthwhile!

Fri Jun 08 2018

This trail is rated as easy and it's far from it. Steep hills up and down and very rocky. I had my 3 yr old and 9 yr old and the trail can be very narrow at times. The tunnel was very cool though. We were not able to make it around the entire loop as we lost the trail half way around. It's a gorgeous trail but should not be listed as Easy and isn't the easiest for children.

Mon Feb 19 2018

Fascinating history and an easy walk around the eroded bluffs.

Sun Oct 13 2013

We've hiked this trial several times, and usually in the fall when it's cooler and the maple trees color is changing in town. Nice quiet trial with some amazing scenery. Lot's of history in town and on the trail. Left over remnants of the gold rush days using the water cannons are along the trail, and of course in town. The trail is easy and family friendly but be ready for swatting bugs away during your hike. There's also lots of signs that bears have been on the trail too. We've never seen one there in person, but we did have a close encounter once where we are confident noises just a few feet away in the brush was a bear getting to their feet and up on their hind feet. So now I ware a bell and carry bear spray just in case. Even though the state park is closed, the rest rooms are open and the trials are open. Enjoy a quiet time in nature and in history!

Fri Nov 23 2012

WOW... what a great lesson in history from the museum and old town of North Bloomfield, CA to the Malakoff 'Diggins Loop Trail' we really enjoyed all the places they had to learn about the GOLD RUSH! Great place to take the kids.

Sat Oct 08 2011

This hike leaves something to be desired. It is mostly just a dirt road for 2/3 of the entire hike. Not much to look at along the way. Maybe a few spots that you walk along a creek but nothing too exciting. Towards the end there are a few spots to go to the creek, which is nice. At the end, where the falls are, it is extremely rocky. Actually getting to an area where you can see the falls can be difficult for anyone with reservations about slippery rocks or "get on all fours" climbing. Probably will not hike again.

Thu Sep 15 2011

This trail is a good beginner trail. Wide open dirt road, but it isn't very pretty. There were horses so dogs couldn't be off leash and the falls had a big chain link fence around. This is one i wouldn't return to with so many other beautiful ones so close by.

recorded Diggins Loop Trail [CLOSED]