Old Briones Road Trail

Old Briones Road Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lafayette, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Connect Diablo View/Spengler/Old Briones Road/Pine Tree/Orchard Trail for a pleasant 4.6 mile loop that has views of Mt. Diablo and the John Muir Nature Area

great hike. we even kept going to the top of one of the hills. fantastic views to bencia to marin once you get to the top.

We parked at the Bear Creek Staging Area which costs $3 for parking if someone is at the kiosk or it's free to park if nobody is there to collect your money when you drive in.

This hike is a series of trails, so make sure you print out the pdf of the park map to bring with you and compare it to the map from All Trails. Even with that, we still managed to get lost. There is a lot of cow poop along the trail, so you will want to watch your feet so you don't step in any. You will also pass by cows who are near the trail, but they didn't bother us when we went and I made sure to give them space.

This trail made for a good winter hike and there was a bench mid way at 'Table Top' where we had our lunch. There are no significant features along the trail other than rolling hills and a couple small pools of water. I wouldn't take someone hiking here to impress them, but it's a good trail if you want to experience hiking at this park at least once.

Pretty, tons of cows, but a little on the short side. I ended up making this a loop via the crest and valley trail. Would definitely come back again.

Try and spot the coyote. I’ve seen one each time I have hiked this trail. It’s pretty neat

Beautiful wildflowers.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Great trail for a levels of hikers.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Nice loop options, shade, sun, hills, views. Beautiful place!

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Instead of going out and back on the Briones Road Trail, I made a loop by going up to the Mott Peak Trail and the down to the Abrigo Valley Trail. This way I made the hike a bit invigorating and a little more interesting. Total distance was 4.4 miles with elevation 709 feet. It was still a moderate hike. For detail please my recorded track.

Friday, September 16, 2016

Briones was my go to hiking area close to the house for a decade. Great place to hike in the winter and spring. Not uncommon to see a few deer and the last time i was there in june I saw a Coyote about 200 yards away. We were peeking at each other through some trees... It was one of my training areas to do a few backpacking trips.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Excellent trail. It's fun to see the cows. I'd like go to again when the grass is green.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Mix of bush and open spaces, great views

Monday, May 09, 2016

Easy short hike, under 2 hours. Nice scenery, some steep inclines and declines but not entirely uphill the entire time :) It was cool to hang out with the cows in the field, but mind the cow poop all over the trail too. Our hike turned into a game of dodging poop for a while there, which was not in the least pleasant!

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Great trail but got hit by a downpour up on the ridge. Other than that lots of fun

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Great for a Sunday morning trail! Steep 2-3 and decent 2-3.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

I Love it out here for trail running and rucking!

Monday, July 07, 2014

Great trail! Had equal parts of lush, shaded areas with lots of trees and open areas with no shade whatsoever. The hike was medium steepness so it was perfect for beginner hikers like myself. Always bring lots of water, sunblock and light food and youre good to go! Have fun!

Saturday, November 24, 2012

I needed an easy trail to take some friends and get them started in hiking. This was the ticket. I use my phone to track the hike and upload it to this site. We stopped after a couple of hours and had a nice lunch under a nice tree. The son of my friend had a great time climbing the tree and even got me up for a moment. The rest of the way was full of great conversation and beautiful sights.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Drive to the top of Old Briones Road and it's an easy hike along a fire road to an open field area.

I bring my dog up here and she loves running off leash!! FYI, sometimes there are cattle and if your dog chases them, the farmer can shoot your dog (this is what I was told...).

Awesome views (Mothball Fleet and Mt. Diablo) and lots of places to have a picnic. Tons of trails. You could spend all day here hiking or biking.

Easy hike for kids.

Monday, November 15, 2010

OK, we got to meet some newts on this one. Anyone seen newts on their hikes?

recorded Briones - Vertical lol