Castle Rock Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Walnut Creek, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,010 feet Route Type: Loop

This park is temporarily closed to vehicular access, meaning there are no parking facilities and parking on roadways is prohibited to protect public health from the COVID-19 pandemic. Note: Due to COVID-19, the main entrance to the park is closed. Walk-in access is allowed. For an updated list of EBRPD closures, please see https://www.ebparks.org/news/covid_19_park_and_trail_updates.htm#parks-open-closed This trail promises a plethora of wildlife and nice views. It features part of the American Discovery trail and Coast to Crest trail. If you are feeling ambitious you can Summit Mt. Diablo Take Castle Rock Trail to any number of the connecting trails make a loop

There are better castle rock trails - this one is too open without shade.

Great trail up Castle Rock around Borgess Ranch pretty steep in places.

Views were ok. I stepped in a cow pie. I went clockwise, and I would probably only go counter clockwise if I was going specifically for the arse-kicker of a gain going that way.

It’s not closed...

Nice trail for the Spring. I recommend taking the trail clockwise unless you like starting with a very, very steep slope. Plenty of free parking between the two lots.

Cut out the last hill. It's super steep. Was getting tired by the time I got there. Still nearly 6 miles.

Very nice loop. Beautiful scenery and wildlife. Not too hard. I added a few of the cut through trails such as Little Yosemite and then looped by in a figure 8. 3 hrs with a stop for lunch and plenty of mini wildlife stops....

Loved this hike with our dog. Mostly modest inclines but some steep ascents. Mostly clay but some rock. Beautiful sweeping views. Some trail parts do not allow dogs.

Fun trail, did it with 4 kids under 10 and was just challenging enough.

Beautiful green hills in January, spotted with the skeletons of naked oak trees. (Requires walking through cautious cow herds.)

Great trail! Mind the cows :)

A few steep areas. Overall very nice!

hiked this trail last weekend and kind of messed up, we started to the right of the loop and came to some VERY VERY steep parts of the trail first. it was pretty hard, we hike with our children in osprey packs and it was definitively a challenge but doable. I recommend starting to the left for most people, although for me I would rather go up a steep incline then go down ...it is pretty hard on the knees if we would have had to go down. On the backside of the loop, about half way it started to get pretty muddy and I was happy I wore my hikers, anything else and we would have had a pretty rough time navigating thru the mudd...Overall the hike was very enjoyable and would absolutely do it again.

Very nice trail with views of the rock formations and rolling hills of the east Bay. There are portions of the loop that don’t allow dogs which was disappointing- we missed the far end of the loop but were able to use a cut through trail about half way to see the end of the second half. I recommend an edit to the description around dogs.

You're not supposed to have bikes on the Little Yosemite Trail, so I suggested a trail edit to remove mountain biking as an activity option. I looked at the map on ebparks.org and it looks like you can horseback ride this whole loop though, so that should be added.

Beautiful, breezy day. The weather early morning was perfect. Nice views & cool rock formations. We saw two deer & a few cows. There were several mountain bikers & horse back riders. Lots of cow & horse poop. The end of the hike had a very very very steep descent. Overall, great hike. We followed the loop on AllTrails & it was a little over 7 miles.

This was a nice trail, with some shaded areas and a good mix of terrain. I ended up taking a longer route (semi-intentionally, semi-accidentally), but it added to the experience (including one smaller detour to a tree on top of a hill with panoramic views). The hills, while steep, were manageable for running. The weather was perfect for it today, sunny and warm, but with a slightly cool breeze. Might be too much to do this on a hot day.

I did this trail when it was very hot out and there isn't a lot of shade. Gorgeous trail though, would be spectacular in the spring. Not a fan of the steep hills at the end though. That kind of downhill is hard on the knees.

great wildlife, little shade and some nice - but not extraordinary - views. Still, a nice hike to feel refreshed and energized. I did this hike late morning and it was hot. If hear bothers you, go much earlier.

It is a nice trail for a quick 2-3 hours hike. Nice scenery. I guess it would be really nice in spring time. Worth coming back that time.

ok we did this midday in July probably not optimal timing but still a good hike. winter & spring depending on rains will be terrific. pretty easy to follow with a number of options. beautiful rock formations. not too many people - and a public pool if you are so inspired after your hike. *people please bring water for your dogs!* i helped out a couple folks whose dogs were obviously distressed. no matter the weather just bring it. your dog will thank you

Disappointing. While there are some pretty stretches (Little Yosemite, Pine Canyon), much of the hike is along or adjacent to paved roads.

a few big uphill parts at the end that we weren’t expecting but made it through.

Sun May 12 2019

Good, relatively short walk. Plentiful free parking. Good elevation, creates some good views. Would be good for a jog as well.

Mon Apr 22 2019

Agree with other recent reviews. Nice views, flowers .Several streams to cross. You might get wet feet.

Sat Apr 20 2019

We completed the loop clockwise by starting on the left. If you take the trail counter clockwise you’ll have a long steep incline to start. This trail is really nice in Spring with green meadows and wildflowers. We liked having the stream on the first part of the trail. It was easy to cross.