Dewey Point Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(70)
Yosemite National Park

Dewey Point Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 508 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

icy

Icy snow. Could have gotten by with yak trax but used snow shoes instead. Pretty day not a lot of snow Lorie Davis, Melanie Lee, Shane & I.

Pretty easy snow shoeing hike but way too many people at the end. It really detracted from the beauty to be seen with 50 plus bunched up at the end.

Great hike! Snowshoes with a nice trail to follow. 7.5 miles was perfect to get back out there on the hike and enjoy some beautiful scenery.

Snow was well packed, snowshoes helpful but not really needed.

icy

Excellent view and super awesome skiing!

A few people out but not crowded. The trail through the meadow is much easier than the ridge. Great view at the end.

icy

This was my first stint snow shoeing, and I definitely enjoyed it, I used to be able to do 20mile hikes back in my day but boy this one really makes you work for it. I recommend taking the ridge back, there is more elevation but it’s not too bad once you get used to your snow shoes.

I am convinced that the positive reviews for this trail are referring to the McGurk meadow trail or something else. If you follow the trail that is on the map for this entry in AllTrails, it is not a 5 star experience. Starting from the beginning, there is no trailhead — you just start walking through a really swampy meadow. I kept checking the AllTrails app to make sure we were on the trail and it said we were even when there was no trail to be found. The first mile (at least) is like this. Our shoes were soaked because it was so mushy. And outside of finding an occasional footprint, it seemed we were in untamed wilderness. At the end of the meadow, finally we got on the trail. It is clear that at one point this was a real trail... maybe 5 years ago. Since then, no one has done anything to maintain it. There are fallen trees and decaying branches all over the trail, the trail disappears repeatedly, the brush is very overgrown, and if not for some yellow trail markers and the AllTrails map feature, my family and I would have had to pull out a compass and a map to get home. Once we got to Dewey Point, it was great. We took a bunch of pictures and it was really nice. But there was no way we were going back through that swampy mess, so we retraced our steps, but took a right at the Dewey Point Ridge trail. That trail was also totally neglected and very difficult to follow, but it was better than walking through the swampy meadow. If you decide to take this route, make sure you can access the AllTrails map for this trail and be prepared for wet feet, scratched up shins, and an extra mile of walking for when you lose trail and have to trudge through sticks and bushes to find where the trail went. As far as I’m concerned, we won’t be hiking this trail again.

We hiked this trail 6/26/19. We wanted to catch the sunrise and started our hike at 4:30 AM. Walking at a pretty fast pace, we got to Dewey Point at about 5:50 and missed sunrise by just a few minutes. Much of the trail is smooth dirt. A few sections have some rocks on the trail and there are several mushy areas, but all very easy to navigate. I wouldn’t want to hike it without waterproof boots. There are a few hilly areas, but nothing that just about anyone can’t do if you pace yourself. The view at Dewey Point is pretty awesome, directly across the valley from El Capitan. Views of the meadow and along the trail are pretty also. The trail is 4.7 miles EACH WAY so a total of over 9 miles. Great hike!

Park at McGurk Meadow for the most direct route to Dewey Point. Trail was still a bit muddy in some spots, but not terrible. Plenty of flowing creeks across the trail. INCREDIBLE view of the valley from Dewey Point. Quiet and wooded with huge Ponderosa Pines and Douglas Firs. There are some alpine strawberries along the trail at McGurk Meadow and various wildflowers in the valley, including Indian Paintbrush and Shooting Stars. We saw a Great Grey Owl perched alongside the trail looking for some lunch. Happy Trails.

Sat Mar 09 2019

Tue Jan 22 2019

This trail has the most incredible view of the valley I've ever seen. We snowshoed this route and it was fairly tough, but wouldn't be too hard of a day hike in summer.