Dewey Point Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(82)
Yosemite National Park

Dewey Point Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,007 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

icy

Relatively easy hike. Amazing views. Absolutely worth every step!

icy

We began this trail at badger pass. A bit icy on the glacier road part. We snow shoed and completed it in about 5 hours. From glacier point road we continued on to the number 14 trail. It was a little hard to stay on trail but eventually we saw the yellow markers and got back on track. The view of El Capitan is gorgeous. We had some snacks there before heading back on the 18 trail route. Enjoyed every second of the scenery!

Nice hike to a beautiful view. cCompleted about two weeks ago and used snowshoes for a good portion. we walked down Glacier Point Road (closed to cars) from the parking lot. I was suprised how few people we encountered. only two groups going up and maybe a dozen at the peak. Great winter hike!

icy

Not a ton of snow and snow quality was wet. It was windy near the point and we heard and saw trees snap off so watch for that! Otherwise this was a fun snowshoe trip. A couple of ppl did not wear snowshoes and post holed from time to time. Love this hike!

Did the loop. Secluded through meadows and forests over hill and dale and sniffing out the trodden path. Keep an eye out for the yellow placards high in the trees every 300-400 ft marking the route. This trail is rarely used and the the forest is taking it back in some sections. It’s perfect for a single day intimate experience with Yosemite Valley as a wilderness.

I dont know who rated this moderate but it’s definitely more strenuous with a lot of inclines and steepness. The end views make it SO worth it though! I cried

This isn't really a hiking trail, but a winter cross country trail. The trail is not always identifiable. The fun is trying not to use your alltrails map, and only following the yellow signs. It will hone in your ability to identify markers in the woods. The view at the end was absolutely fantastic. If you start this hike early enough, you'll get to Dewey Point before the crowds that come from other trails do. We had it all to ourselves for a good hour.

The trail was nice and quiet. Not very well marked but great views of El Capitan and Half Dome at the point. Follow the yellow markers on the trees to navigate.

Great trail with awesome views

Lots of butterflies but only some flowers in the meadow. Hit a few damp parts with bees, but otherwise really nice trail. Great view at the end with a refreshing breeze

We had a blast on this trail, but the trail was pretty tricky to follow due to all of the snow. It turned into more of a walk in the woods for us. We followed the signs in the trees in order to find our way and used a gps. It took us about 6 hours due to the rough terrain and stopping for a lunch break. There was a lot of down trees due to all of the snow this year, so be prepared to climb over some logs. I was happy to have my hiking poles. The views at the end were incredible!

Wed Apr 10 2019

Overnight snowshoeing on April 6-7 2019. Easily 7+ feet of snowpack; heavily consolidated. Beautiful scenery! Warm daytime temps and full sunshine meant loose snow in afternoon. I used 25” MSR Revo snowshoes with about 200 pounds total weight (body plus pack). Only one other group of seven was camped 100 yards away. Nice solitude. Awesome views. Took about 2 hrs easy pace each direction. Remember to get your backcountry permit from the side door of the ranger station (where the USA flag is flying).

Thu Apr 04 2019

Headed out on this trail for my first overnight winter backpacking trip on March 28 2019. Went with 3 other friends. We hit the trail around 12:30 and got to Dewey point about 3 hours later taking the 14 in. There was 8-9 feet of snow pack and a little bit of fresh snow from the day before. You definitely needed snow shoes as we were at times breaking trail. Temperature was around 30 most the day. We camped about 1/4 mile from Dewey and had a blast. At night it got down to around 20 and was pretty cold. If you don’t have the time or equipment for an overnight it still makes for a good 5 hour round trip hike. We took the 18 back to badger pass and were able to walk without snow shoes the rest of the way out. Get out and have some winter fun. Dewey looks like something out of National Geographic right now.

Sat Feb 23 2019

This was a really easy snowshoe trip. Beautiful views from Dewey Point of the valley. Great trail for beginners. It starts out on the groomed Glacier Point Road until you reach a sign that points to the trail off the road. The snowshoe track was so compacted that it was easier to walk on wearing boots rather than snowshoes especially the first part on Glacier Point Road. Even when you leave the road, the snow is very compacted from all the people traveling on it. It was perfect 35 degree F sunny weather, so there were a lot of people on the trail, but not overcrowded. When you stop for a break, you could hear total silence. We took the left (western) path on the way to Dewey Point and took the other path returning, ie clockwise. The sign says the left path is rated "Diamond" (most difficult), but it was quite easy in reality. The returning path rated "Square" was even easier with fewer rolling hills. I recommend starting early by 10AM, bringing really good food, and having a nice relaxed picnic at the point before heading back. There was plenty of parking in Badger Pass at 10AM on Saturday 2/23/19.

Fri Jan 11 2019

By far the best hiking experience of my life. My girlfriend and I stumbled upon this trail during winter season. Most were in snowshoes but we decided to trek down the path from the back of the ski resort and see where i took us. When we saw a sign for the Difficult route leading up into the woods we took it and it led to one of the most amazing hikes of my life. It was about 8mi in total and tough through the snow at some parts but all worth it to be at the point alone and gaze in awe at the park.

Thu Jan 03 2019

Skiing Warning: Despite this site and YNP trailmaps, this is not a x-country ski route! The meadow portion is great, but after that is marked as black diamond = most difficult. Very icy, narrow, steep, winding. Never had to hike so much in my ski boots.

Sat Dec 29 2018

Beautiful!

Sun Oct 07 2018

THIS IS AMAZINGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!! The hike is not bad and TOTALLY worth it. The views are indescribable and breathtaking. We would hike this every weekend. Suggest going a little further after you get to Dewey, and see Crocker and Standford as well. The hike back from those are a little tougher. AN AMAZING OUTING.

Thu Aug 02 2018

Awesome hike, even more awesome view from Dewey Point. We went on a Sunday during peak season and barely saw anyone. It was hot and sunny so even with 2L each we came back dry. I wish I'd have had the stamina to keep going on to Crocker and Stanford Points.

Sun Jun 24 2018

Parked on Glacier Point rd on the trailhead through Mcgurk Meadow without issue.

Mon May 28 2018

Parking is used for glacier point traffic control and it wasn’t available for park and hike. I went to McGurk meadow trail head to start and hoped I could trace this trail back, but the trail is washed out and it wasn’t traceable. I went back and came the same McGurk back. This 9 miles round trip was great, but I don’t recommend to use this trail.

Mon Mar 26 2018

My first trip to Yosemite... A buddy decided to celebrate his birthday there and I decided to join on yet another adventure, no tent mentality. We snowshoed to about a quarter mile from the point. Set up camp with shovels, tarp and snow stakes. We dug about 4 feet below the snow and built up a couple feet and patched the holes in the walls on the exterior and interior as needed. Visualize a 10x10 floor plan that featured an 18” tall trench in the middle that led outside the snow cave. Space for two individuals could easily fit on each side of the trench which also acted as a face to face round table for entertainment, and a place for cool air to settle in the night as we slept. A couple feet outside of our door we set up a kitchen area to prep our food. A sled which we happen to haul served as a multiple tool... A door for our snow cave to keep predators out, a snow board to ride down gnarly decents and last to haul out our tools and garbage. So when we got our permit pass to camp overnight, the ranger didn't mention thin ice (Trail 18) en route to Dewey Point. On our way back I fell in about knee deep while hauling the sled and luckily I was able to make it out. Two of my buddies fell in as well, one waist high and one knee high. It ain't no fun without a little excitement. My only disappoint was not being able to start a campfire, it was super cold at night even with all our gear. My hands and toes were frozen but I was able to boil some water and put it in an empty mountain house package and use it as a heater to bring them back to life. I'd recommend covering your snow boots over night to prevent them from being less frozen in the morning. Tip: boiled enough snow water to put into a 32oz nalgene and stuffed boots, rotate at 5 minute intervals. "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." Snow Camping Brain dump: come with ready made non perishable foods, waterproof shoes, rain jacket, rain pants and know your clothing layering basics, down blankets, down booties, bigger fuel canisters, sleeping liners, high SPF w/ zinc, chap stick., backup fire starter to a lighter, windshield for stove, battery pack for your electronics.

Fri Mar 23 2018

Took the meadows trail to get to Dewey Point... A lot of Frazil Ice, really dangerous... had to take the way back after sticking your entire leg into a water hole , having my snowshoe stuck in a bunch of trunks... Maybe the ridge trail is better, if you doing the trail, try this one ;-)