Dewey Point Trail

Dewey Point Trail is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mariposa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

My first trip to Yosemite... A buddy decided to celebrate his birthday there and I decided to join on yet another adventure, no tent mentality. We snowshoed to about a quarter mile from the point. Set up camp with shovels, tarp and snow stakes. We dug about 4 feet below the snow and built up a couple feet and patched the holes in the walls on the exterior and interior as needed. Visualize a 10x10 floor plan that featured an 18” tall trench in the middle that led outside the snow cave. Space for two individuals could easily fit on each side of the trench which also acted as a face to face round table for entertainment, and a place for cool air to settle in the night as we slept. A couple feet outside of our door we set up a kitchen area to prep our food. A sled which we happen to haul served as a multiple tool... A door for our snow cave to keep predators out, a snow board to ride down gnarly decents and last to haul out our tools and garbage.

So when we got our permit pass to camp overnight, the ranger didn't mention thin ice
(Trail 18) en route to Dewey Point. On our way back I fell in about knee deep while hauling the sled and luckily I was able to make it out. Two of my buddies fell in as well, one waist high and one knee high. It ain't no fun without a little excitement. My only disappoint was not being able to start a campfire, it was super cold at night even with all our gear. My hands and toes were frozen but I was able to boil some water and put it in an empty mountain house package and use it as a heater to bring them back to life. I'd recommend covering your snow boots over night to prevent them from being less frozen in the morning. Tip: boiled enough snow water to put into a 32oz nalgene and stuffed boots, rotate at 5 minute intervals.

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail."
Snow Camping Brain dump: come with ready made non perishable foods, waterproof shoes, rain jacket, rain pants and know your clothing layering basics, down blankets, down booties, bigger fuel canisters, sleeping liners, high SPF w/ zinc, chap stick., backup fire starter to a lighter, windshield for stove, battery pack for your electronics.

Took the meadows trail to get to Dewey Point... A lot of Frazil Ice, really dangerous... had to take the way back after sticking your entire leg into a water hole , having my snowshoe stuck in a bunch of trunks...
Maybe the ridge trail is better, if you doing the trail, try this one ;-)

We were unexpectedly detoured to start this hike from McGurk Meadow trail. The hike to Dewey point was fairly easy with slight elevation rises. The scenery was disappointingly overwhelmed with fallen/cut down trees. It seemed like it was "under construction". Upon arriving to Dewey point the view was SPECTACULAR!!! The view made the hike worth while. Since we were unamused with the beginning of the hike, we chose to follow the remaining Loop Trail from AllTrails guide back to our car. This was the worse decision! We had to follow hidden markers on the trees since the trail itself was not visually apparent from the ground. We ended up in a swampy marsh land which we HAD to cross to follow the trail. We almost got lost many times despite having the downloaded trail. I would not recommend taking the Loop Trail at this time of year.

Really enjoyed this hike. TH easy to find at McGurk parking Lot. Originally planned to walk to Meadow and back but was such a nice day went all the way to Dewey Point. Fairly flat however the last 1.5 miles to the Point left me a little winded. Didnt see anyone on the way out but I also got an early start. There were however a ton of bugs at around 3 miles.

The view at Dewey Point is stunning. You get to see El Capitan, Ribbon falls, and Yosemite Valley. There's great camping spots for backpacking! Keep your eye out for snow plants too.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Shhhh! This trail is kinda a secret (or seems to be as far as Yosemite trails go!) During a packed weekend at Yosemite we hiked out to Dewey's Point for the standard spectacular view of the canyon, ...but we were all alone! We saw one person hiking in and a couple on the way out. Constantly changing scenery throughout.

Monday, March 28, 2016

Snowshoed out to the point this past weekend. Was not crowded at all and good hard snow pack to walk on made for easy trekking to killer views. 10 miles of visibility this Saturday from the point. Worth every step!

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Was a great hike for my first snowshoeing outing.

Friday, May 08, 2015

All the benifits of a great view of Yosemite Valley without the mileage of doing Half Dome or Clouds rest. Perfect hike to take someone that may not be up for a 10+ mile hike. The meadow you walk through in the begining is a plus as well =)

Saturday, April 11, 2015

The weekend of April 4th I took a friend to Yosemite for their first time. They had also never been camping before, so I took them on a short backpacking trip to Dewey and Crocker Point. This trail is perfect for novice hikers- it's fairly short (7.8 miles round trip), it is really level (in Yosemite standards) and there are only a few mild climbs uphill. The views at the end are beautiful and the best part was we ran into NO ONE for 2 days. If you plan on camping out there overnight, there are some previous fire pits about 200 ft into the wooded area behind Dewey Point. Oh, and of course bring lots of water. The maps show there should be creeks but they are already dry this year.

Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Started from Glacier Point Road on March 30. Very few people on the trail. No snow very little water. We decided to hike to Taft point instead of Dewey which add another mile to the hike. The trail head was a bit difficult to find as it is not at the bear boxes but rather about 50 yards west of the boxes. On the way back we stumbled into a bear grazing in a meadow. We're still talking about that bear!

Monday, September 29, 2014

Dewey Point offers beautiful views of El Capitan, Sentinel Dome, and the rest of the Yosemite Valley. It was surprisingly empty. My group only encountered three other groups of hikers on the trail.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Beautiful--did this as a snowshoe. Well marked trail.

Saturday, April 29, 2017