Devil's Slide to Saddle Junction Trail

Devil's Slide to Saddle Junction Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, birding, and horses and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Idyllwild, CA: Take the Fern Valley Road northeast towards Humber Park. Proceed to the parking area in Humber Park located on the east side of the community of Fern Valley.

Enjoyable hike. Weather cool and snow on ground and trees as we approached Saddle Junction. Round trip to Saddle Junction took 4 hrs including frequent stops for photos and resting at Saddle Junction.

Nice trail, well maintained. It was fairly busy, I brought my dog and she loved it! Don't forget a permit from the ranger station, and dogs should be leashed.

Neither my dog or myself is in great shape and we took it slow. 1hr 45 minutes to the saddle and 1.5hr down the hill. The time includes rest stops and time to chat with other hikers.

Did this hike today and it was busy but still enjoyable. We took the teenagers and dog with us and everyone did well. You can feel the altitude going up which made it a bit challenging for us ocean dwellers but was worth it. I would like to go out farther next time. Remember to wear layers!

A beautiful hike with 1” of fresh snow. Will do it again.

Well maintained steady climb to the saddle. I would rate this on the high end of moderate.

Highly recommend this hike! The trail was crowded and it's uphill the whole way. Good to note there is no final "view" where the trail meets Saddle Junction. Took 2 hours, moving at a quick pace.

Took an older group of Boy Scouts (14-17 yr olds). Got there early on a Saturday morning and had no problem finding a parking spot. It was about 36 degrees when we started. But early on in the hike we were able to shed all our extra gear and we're quite comfortable in shorts and a T-shirt because of the strenuous climb and the speed at which the boys wanted to tackle this mountain! You are in the shade most of the hike, which was great. The views are awesome throughout the hike and the best is at the fire lookout house. What an amazing piece of history very well restored! Not and easy hike but not too hard. Moderate is the right ranking for this trail! going to do it again with my family!

Amazing views along the hike, but no payoff view at the junction. You’ll have to hike further on another trail for that

Great hike got there later in the day but was still a great day, the hike was all uphill with lots of great views excited to come back

Amazing views along entire trail. There is no water at the bathroom at the trail head so come prepared.

I love this place

Great hike with beautiful views. Going to feel it tomorrow. Continued to Pacific Crest Trail for half a mile then climb rocks to the east to see views of the value. Definitely worth it to make it to the top. Peak was at 8,500.

Beautiful this trail leads to other trails we completed Tahquitz peak from this trail

incredible views, well maintained trail. our only regret was that we didn’t have time to go further once we hit saddle junction.

Great trail to do at midnight fir a Halloween Challenge. That's exactly what we did. It was easy to find and very easy to follow. It was the first of three trails we did that day. After this went to Suicide Rock then finished of with Devil's Peak (I don't recommend devil's Peak cause the trail is over grown with briars)

I'm definitely going back for a day hike and possibly continue on through to San Jacinto Peak

Great trail. Just hard enough to feel like you’ve really done something but still very accessible.

Hike was good and has some good views of the area. You need a permit do this hike from the Ranger station just down the road. Also if you want to park in humber park trailhead that requires a parking permit which costs $5 and you can get that from ranger station or any big stores around Idyllwild.

Went with my daughter's volleyball team. I loved the trail, it was steep but i loved it. Still sore, but was worth it. Will definitely head up these trails again soon.

Great hike going up to Saddle Junction. Untrained hikers will probably experience this hike as hard, because there are a few steep parts. From Saddle Junction you can continue to Taquitz Peak, which adds another 2 miles (one way) to the hike. We didn't do that, because we ran out of time. It took us about 3 hours to compete this hike (up to the junction and back). You have great views of the park. We saw some small wildlife like squirrels, birds and lizards.

Beautiful groomed hike. Steady climb means a good workout!