Devil's Slide to Saddle Junction Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, birding, and horses and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Idyllwild, CA: Take the Fern Valley Road northeast towards Humber Park. Proceed to the parking area in Humber Park located on the east side of the community of Fern Valley.

All incline so be ready to up hill it - it ends meeting up with several trail junctions so there are options to keep on with another trail with less incline. Beautiful views! And close to town center.

Just came off this trail. it has a well earned "moderate" rating as it is approximately 2.6 miles of constant grade from the trailhead the saddle.

Trail is well maintained, switchbacks are well graded. All in all, this is a great hike with nice access to the PCT, Taquitz Peak (1.4 miles south from the saddle), and San Jacinto peak via the PCT (7 miles north from the saddle).

Such a great hike. I did this in June. I was just starting out for the season. Was hard for me to the meadows. Meet PCT hikers at the meadows. Will be back to go up go the peak

Beautiful trail with nice variety. The view from Suicide Rock is phenomenal. Being a flatlander and not in full hiking shape it was more of an uphill in parts then I expected but nevertheless very doable. Go to ranger station to get trail pass. Parking is all over the place next to road. Trail is easy to find

Hiked with a small group, first time up the trail. Started at 10AM and had shaded trail most of the way to Saddle Junction. Great views all the way up, moderate elevation gain, trial in good condition. No bugs at all. Would definitely return and go up to Tahquitz Peak.

This was my first hike and I loved it. The trail is definatly moderate. If you are in good shape this is a good starter trail. We really enjoyed the views going up, the trail to me seemed pretty narrow in many areas. I only say that because I like to walk with lots of space, we did stop to eat our snacks which consisted of turkey jerky, dried bananas, and trail mix nuts. we love our water packs which we both did not finish, my pack holds a 2 liter capacity. oatmeal is my staple to eat before a hike, it really helps my energy level to stay pretty high. but that is just what I do, there are many other foods that are great before a hike. Be safe and have a great time hiking.

This trail had been too busy in the past and now it requires a permit to hike it. Make sure you get your permit early in the day at the ranger station. They only issue 20 permits per day and they are gone quickly. You also need to buy a parking pass at the ranger station, except you own a Nationalpark pass already.
A ranger is watching the entrance of the trail and will check your permit and also make sure that dogs are on leash.
The hike is beautiful. I only made it to the saddle junction, because I didn’t have enough time.
Walking a steady paste it took me 1hr 20min to do the 2.4 miles and 1800 feet elevation to the junction. Going back was faster. Roundtrip roughly 2.5 hrs.
To complete the hike there’s another 1.7 miles roundtrip from the junction that I wasn’t able to do that day.
However me and my dog enjoyed the hike a lot. Very scenic with some beautiful viewpoints into The Valley.

We’d C

I loved this hike. It was a Saturday so A lot of people on trail. Top was pretty terrifying. Amazing views. Only negative was a group of young guys blaring music on trail and groups talking loud. This is something I will never understand. Just plain rude.

Challenging as it is mostly uphill to the top. Beautiful and even with the temps warming up to high 80s in town it stayed cool enough up here especially in the shade. Trail very well maintained! Lots of backpackers coming down. Parking was full for a late morning arrival so if you're planning to go up, hit the Ranger station for your permit and adventure pass earlier in the morning. We got the last spot. Enjoyed lunch afterwards in the park where there were a couple picnic tables.

great views along trail. A little difficult, but worth it all the way up and down stopping A lot to talk to other hikers

Gorgeous and challenging!!! Will definitely be back to do it again soon!!

Hikes it on 4/7/2018
This is my new favorite hike! It’s so beautiful! Very enjoyable hike. Parking was very easy. Lots of dogs on the trail and very friendly people. The trail was very well maintained and easy to follow. It was fun to talk to all the PCT hikers on the way up. We ate on the large boulder which marks the end of this trail and some hikers convinced us to continue to Tahquitz Peak which is not that much further. Make sure you put this on your list of hikes!

This trail is super cool! Very well kept, beautiful views of Tahquietz Peak and Suicide Rock. Lot's of shade, switch backs and goes around mountain. Great workout! Make sure to get your Adventure pass, and requires permits at Ranger station.

Beautiful day out. Light snow and ice on the round made it air slippery on some spots. Once we made it to the junction it was even more beautiful and a great place to take some time to relax.

We backpacked this trail on Feb 16, 2018 and it was definitely a steep long trail. Most people do not backpack this route and I can see why. It's really uphill most of the way and carrying 40+lbs on your back is rough. With that said this 49 year old and her friends and kids (ages 13 and 14) did great. We slept just near Saddle jct about 500 yds north on the PCT. There were patches of snow, and it was cold at night (down in the 25 degrees) If you plan to hike to the peak anytime soon bring microspikes as there is too much ice to hike without them.

The view was really lovely, but I won't be hiking this one again. Next time I'll stick with less uphill trails as I'm still learning to pack a lighter pack :)
Happy Hiking!

Enjoyable hike. Weather cool and snow on ground and trees as we approached Saddle Junction. Round trip to Saddle Junction took 4 hrs including frequent stops for photos and resting at Saddle Junction.

Nice trail, well maintained. It was fairly busy, I brought my dog and she loved it! Don't forget a permit from the ranger station, and dogs should be leashed.

Neither my dog or myself is in great shape and we took it slow. 1hr 45 minutes to the saddle and 1.5hr down the hill. The time includes rest stops and time to chat with other hikers.

Did this hike today and it was busy but still enjoyable. We took the teenagers and dog with us and everyone did well. You can feel the altitude going up which made it a bit challenging for us ocean dwellers but was worth it. I would like to go out farther next time. Remember to wear layers!

A beautiful hike with 1” of fresh snow. Will do it again.

Well maintained steady climb to the saddle. I would rate this on the high end of moderate.

Highly recommend this hike! The trail was crowded and it's uphill the whole way. Good to note there is no final "view" where the trail meets Saddle Junction. Took 2 hours, moving at a quick pace.

Monday, November 20, 2017

Took an older group of Boy Scouts (14-17 yr olds). Got there early on a Saturday morning and had no problem finding a parking spot. It was about 36 degrees when we started. But early on in the hike we were able to shed all our extra gear and we're quite comfortable in shorts and a T-shirt because of the strenuous climb and the speed at which the boys wanted to tackle this mountain! You are in the shade most of the hike, which was great. The views are awesome throughout the hike and the best is at the fire lookout house. What an amazing piece of history very well restored! Not and easy hike but not too hard. Moderate is the right ranking for this trail! going to do it again with my family!

Monday, November 20, 2017

Amazing views along the hike, but no payoff view at the junction. You’ll have to hike further on another trail for that

Monday, November 20, 2017

Great hike got there later in the day but was still a great day, the hike was all uphill with lots of great views excited to come back

Monday, November 13, 2017

Amazing views along entire trail. There is no water at the bathroom at the trail head so come prepared.

Monday, November 13, 2017

I love this place

Sunday, November 05, 2017

Great hike with beautiful views. Going to feel it tomorrow. Continued to Pacific Crest Trail for half a mile then climb rocks to the east to see views of the value. Definitely worth it to make it to the top. Peak was at 8,500.

Friday, November 03, 2017

Beautiful this trail leads to other trails we completed Tahquitz peak from this trail

Thursday, October 26, 2017

incredible views, well maintained trail. our only regret was that we didn’t have time to go further once we hit saddle junction.