Devil's Gulch Waterfall via East Peak Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(119)
Sheep Mountain Wilderness

Devil's Gulch Waterfall via East Peak Trail is a 15.0 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Azusa, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until April.

Distance: 15.0 km Elevation Gain: 393 m Route Type: Out & Back

This is the route to the secret and hidden waterfall in Devil's Gulch, along the San Gabriel River via Bridge to Nowhere, Sheep Mountain. Please note that the river crossings can be difficult and dangerous.

The 1st 2 miles in are a shit show, trash everywhere, zero hiking etiquette and again fucking trash everywhere. Got there around 630am regular parking lot was full so just parked in a Designated area! (holy cow people just parked wherever they want). The hike itself isn't that challenging it's finding the correct path once you split from the bridge to nowhere trail. lots of river crossing so bring extra socks or water shoes. My group of 5 got there around 930am with no one insight! the fall itself is beautiful and cold . We took some pictures, snacked, and then left overall maybe 45mins spent there. I didn't see to much trash at the fall mainly just orange peels, people did carve into the trees in front of the falls which angers me greatly. when leaving we did see 2 other groups heading towards the fall, idk they actually found it tho. My advice, get there early early early early!

Please people, pick up your garbage, it is very sad to see these beautiful places full of garbage, please be more aware, let's keep these beautiful places clean !!

Arrived about 7a on a Friday and got the last parking spots in the lot. Lots of space to hike but so much trash. I could not believe the disrespect people have for our outdoor spaces. Pack out what you pack in- if not don’t go! There was trash all over the roads, the trail, and bathrooms. The trail was great. Took our time and relaxed at the falls. Unfortunately, it got packed on our way out of the falls. By the time we finished and headed out the lot was full and parking was piled down the side of the road for about 2 miles.

Hiked Today The Trail itself follows Bridge To Nowhere trail but instead of separating from the river you stick with it and follow it until Devils Gulch. If you don't find it then you didn't do enough research. Literally the end of Devils Gulch is the waterfall. Download a GPS Map and look for the entrance of the gulch and thats it. Fuck you got All Trails might as well download the Forest Map. As for the trail itself its beautiful but it attracts the bad crowd. Loud People who don't follow proper hiking etiquette. Alot of these people are also drinking on trail and throwing their white claws all over. Respect nature guys! The Falls themselves are pretty but don't expect solitude for too long as it's not a secret anymore. Literally 5 groups where there when we arrived and on our way back we passed a massive 12 person Korean group. Hell I saw a Del Taco bag in the gulch lol... never a good sign. If you don't mind the influx of people who don't respect the right of way and don't mind passing a loud group every 15 minutes then its a great beautiful hike.

Friday morning 7am arrival. Few parking spots left in lot but side of the road wide open. Hiked out to Devil’s Gulch...look for Swan Rock on the left 3 miles from parking lot! if you’re looking for Devils Gulch, alltrails actually leads you to bridge to nowhere. You need to find someone’s recording to get to the secret waterfall! Caution...watch out for poison oak!

Beautiful hike - river is flowing like crazy! Tons of people - even during the week parking was packed and we passed people the entire way. A little hard to stay on the main trail because there are so many off shoots people have made. There are ropes at all the places you’re supposed to cross the river. Water is still pretty high so be careful - we saw a lady almost get washed down the river because the current is strong. Be prepared to get wet up to your knees/thighs depending how tall you are. It wasn’t as trashy as a lot of people said, but there were quite a few homeless residents along the way. Didn’t quite make it to the falls because of time constraints but definitely want to go back to try again!

This trial was pretty sick! Didn’t make it to the waterfall because we took the trail to the bridge not knowing but it was still a great hike. We hiked about an extra mile after the bridge thinking the waterfall was more ahead, we actually did find a small one but It was a really small stream and you come across a lot more wild life. Seems like people don’t hike that far out but other overall great hike I’m Forsure going back to find the waterfall this time.. btw ther are snakes on the trail but just keep your eye out for them they tend to just slither into the grass

We couldn't find the dang trail and the GPS coordinates I found on a comment here led me to the wrong location. We ended up adding a few extra miles on looking for the trail. Better instructions would have been helpful. Honestly, I'm not even sure the waterfall is real, lol. The river crossings weren't terrible, but be prepared to have soaked boots, so plan accordingly and bring some extra shoes or solid sandals. The trailhead was so packed that we parked a mile away and got a ticket. Tons of hikers in flip flops with no water, which I did NOT understand. This is not an easy hike and people were doing it with children. We ended up just going to the bridge. Won't do again.

flooded

I didn’t realize to some “river crossing” might mean wading in water up to your torso multiple times. I was thinking logs or shallow water. We will return on a day that getting soaked is a plus or when the water level is lower. Beautiful up to that point though.

3/8/20 lots of river crossings

Great trail & views even though we did not find the waterfall. My friend and I got lost last night because we lost track of time and the sun went down so quick. Thankfully a camper helped us and directed us to the trail and we got out safe. Make sure to take flashlights and good hiking boots. Don't get lost at night. Loooved it!

Kind of don't want to say how amazing this is because I want to keep it my secret and let the crowds head to the bridge instead. Really, though, this entire area is my favorite spot to hike near LA. You get a bit of everything - some wooded areas, hiking along a river pretty much the entire time, fun river crossings, desert landscapes and flora, mountain views, etc. It's really beautiful. Doesn't feel like much incline for the most part because it's pretty gradual. And weaving in and out of the river makes it fun so you kind of lose track of time. The very first time I missed finding the gulch and ended up just going to the bridge instead. Another reviewing has posted GPS coordinates - I used those (thanks!) and it did the trick. Oh - kind of random, but if you dislike spiders I have seen a LOT of tarantulas here when hiking out past dusk. They are nocturnal so just make sure you get back before sundown if you want to avoid. That said they are totally passive, just make sure you are watching your step and have a headlamp.

I would recommend this hike it was definitely fun walking threw some steams and heavily shaded tree areas and over boulders. What was really nice was hearing the stream all throughout the hike. The map says it is 9. Something miles but it was actually about 11 miles if you count the mile or so from parking area. What I didn’t like that had nothing to do with the actual trail was people carrying around their loud ass speakers with music along the hike. I understand you like music but I prefer driving far away to get away from loud music listening to nature (river, birds, quietness, nature). I was also really sad to see so much litter and trash along the trails. Next time I hike this I will definitely bring a bag to pick up after people who are so totally disrespectful to this beautiful place.

Really fun trail. Most of part is overlap with East fork trail to bridge to nowhere. But just keep staying along the river. The water is shallow now so you can treat it like the narrows. Just keep walking and you will see a small branch coming down from left (west). Just walk on the river (yeah, it’s actually easier than bypassing it) and you can reach this super big and beautiful waterfall. You will also see a long rope at the side which will bring you to the top of waterfall. But it’s quite dangerous so not that recommend