Devils Chair Trail

Devils Chair Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Devil's Punchbowl is a point where 2 earthquake faults collide, creating upwards jutting vertical walls as high as 300 feet. It is a spectacular setting, with the high desert spreading out on one side, and the pine covered Angeles National forest on the other. The hike takes you along the mostly shaded rim of the Punchbowl, to the dramatic Devil's Chair, a breathtaking overlook with 360 degree views of the geologic formations. A rainbow of rock surrounds the Devils Chair with pink streaked chalk white cliffs, undulating tan crags, chocolate brown slabs, and green-gray ledges. This, combined with the green of the mountains and the blue sky, makes for a memorable image. Hikers with extra energy may want to also take the 1 mile loop trail, which drops down into the punchbowl amongst the stunning rock formations. Summer hikers should bring lots of water as it can get seriously hot in this area!

105 degrees this trail felt like an inferno even at 830 am Enjoyed it nevertheless.

My first 7 mile hike. Temps in the 70s - 80s, just right. Double burner, 2 uphill climbs, and good views of the local mountains. I'd be to worried about bringing kids, because there are many, many, one foot wide paths on talus slopes that run through the gullies and ravines. I
loved it, but yeah vertigo for days. The "Devil's Punchbowl" is a must see.

We hiked this baby on 90° weather and we loved every step of the way. Good hike for my soul.

Good hike. Moderate but difficult in some sections. The first mile is a gradual incline and total calf burner! Then the mile back from the chair is the exact same. After those sections, its mostly flat. Finished in about 4 hrs altogether. Would recommend starting around 7 to beat the heat!

Start early before 730 am during summer. Average 2 hrs to chair. Nice stop to take great pics. If got vertigo, then be mindful. Heard stories of big horn sheep sighted but I haven't see any yet. Some areas of trail can be tight so if bringing kids then be aware.

This was the longest hike I've personally ever done! The first mile and the last mile, were the most difficult for me. The first mile is a small and steady incline but the path is very rocky. The last mile, the trail gets very narrow and steep. The climb back up , is killer! But I absolutely loved it! It was definite challenging but completely worth every step!

Great hike as always!! Little hot today but not unbearable, need to start sooner than 10am as it heats up!!

the hike has a heat-stroke-inducing-make-you-hate-your-life-choices incline on your way back from Devils Chair so be prepared and be sure to hit the trail early enough to enjoy. We began at 0630 am on May 21st and it was already warm that by that time we were on way back was it was barely tolerable around 11-12pm. we had stopped to eat our lunch at Devils Chair and took our time since we were he only ones there. By 10 am we started seeing more and more people hit the trail. There are areas of shade with a noticeable temperature change that give you a reprieve from the unrelenting sun. There are armies of starving mosquitos so be sure to wear long sleeves and pants and/or bug spray. The hike was beautiful and hard to imagine that something green so close to the arid Antelope Valley existed. The parking lot was full by the time we arrived to our car around noon.

well worth the drive. great hike. the chair is totally worth the walk.

Great views, very easy hike

Went 4/22/17. There's a slight ascend at the beginning and end of the trail (on the way back). The beginning of the trail is rocky and sandy right before you get to the "chair." There were a couple of spot with minor rock slide. This was my concern since I have a slight case of vertigo when the ground starts sliding. But, I made it!

4/16/17-This hike was not easy for me since I've only gone hiking no farther than 5 miles before. The weather warmed up quite a lot more since I was last here a couple of months ago to do the Punchbowl trail. The beginning climb was not steep but it was a very long climb. And then the continuous ups and downs which seemed like it went on forever, got me huffing and puffing in the dry desert air. I brought plenty of water (more than I thought I'd need, just in case) which added to my load, but I barely had enough towards the end. Encountered a gopher snake and a rattler on the trail. Just waited for them to cross and continued on our way. View at the Chair was fantastic. Took a 360 view video. We ate our lunch in the shade by the signs where the trail splits between the chair and Burkhart Trail. One stream crossing on the way, with very cold and refreshing water to wet the arms and cool off. On the way back, pay close attention to the trail signs so not to miss your turn back. Part of my group went too fast ahead and went the wrong way. Added 2 miles to the hike.