Devils Chair Trail

Devils Chair Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Devil's Punchbowl is a point where 2 earthquake faults collide, creating upwards jutting vertical walls as high as 300 feet. It is a spectacular setting, with the high desert spreading out on one side, and the pine covered Angeles National forest on the other. The hike takes you along the mostly shaded rim of the Punchbowl, to the dramatic Devil's Chair, a breathtaking overlook with 360 degree views of the geologic formations. A rainbow of rock surrounds the Devils Chair with pink streaked chalk white cliffs, undulating tan crags, chocolate brown slabs, and green-gray ledges. This, combined with the green of the mountains and the blue sky, makes for a memorable image. Hikers with extra energy may want to also take the 1 mile loop trail, which drops down into the punchbowl amongst the stunning rock formations. Summer hikers should bring lots of water as it can get seriously hot in this area!

Devil's chair is definitely something you want to do early before the heat rolls in. We started around 7:30am and finished around 12:30pm. It's a beautiful trail with not many hikers. The first mile in and the mile returning is all incline. The view when you get there is gorgeous but overall the entire trail was beautiful. The trail can be as narrow as a foot wide so watch your footing as you're walking in certain spots.

I been there 4 times, but only once I got to the chair

I took my three kids on this hike and it kicked our butts! We aren't avid hikers and had to work to get all the way there and back, but it was worth it!! We saw a bear, horny toad lizard and a deer throughout the day. It was great!!

105 degrees this trail felt like an inferno even at 830 am Enjoyed it nevertheless.

My first 7 mile hike. Temps in the 70s - 80s, just right. Double burner, 2 uphill climbs, and good views of the local mountains. I'd be to worried about bringing kids, because there are many, many, one foot wide paths on talus slopes that run through the gullies and ravines. I
loved it, but yeah vertigo for days. The "Devil's Punchbowl" is a must see.

We hiked this baby on 90° weather and we loved every step of the way. Good hike for my soul.

Good hike. Moderate but difficult in some sections. The first mile is a gradual incline and total calf burner! Then the mile back from the chair is the exact same. After those sections, its mostly flat. Finished in about 4 hrs altogether. Would recommend starting around 7 to beat the heat!

Start early before 730 am during summer. Average 2 hrs to chair. Nice stop to take great pics. If got vertigo, then be mindful. Heard stories of big horn sheep sighted but I haven't see any yet. Some areas of trail can be tight so if bringing kids then be aware.

This was the longest hike I've personally ever done! The first mile and the last mile, were the most difficult for me. The first mile is a small and steady incline but the path is very rocky. The last mile, the trail gets very narrow and steep. The climb back up , is killer! But I absolutely loved it! It was definite challenging but completely worth every step!