Devils Chair Trail

Devils Chair Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Devil's Punchbowl is a point where 2 earthquake faults collide, creating upwards jutting vertical walls as high as 300 feet. It is a spectacular setting, with the high desert spreading out on one side, and the pine covered Angeles National forest on the other. The hike takes you along the mostly shaded rim of the Punchbowl, to the dramatic Devil's Chair, a breathtaking overlook with 360 degree views of the geologic formations. A rainbow of rock surrounds the Devils Chair with pink streaked chalk white cliffs, undulating tan crags, chocolate brown slabs, and green-gray ledges. This, combined with the green of the mountains and the blue sky, makes for a memorable image. Hikers with extra energy may want to also take the 1 mile loop trail, which drops down into the punchbowl amongst the stunning rock formations. Summer hikers should bring lots of water as it can get seriously hot in this area!

Great trail! Geological features are amazing. Get there early!! I got there around 8am and it was already nearly 90F. The first mile of the trail has zero shade and I almost turned around bc I started to feel the first effects of heat exhaustion. I took a break in the shade (which magically appears after that first mile) and went the rest of the way. Bring LOTS of water. I went through almost 3 liters. Some areas of the trail are very narrow and sandy so I wouldn’t suggest it for small kids. Horseflies are kinda bad so bug repellent might be a good idea too! A true hidden gem though!

Not too far from Palmdale. No charge for parking or trail access.

Overall enjoyed the trail. As others have said, if you're not used to the heat, try to avoid summer or midday. We started on the trail around 8am and finished by maybe 11am? Drank 2L of water.

The beginning is uphill and sandy, which was tougher than I expected. Also, you'll hike down to the Chair and coming back up sucks a little bit. Besides that there's not a ton of climb.

Overall, I'd call this a moderate trail and good for anyone who's in decent shape for a day hike!

This was a great moderate hike. It was just the right amount of rigor for me and my wife. We hike and workout four to five times a week. It was a good workout , but not so difficult that we couldn’t enjoy the beautiful scenery. The rock formations were amazing and the plants and trees were so varied, interesting, and beautiful. What I look for on a hike is beautiful scenery and great photo ops. This trail definitely has those.

I went mountain biking on the devils chair trail and ended up in antelope valley hospital because of that I am taking away one star. it is not really a mountain biking type of trail.

best hike I ever went on in my life

06/12/18 Started @ 5:08pm and finished by 8:15pm this was including water breaks and a 15 minute break @ the chair. Avoided the hot sun. The hardest part is the mile getting to the trail head, after that it is pretty easy. Bring atleast 1.5 liters per person or 4 16 oz. water bottles.

fantastic views. Well marked. Free parking. it is VERY hot right now, I would consider getting here right as the sun comes up, maybe 6am? we got here before 8am and finished before noon but it got too hot too fast. Watch where you step because there are rattlesnakes, we saw one infact. also be sure to check out the awesome little visitors center, it has live animals from the area!

I really, really loved this hike. Kind of wound up there by accident, but it's very easy to find this park on a map. The trailhead is labeled "Burkhart Trail" and is located right behind the port-o-potty that is currently in the parking lot (all the way into the lot and to the right). There is also a station where they can provide you with pre-highlighted trail maps. Make sure to sign in at the trail register located inside the metal "box" right at the trailhead!
It's a beautiful UP UP UP for close to a mile, until you meet up with the PCT! That was a pleasant surprise. From there the trail is mostly pretty mild, until you're approaching the Devil's Chair. It was a warm day, which may have made it a bit more difficult than a milder day. Devil's Chair is a TRIP. I am afraid of heights, so it took me a minute to get the courage to stand up, but I did it. There are some spots where the trail is mostly washed out, and one spot where there was a little rockslide where the trail was gone entirely, but only for one step and hopefully will be shored up soon.

The trek back to the main trail is pretty brutal in the midday sun, so try to start this trail early or hike it in cooler weather. That's my best recommendation. Bring a couple liters of water, more if it's going to be a warm day. I onl encountered a few small groups on my way out, and several more on the way back. There was a small group of people doing court-ordered trail cleanup, and they were all really fun to talk with. Please keep your dogs on a leash!! It's not only for other hikers' safety, but for your dog's also. Snakes, slippery conditions mixed with steep drop-offs...just do the right thing. On all trails, not just this one.

its was a breathe taking hike but such great views of the scenery. would defenaly be going back but a bit earlier then 1pm.

I hike about 2x a month and do big hikes such as this one about 1x every other month. I was able to finish the hike in 3.5 hours including water breaks, and pictures when we reached the end. It is a moderate hike. It starts of steep and levels out and becomes steep on the way back and levels out again.

This hike was better than expected! The first 3/4 mile is a gradual ascent and the trail heads into a forest. There are mileage signs every half mile for the entire trail. The views are magnificent the entire way as well. This place is alive with wildlife. I noticed wildlife scat and tracks in many areas. As a huge bonus, the flannel bush (Fremontia) were in full bloom with their bright yellow flowers throughout the entire trail. The ranger told me the blooms usually last 2-3 weeks. The trail is up and down for the entire 3.7 miles After arriving at Devil's Chair, there is a decent ascent back up to the trail so save some water.

TIP - Unless you like the heat, try to get here early or go on a cool day.

Great scenic route, good exercise. Not for those who have arthritis and scared of heights. Views are amazing.

I would give it 5 Stars if it were not for the four jerkoffs that decided to make the devil's chair their own personal picnic area for 20 minutes. People ruin everything. Will stick to more remote trails from now on!

Ok walk if you want to get in a bit of elevation gain and a few miles. Views from the devils chair are good

Beautiful views!!! Great hike traversing different scenery. I loved the little ranger station! Make sure you go inside and look around.

Very nice hike, Im not very active and was able to complete it with out too much difficulty. I went with some friends and started in the morning around 9 am and we finished around 3pm. Great views and well maintained trails. Parking lot fills quick so get there early. Hardest part is probably coming back out of the Devils chair portion quite the butt kicker if you are a couch jockey like me. Bring lots of water and sunscreen.

Beautiful view

Beautiful hike but you will do a lot of walking. The elevation can kick your butt so bring water and comfy shoes.

Some areas are shaded.

I loved this hike! the views were a lot nicer than I expected, being so close to Palmdale I thought I will see mostly desert. I hiked on 4/28 the weather was perfect! I had a little trouble finding the right trail, down at the bottom are so many different trails that I wandered around for a bit, but I managed and went all the way to the devil's chair. I can't wait to do it again!

This was a great hike! Nice view and a great workout.

I did this hike in early April and the weather was absolutely perfect. Started at 8:15am, ended around 12:45pm going at a moderate pace (average mile was 26 min). Started getting a bit warm by then so start early. Prepare for 7+ miles with the first mile climbing steadily. Descending and coming out of the punch bowl is a tough climb but definitely a good kind of burn. At least two liters of water is recommended and trekking poles.

Well worth the hike. I enjoyed the adventure to the devil’s chair more than the chair itself though. Lots of amazing scenery to take in

Definitely not the easiest for a first time hiker but so worth it!

Really beautiful views and a fairly easy trail for the most part. The first mile there and the first mile back are the toughest. The first mile there is a steady incline and then the first mile back has some very steep portions as well. The trek through the forest is beautiful and the final views of all the crazy rock patterns and formations are worth the journey.

My small terrier loved the hike, and only needed a few short water breaks. I needed a few breaks on the way up the aforementioned inclines, but just going slow and steady seemed to do the trick most of the time. Took us about 4 hrs to go out and back.

Geologically, the two miles nearest to Devil’s Chair are impressive: white, green, and red rocks, plenty of outcropping to see, and an impressive view atop the “chair” itself. Parking lot was pretty full but we arrived around noon, when morning hikers were leaving. No parking pass or fees required.
The hike is mostly well-maintained and up to to car width, with a few narrow spots amid scree, and a few spots at the last 100 yards near the destination where one should watch their step.
Impressive views, a little bit of shade during mid-day. I’m sure this would be miserable in the Summer. Today was windy, in 70s, and pleasant. Incline is very easy and infrequent. Good hike for kids who can manage the distance. The views and formations make this worthwhile, otherwise it’s a quite mild hike (therefore three stars).

Just walking on hard dirt for a long time. Nice view at the end, but not worth the time. Better off exploring freestyle around this place.

Nice, challengingly hike with beautiful views of the mountains and desert. Hardly any trash or graffiti and not heavily trafficked. Enjoyed this hike very much!

Beautiful hike with amazing views!

Very cool and easy hike. A sign right at the trailhead would make sense to me, instead of putting it 200 yards up the trail where you can’t see it.