Devils Chair Trail

MODERATE 193 reviews
#1 of 2 trails in

Devils Chair Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

9.1 miles 2145 feet Out & Back

dogs on leash

birding

hiking

mountain biking

nature trips

trail running

walking

river

views

wild flowers

rocky

scramble

washed out

The Devil's Punchbowl is a point where 2 earthquake faults collide, creating upwards jutting vertical walls as high as 300 feet. It is a spectacular setting, with the high desert spreading out on one side, and the pine covered Angeles National forest on the other. The hike takes you along the mostly shaded rim of the Punchbowl, to the dramatic Devil's Chair, a breathtaking overlook with 360 degree views of the geologic formations. A rainbow of rock surrounds the Devils Chair with pink streaked chalk white cliffs, undulating tan crags, chocolate brown slabs, and green-gray ledges. This, combined with the green of the mountains and the blue sky, makes for a memorable image. Hikers with extra energy may want to also take the 1 mile loop trail, which drops down into the punchbowl amongst the stunning rock formations. Summer hikers should bring lots of water as it can get seriously hot in this area!

9 days ago

hiking
11 days ago

hiking
13 days ago

hiking
14 days ago

hiking
19 days ago

Really mellow, easy hike. Nothing technically difficult about. We did it 25% in the sun with 20mph wind gusts and the remaining 75% was in hail, rain and wind. Still very enjoyable, I liked that the trail was practically empty given the weather. Good views, would've been more beautiful if I was able to look up and see around me without getting smacked by hail but we chose to go regardless of weather. I would do it again in the sun for the views and possibly trail run it :)

hiking
19 days ago

Went on this trail last Saturday. Weather was perfect, trail was beautiful, couldn't ask for more perfect day! Even saw some Big Horn Sheep on the trail!!

23 days ago

hiking
25 days ago

This was my first time visiting and hiking the Punchbowl trail. It was 40 degrees when we got there around 10am and was drizzling (2/26). We saw a tiny bit of snow on the trail but it was not muddy or slippery. The landscape was really interesting at every turn, and the misty weather made perfect photographs. It was a fun hike down to the creek with plenty of water in it, and snow on the mountains. Definitely worth a revisit and have to come back and try the trail to Devil's Chair next time.

1 month ago

trail running
1 month ago

Amazing. Bring your dog it makes your trip so much better.

hiking
2 months ago

2 months ago

The first mile is a long gradual uphill that will have your heart beating. But then you get to enjoy that last downhill mile back to your vehicle. This is a fun hike, just enough ups and downs to keep things interesting.

2 months ago

hiking
2 months ago

hiking
2 months ago

hiking
2 months ago

It can get pretty crowded, but I have never had trouble finding parking. The punchbowl itself is interesting and pretty bizarre. Not a bad way to burn some calories.

2 months ago

3 months ago

Amazing views at every turn. I went two days before Christmas, and it was a beautiful, crisp day, high up in the mountain mists.

3 months ago