Devils Canyon is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Wilson, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I’ve done this hike a couple times and it’s convenient because there is great parking and a bathroom, as well as being close to the campgrounds. It’s a steep hike though into the valley and I never saw anyone else hiking it. However I did come across a cougar the first time. Although I think I scared him more than he scared me.

Enjoyable trail. Good for trail run. Narrow single lane path that skirts the side of canyon. Pretty much two directions - all the way down, then all the way up. So if your planning to run up, reserve energy.

Note that there are sections with an abundance of Poodle Dog Bush that do creep into the trail. With a narrow passage that skirts the edge, be careful. It will take ninja like skills to avoid. I did make a tiny bit of contact with tips of leaves. Hoping for the best.

If you aren’t aware of Poodle Dog Bush, pleas look this up, it’s effects can be much worse then poison oak. The tiny hairs get into the skin like stinging nettles, but the effects are far worse and more long lasting.

Parking and vault toilets are directly across the street from the trailhead--a recreation pass is required to park here. Started at 7AM in June and never encountered other hikers for the duration. Pretty trail and scenery with increasing shade as you descend into the canyon. The trail is very narrow, with several areas of loose dirt and gravel. The creek bed was mostly dry, except for about the last 50 meters of the hike where there was a different input that provided a nice flow of water through a couple of steps of rocks--this is likely the "waterfall" referred to in other reviews. Along some stretches, the vegetation had overgrown the trail, but still easily passable. Nice hike, good exercise, some breeze, plenty of birds, lizards, squirrels and some wildflowers still in bloom. Check yourself and your dog for foxtails--they were very abundant along the trail. My GPS tracked just over 6 miles for this hike, out and back.

Steep trail in some parts- bring sturdy shoes. Beautiful views of the canyon. Quiet, serene & shaded.

Beautiful trail, and very quiet. Great views at the top and a cool riverbed area and campground towards the bottom. We went on a Saturday afternoon and only saw two other people. The trail is frequently very narrow and crumbly, so watch your step. It’s an upside-down trail, with all the ascent on the way out, which can seem daunting but it wasn’t so bad, never felt too steep. We started down the trail at 1pm and found that by the time we started heading up, it was mostly in the shade, so this is a good one to do in the afternoon.

Note there’s tons of poison oak in the lower portions by the stream, some of it right in the trail, so beware and consider long pants if you’re particularly susceptible to it.

p.s. the description on AllTrails mentions a waterfall, but we couldn’t find it. The trail kinda peters out at a campground clearing, and we explored along the stream a bit further but didn’t find a waterfall.

This was an enjoyable hike that was moderate (or easy if you are an avid hiker). There are some beautiful views going down the switch backs into the canyon which was perhaps my favorite part, and some nice creeks in the canyon. The trail is narrow at places, but very doable. There were only two down trees when I went, and both looked to have been there for a long while. It's mid march and even though there has been rain, there was surprisingly no snow on the trail, despite snow on surrounding mountains - it was however very cold during the decent, but not as bad on the return as you are hiking back up since you're working harder on the way up. It's not steep however, and if you are in shape it will be easy. It was a nice hike, I would give it a B. Cons are that you decent first and I prefer working towards a peak as the end goal, or a big waterfall. There isn't much of an end wow factor, but don't let that deter you. It's still really lovely.

Beautiful trail! Spectacular views of the mountains covered in snow beyond the canyon below. Streams were flowing stronger than usual but crossings were easy.
The trail does thin out in some places so be mindful of where you’re putting your feet. I really wish this trail went further down the canyon, it ends just after a picnic area where there’s a barrel for fires. I tried following a trail that nearly disappeared and bushwhacked for a while before I turned back.

The trail was reasonably challenging. The trail is VERY narrow & has a number of fallen tress in the path. Along the trail are steep slopes of very loose soil/gravel. So mind your step. There are few small streams to cross as you get closer to the bottom until you walk into a dry riverbed. The trail actually extends beyond the point on the map. We walked roughly an additional mile & ate lunch on some big rocks next to the stream.

The hike, for us, was more moderate/hard and the erosion & steepness of the slopes at times made it a bit harrowing a couple of times. The scenery was similar from the top until close to the end. We took both our dogs who really enjoyed it. It was a great hike in the woods but not as much variation in vegetation & scenery as we tend to prefer.

p.s. there was no waterfall but may have been that hiked in mid-January

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Hikes this in September and the bugs were thick and persistent! It was pretty, but I don't think I'd hike it again due to the bugs.

Monday, August 14, 2017

This would have been an even better hike in the winter or spring. I almost gave this hike 3 stars but that was due to time of year, lack of water and heat. There was NO water in the streams. We started at 7:30 am and finished at Noon. The hike uphill on the way back was brutal in the summer heat and no shade for the last mile or two. Beautiful views and peaceful. We came across maybe 6 other hiker the whole hike.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

If you're going in the summer, start early and end early. The ascent is hot. Also, note that it's an "upside down hike" (the first half is downhill and the second is uphill).

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Nice hike - all downhill on way in and really nice and shaded during the 2nd half of the hike in. Multiple small river crossings and very narrow at parts. Nice big flat area for camping and multiple fire pits. Definitely gets hot early so for hike back out make sure to get an early start if you're camping!

Monday, May 29, 2017

Great hike! Get there early to avoid the heat. Very thin/narrow trail along the side of a steep ledge.

Monday, May 01, 2017

Good hike down to a good flat camping spot with a fire circle. A less traveled narrow trail, but easy to follow. No trash, just a lot of branches on the trail from the high winds the night before.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Not sure what trail John Smith was on but no trash or graffiti anywhere. Beautiful views, quiet, only saw 3 people on the trail on a Sunday afternoon. Perfect narrow trail, great vistas, crosses the stream a good number of times and offers some bouldering opportunities. Looks like the trail had just been groomed. Will be there again.
Hint: Save some steam for the treck back.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Trash everywhere on the trail and graffiti. Narrow trail along big sheer cliff. Park Ranger said it will be closed down for renovation for next few months.

Monday, January 16, 2017

Nice and clean hike love it.

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

What a wonderful trail to visit. Not only is the drive to the trailhead beautiful, the trail itself is immaculate. No signs of human litter anywhere. That is something I hope for on trails way out of the city.

I took my dog here on a Saturday and only saw about three people on the trail on the way down in the afternoon. The scenery varies all the way down and has gorgeous views along the switchbacks. It is a narrow trail switching backing down a canyon wall for most of it, so well balanced people should be okay.
I'm not sure where the end is, but at the river bed there was a landing with a fire pit and tree benches, a nice spot to relax.
Overall, it was as awesome as I hope for in this area. QUIET, FAR AWAY, FRESH AIR!
But don't get fooled going down, it may seem easy, but it's tricky. Rather steep going back up but 1500 isn't much, just keep chugging!

Monday, October 31, 2016

This hike was really beautiful - we went on a rare rainy day, and the cloud cover and fall colors changing made for a very cool, refreshing hike. We parked slightly up the road from the trailhead on the right at a small pullover area as recommended by the people at the Chilao Recreation Area. Otherwise, you have to pay for a recreation pass to park in the normal parking lot across the street from the trailhead. However, there were no cars parked at either location (one car in the normal lot when we returned). We went with our two dogs, who can both be reactive when seeing other dogs, and we saw no other dogs on the trail on an October Sunday starting off at about 9am. We saw a group of about six pass us when we were eating lunch near the dry river bed, but they were the only people we saw on the trail all day. The trail does get a bit narrow at certain points, but the varied terrain and views were very enjoyable, even though we got soaked from the rain on the way back up. The incline up is moderate, and didn't feel that strenuous. We'll definitely be back!

Monday, September 22, 2014

Devil'a Canyon is an awesome trail! Did this hike on a Sunday at around 2:30pm with a friend. We didn't come across one other person the whole time. There are beautiful views of the expansive mountains of the Angeles Forest. Great mix of shady/tree-covered areas and more exposed areas - it was great to feel the sun! It was magical walking along the river-bed (it was all dried up, but that's to be expected) during the latter end of the hike. Many great spots to chill, meditate, stretch, and just sit and appreciate. Although the first half is a descent down about 2000 ft, the incline is fairly gentle and the hike back up wasn't difficult. Definitely a new favorite spot! We'll be checking out more trails in the Angeles Forest.

Don't forget your adventure pass! Happy hiking! =)