Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Devil Canyon Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(77)
Browns Creek Park

Devil Canyon Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Chatsworth, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 554 feet Route Type: Out & Back

flooded

infested with poison oak!!

Fun hike. Lots of scenery!

Due to the sunset we were only able to complete about half of the trail. It was nice and shady but make sure to wear pants because the trail is thin and there’s a lot of weeds that scratched my legs. Also there’s a little bit of mud at the beginning and has a lot of rocks on the trail and sand so it makes it a little difficult to walk.

Great Hike ! Start at Rocky Peak Trailhead and End at Devils Canyon Trailhead at Topanga and the 118

Trail hikers will like this location, need water proff shoes in the rainy season. It over grown in some spot but still very nice. in the summer bring bug spray lots of water. Getting into the canyon is a challenge. You have to cut through some apartment complex, then look for a metal fence gate with concrete stairs leading down into the trail. Worth it.

Mon Apr 22 2019

It's definitely interesting. There is a lot to see and check out right now, including really beautiful flowers, but VERY poorly marked and not maintained well. We parked on Poema and walked up Bella Vista and there was no marker but we just kinda hopped in after the 15 MPH sign. We started by going up and left and took the trail past the gated community but it got sort of over grown so we went back to the "head" and went the other way. There are some cool rocks and flowers and a construction site... Then we went left again but down and ended up getting to where we originally were when the grass was getting tall, so it's a pretty good workaround I guess? There's an old rusted upside down vehicle that was cool to check out. where did it come from?? We went down and so after dry rocky terrain and grassy terrain, we hit some foresty area with streams. Sounds like the bed of the stream would be the trail in drier weather? Also, the trail says it's maintained by Los Angeles Parks and Recreation. Any idea if they plan on having a public trailhead? It seems pretty insane that public land is blocked off by a private community gate. Overall, fun to explore, but not a hike in the sense I was expecting it to be.

Sun Mar 24 2019

Left one car at Rocky Peak and parked another at our starting point near the driveway to the townhouses above Topanga and Poema. Great hike. Very scenic canyon hike with oak trees, a stream and beautiful grassy hills. Watch out for the bull at the top of the hill before you head back towards Rocky Peak.. He didn’t bother us, but he watched us the whole time. We went off the path for about a quarter mile just to give him some room. Awesome hike.

Tue Mar 12 2019

The trailhead is not easy to find, since there is a private community which it borders on. I eventually found the path leading to the trailhead and was able to make to back to the stream, the recent rainfall washed much of the trail away with no obvious crossing to the other side I was forced to turn around.

Thu Mar 07 2019

Amazing seclude trail, absolutely beautiful this time of year. Kind of creeped me out though, having to find the hidden trail head and being the only person out there. Im very curious as to the history this trail and who maintains it. Can’t find any info online.

Tue Feb 19 2019

With all the rain the water was covering a lot of the trail for the first 2-3 miles - so as long as you don’t mind wet feet or have waterproof shoes, this trail is absolutely wonderful!! Saw only one other person as I was finishing my hike. Absolutely gorgeous!! Serene and green and tons of beautiful birds and oak trees everywhere. I parked on Poelema, walked up the Bella Vista and turned right into a dirt path just in front of a little tower before the gates to the community and followed the path to the wood fences that led me onto the main trail.

Sat Dec 15 2018

Absolutely loved this trail. Rated as moderate due to overgrowth, mini creek crossing, and rocks for the first 3 mi or so. I only came across 3 people on bikes, other than that had the rest of the trail to myself and the animals around. If you are looking for a trail with scenery change, a little overgrowth, don't mind getting a little muddy, and just want seclusion, then this trail is a great oasis. Highly recommended. Wear good shoes!

Sat Oct 27 2018

I was little disappointed it was overgrown. But the biggest disappointment was all the new construction for housing development. If I lived in the neighborhood it would be a quick get some exercise in hike. But not worth driving to.

Sun Mar 04 2018

This is a wonderful hike! Total hidden gem! Pretty easy peasy, and the property owners gave us no trouble at all. Quite friendly!

Mon Feb 05 2018

Went yesterday, was a hot day, but inside feels great since shady. Had to walk around the gated community at start to get to start of trail. It's not easy to get there since new community blocks it all. The hikers ruines the rich peoples views :) Also hard to always sty on the trail (at 2 points) so remember where you come from, and when you turn around. don't do so too late.

Sat Jan 20 2018

Shady but a lot of ticks.

Wed Dec 27 2017

Park on Poema Pl and walk up Bella Vista and you will find trail on the right of Bella Vista just before the entrance gate to the community. Look for brown wood fence. Not a bad wild trail. Very few people. Some bikers said they have seen bears on the trail. Lots of shade and small side trails. Mostly dry this time of year, but had a few puddles for a dog to drink. We went about 4 miles in, it was all quiet.

Sat Oct 28 2017

Lots of shade.

Sat Aug 05 2017

Beautiful straight forward no nonsense fairly easy hike in a canyon which was often shaded. My recording of this hike brought it to 9.2 miles. The start was a little tricky to find. The initial 1.5 or so miles criss crosses a dry river bed. In fact the trail is the dry river bed for some good stretches. There was a vague trickle of water at two crossings. I did however find myself wondering if this hike would be possible in the rainy season. I started out early and the weather was pleasant but it got quite hot by the last mile. Anybody know how this hike got it's name?

Wed Jul 19 2017

Sun Aug 14 2016

Hike wasn't horrible, just monotonous.

Sat Mar 26 2016

Excellent!

Tue Feb 16 2016

P.S. I've heard there are Historic sites and artifacts up this canyon but I haven't found any. Does anyone know the .location of native american sites

Fri Feb 12 2016

Went on this trail today. i love it. Much of it goes thru private property. That probably why its not maintained. I went all the way to the end where it connects to Las llajas rd. and Browns canyon rd. Last time i did this area I went left to las llajas and down the canyon to simi valley. Its a long hike. I brought my bike.I'm not much of a biker I usually walk uphill and bike back down. One of the property owners stopped me and took my photo and info. He was nice though just informed me that he is not happy that all the maps have this as a public hiking trail and it goes right thru the middle of his property. He said he is willing to dedicate a path off to one side

Mon Jan 11 2016

Good trail, but we ran into some impassible mud so our hike was cut short. We will try again when the creekbed is dry.

Mon Jan 11 2016

Bottom line: easy hike but with varied and fun terrain, including creek crossings and cool canyon views Details: my fiancé and I did the trail and there wasn't anyone else on it. We went the weekend after the first El Niño rains and some of the creek crossing were really muddy but that just added to the adventure. Hardest part was finding the trailhead. Drive to the Summerset Village Apartments and park on the street outside the leasing office. Walk through to the end where there's a dirt bath behind all of the buildings and head north towards a stair set that's gated off (unlocked). Take the stairs down and the trail meanders through the canyon and soon enough into the shady hike passed the canyon walls.

Mon May 25 2015

Awsome family hike with wife and our five year old son did 3.5 miles there n back cause the little on got tired but overall pretty cool place to hike with the family

Mon Dec 30 2013

This is a fantastic walk. Done it several times. Follows a little creekbed all the way up to the mountains that separate SFV and Santa Clarita Valley. In the heat of summer it stays nice & cool & mostly shaded all the way to the top. There is some water in the creek most of the year, but don't plan on it for drinking. If it has rained recently your boots might get a little wet. Saw deer near the top, and long-horn cattle, and a cougar print in the lower creek bed. (I wouldn't hike this alone.) On this particular hike we started up Devil's Cyn, connected to Rocky Peak Fire Road, then dropped down into Simi Valley on the Chumash trail. About 10 miles end to end. Beautiful day for a hike but the wind up on the ridge line (about 3 miles) was brutal. Completed the hike in 5 hours. For those who are concerned about finding the trailhead... go to hwy 118 at the Topanga Exit. Go up the hill on Poema St. a few hundred yards & park on the street. Walk through the apt. complex and there is a stairway in the back that drops down to a dirt road. Follow that down to the creek.