Desert Queen Mine and Eagle Cliff Boulder House

Desert Queen Mine and Eagle Cliff Boulder House is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Twentynine Palms, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 580 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

I would change the rating to moderate. There are a dozen or more mine shafts along the trail, it’s fun to photograph and explore around them. All of them are sealed except one I noticed someone broke the sealing, but I didn’t dare explore inside. At about 1.7 miles the trail becomes a rocky scramble. It’s worth your effort to see the Awesome stone cabin, if you can find it. When you see the No Camping sign you’ve gone some feet too far, explore around on your right, it’s partially hidden. This was my favorite hike of a five hike day. Lots of old mining remnants outside the mines too, and some nice rocks. Not another soul on this trail with me today

Hiked the trail twice this past weekend. 1st time we walked down the wash. There were several remnants from the mining days that had fallen into the wash and been pushed down by the water. 2d time we hiked the trail and check out the old mines. Interesting but seeing where several had caved in will make you think twice about going into one.

0 signage but still cool for exploring the mines

Beautiful scenery with lots of ups and downs. The mines are very to to look at. I recommend staying on the tail unless you're going to scramble up a nearby rock.

Great fun! Where the trail splits just past the trailhead, take a right if you want an easy-if slightly rocky- path down to the wash. Good views of the mine from above before you hike down. Once in the wash, it’s super easy to climb up to the mine shafts. If you’re brave and have a headlamp, it’s clear that you can squeeze past the gate blocking one of the shafts and get a closer look. Cool to see all the old equipment. Binoculars were helpful for spotting additional shafts and openings. Hiked about a mile and half along the wash before turning back. Path back up could be hard to spot- look for a small but clearly manmade pile of rocks to remind you where to start heading back up!

Awesome views here!

Sat Nov 24 2018

We hiked to the mine and returned. It’s a rocky not well marked trail but a fun hike.

Sat Jun 02 2018

As you start the hike you will come across a “fork” in the trail marked by stones gathered together in the Shape of a

Mon May 28 2018

I really enjoyed this trail. It had many different, rocky paths, and you had good views of old mining camps and abandoned buildings.

Sun May 06 2018

I did this trail by mistake (credit to bad prep I guess). It can be hard to follow at the begining, but I think it got better as the trail went on. Not amazing so maybe do another one in the area.

Sun Feb 11 2018

If you want to hike this trail you must pay a $25 7-day pass to get into the park. P.S. I wish more people would comment the fact that you must pay to get to most of these trails because they are in the National Park.

Mon Jan 22 2018

Really neat to see!

Wed Nov 01 2017

doesn't let you check in

Wed Aug 16 2017

very fun hike, lots to explore and look at

Mon Mar 06 2017

Joshua Tree National Park hiking trails are not marked at all. We got lost and ended up hiking over several ridges where we ended up back into civilization at Split Rock. We then had to ask for a ride back to Queen's Mine Trail. Bring plenty of water. Would never hike any trails in Joshua Tree again.

Thu Oct 20 2016

Cool hike. I did not see another person on my hike. You can see some old mining stuff. I enjoyed it.

Mon Sep 21 2015

Good trail, but the best part was entering the mines through a hole in the grate covering the entrance. Take a headlamp.

Sun Mar 08 2015

Beautiful area--lots of interesting mining equipment and shafts. The wash is absolutely beautiful! Go past the giant boulders on the right as you go in and you enter a beautiful microclimate of cooler air and scrubby oak trees. Look up to see the erosion on the high rocks. This spot was very special and will remain with me for a long time. Bring water. Hike is not hard but you don't want to go without water.

Sun Dec 28 2014

This is an easy trek. As you head up the trail from parking lot you will see the ruins of the stone house on the right.**mentioned in previous reviews. Head towards it and follow the trail down from there( it's much easier than the one below the plaque at the overlook.

Tue Nov 11 2014

I loved this hike. Hadn't been out in awhile, and some of the views literally almost brought tears to my eyes. There are two legs to this hike. The trail actually runs up along the top of the ridge to end at a sign overlooking the wash and the mines. If you keep your eyes open, on the way along the trail to the right you will see the remains of an old house. Follow the trail in front of the house and down into the canyon. The trail will take you into the wash, then up along the side of the wash right up to the mine entrances, which are fenced off. There is a lot of downhill on this second portion, but it is worth it.

Sat Jan 04 2014

Trail is actually only about 2.5 miles out and back. Lots of cool things to see here. Old mining equipment and lots of mine shafts. The trail is full of loose rocks so be very careful. Good for all skill levels. I wouldn't mind doing it again when I have more time to explore.