Delamar Mountain Trail

Delamar Mountain Trail is a 11.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Bear City, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I did a shorter version of this hike (5.7 miles total) that begins at the junction of Polique Canyon Road and the PCT (as described in John Robinson's "San Bernardino Mountain Trails" book and by other reviewers on this page).

In addition to a shorter overall distance, my route from the PCT to the summit was slightly different from what's shown on this page. At around 2.3 miles, I hiked west on an overgrown road (shown as 3N80 on this map) to a use trail that travels south to the summit. This entire section from the PCT to the summit is the hardest part of the hike, as it's very steep and the trail is faint. There are ribbons and cairns that guide you though.

The view from the summit (a pile of rocks) isn't that great, so follow the ribbons south of the summit about 100 yards to a lower outcropping of rocks. The view from there is incredible.

I began at Polique Canyon Road (2N09) at PCT. Hiked to base of Delamar Mountain, where PCT and Delamar Mountain Road intersects. At this point, utilized GPS to find the trail, hard to find. About a quarter of the way up you can start seeing the trail.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

There are a lot of trails in this area and none that I saw specifically named the Delamar Mountain Trail so I am unaware where the 1.2 mile out and back comes from. That being said I used the Track uploaded by Allen Riedel as as a basis for the trail me and my group used this past Saturday. We took Polique Canyon Rd (2N09) to the point where it intersects the Pacific Crest Trail parked there and started our hike. We then followed the track to the Peak. The first 2.3 miles are not too difficult with some nice views. The last mile or so of trail to the top is either nonexistent or very faint. It is very strenuous but fairly easy. Some spots can be slippery but it didn't seem dangerous. I took my time and was rewarded with a very beautiful view of Big Bear and the surrounding area. There is a large mound of rocks at the peak that you can scramble up and sit on to enjoy the view. This hike ends up being about 7 miles out and back.

Saturday, June 03, 2017