Del Sur Ridge

Del Sur Ridge is a 9 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Santa Clarita, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking, and off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

off road driving

Had a great time. We found a steeper side trail that was more challenging. Watch for snakes...we came up on two rattlers fighting.

off road driving

This was a nice drive in the Jeep on gravel roads. This trail is not challenging at all. It is basically ungraded fire roads with some wash outs from rain. Any stock vehicle with ground clearance is fine. The first half mile is the most challenging. Views are nice as you climb the mountain! It took us about 2 hours up the hill and 1.5 back down. But we were driving slow enjoying the sights, didn’t see 1 other person on the trail.

off road driving

Took this trail as the maiden voyage for my 2008 2WD FJ Cruiser with A/T tires. The trail was fun - good amount of scenery, inclines, declines, bumps, and views. People recommend 4WD but I had no problem in my 2WD suv. Never even had to switch the transmission to a fixed lower gear or let air out of the tires. There isn’t much for cover and in the summer it was pretty hot and dusty. There are plenty of side trails fit for ATVs or motorbikes. Only saw one other SUV and two motorbikes the whole time. At the end of the trail as marked by AllTrails, you can go left towards the reservoir but there is a locked gate (apple maps shows it as an accessible road). The right turn direction back to the main road is tougher than other parts of the trail, but my FJ crushed it so I’d imagine any truck with decent ground clearance or a true 4x4 shouldn’t have a problem. Enjoy!

Fun trail, nice Mountain Views, however the moderate tag is definitely a bit overkill. The main trail is very easy, especially in a car designed for off road use (FJ Cruiser in my case) however there are some great alternative options that offer more of a challenge along the way. Definitely a great beginner route.

off road driving

Took my X5 XDrive40e out on its maiden off-roading voyage. Great road, I survived with all sensors and gadgets intact.

One tip: where the train “ends” in the app is actually a split with two roads you can take. I do NOT recommend the rightmost path unless you have a lift. The leftmost will take you to the resivoir, which is a locked dead end. The road narrows quite a bit and the rocks get bigger and sharper.

Excellent trail overall, many oh sh** challenges, but I survived. Turn back at the end of the trail in the app, or you will likely regret it

off road driving

Went out with a buddy of mine. I drove my 4Runner Trail and he drove his Xterra. I was in 4x4 he was 2x4. Both did great. It’s a great trail.

off road driving

Course is a great moderate course for the new 4x4 driver. You will definitely want the 4x4 as the trail will get tricky. I have a Jeep Patriot 4x4 and the ground clearance(8.5) was just enough. Anything lower then that will rub a lot. Great place to go to

what a fun and challenging hike....

07 FJ Cruiser Base, my first time out with it, and it was awesome! Not too bad, went after a rain spell and there were a few deep puddles but the cruiser coasted through. Great scenery on a sunny day!

off road driving

I went the day after it rained. The Trail is clearly marked, and has half a dozen or so meanders that eventually bring you back to the main Trail. There were several muddy passages that I would expect to be dry a couple days after the rain so 2wd vehicles should be fine as long as you stick to the trail.

I followed the AllTrails.com track however there was more to do beyond the listed end point and a few trails that were off the beaten path to be explored.

This trail is listed as moderate but I think you can choose between easy and moderate, depending on which meanders you pick. If you only do the main Trail you could do the entire trek in a mid size SUV or crossover. You could also choose paths that require 4X4 and more clearance.

The roads are wide so you can always turn around if you get in over your head.

Keep it slow around turns, there are many blind turns and motorcyclists like to ride up there as well.

Nice Trail- went it rains and puddles look crazy and un passable. Juts power through as they are no hidden rocks

Fun off road trails close to LA

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Not sure why it's rated moderate. This trail is definitely very easy without the need for 4x4 but the views are great. if you're looking for an easy run with amazing views this trail is definitely it.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Did this trail as the maiden voyage in my new Jeep. It was a scenic drive. Its pretty easy and you won't need 4X4 to do it. We packed a lunch and found a nice place on the trail to pull over and have a picnic.

Thursday, June 08, 2017

We went on a dry day, but there was still a lot of green to be seen. Great panoramic views at the height of the trail. Mostly well-marked. Bringing water is a must, even in a vehicle. We didn't see anyone else around, but it does seem like a great location for dirt biking or horse riding.
This was our first off-roading trip and I'd say this trail was easy, we did it in our stock 2010 XTerra.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Checked this trail out yesterday. Its VERY easy. Got caught in the clouds so it was pretty foggy and wet. But it was fun to explore.
This trail would be a lot more fun on a dirt bike or quad.

Monday, December 19, 2016

Fun, easy trail with a few side trails if you want to get adventurous. Had no problem in my stock RAM 1500. Did the whole trail in 2wd. Great views of the surrounding mountains and very well marked. It rained a few days ago so there was plenty of mud to play in. Watch out for dirt bikes.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

fun trail

Friday, July 10, 2015

I went hiking up Sierra Pellona Motorway near Bouquet Canyon Rd. On the map, it is just South-East of the coordinates for this trail. It was a nice walk to the top. I only went up for about a half hour, got a few pictures and came down. It is nice for off roading and biking. Not much shade during the day so bring water and a hat. There is a nice little creek at the bottom across the highway.

Monday, May 05, 2014

This is my very first off road outing. For an Easy trail, it's fun. On a dry day, you can go fast in certain sections - up to close to 40 MPH. 4WD not required, my truck is 2WD. I can tell the trail can get muddy and a lot more fun on wet days. Do be careful when you get closer to the bottom, coming from the top, because of horse riders.

Monday, January 09, 2017