Deer Gulch Trail via Cliff Trail

Deer Gulch Trail via Cliff Trail is a 6.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Fremont, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and mountain biking.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,240 feet Route Type: Loop

To find the trailhead, look for the last structural metal barn and once you pass a red fence, the green fence entrance will be right next to it

I park in the neighborhood between Morrison Canyon and Pickering. It’s a breeze weekdays, don’t know about weekends. There’s a 5-10 min warm up with the Trail paralleling the homes. Gradual incline. Then it starts to climb, 30 minutes minimum non stop. 50% of this section is at a decent grade. Very little shade makes it difficult. Only 1 small area for a shade break. Once you get towards the top, the views open up and more of a breeze to be had. The trail goes back to subtle undulations, which makes for a good cool down.

This trail was a nice and easy trail to me. You might miss the trail start so make sure to look for the last structural metal barn and once you pass a red fence, the green fence entrance will be right next to it. Some parts have a little incline but not much. It was muddy and lots of cow poops. The trail is about 40% shaded if you do the loop on Morrison Canyon Road which I did. I started at Cliff Trail to Deer Gulch trail. I didn’t want to go back because of the poops and nat and flies. Make sure to close your mouth and breath through your nose so you won’t have flies go in your mouth! Hahaha The views were awesome! The trail has a lot of overgrown prickly weeds so watch out for those. Once you pass the top of the hill and green fence, there will be lots of rocks to your right! Make sure to go up there for a good view and picture taking! Once you hit the Vargas parking lot, it’s 3.5 miles already and you can go back the way you came or go along the Morrison Canyon Rd. There will be a pedestrian and bike trail you should take back on the right. This will take about two miles back to where you parked. I parked by residential homes since there is no parking lot by Morrison Canyon Road. I would definitely take this trail when I feel I need an easy trail. Views are so worth it!!

Saturday, October 06, 2018

Scenery: 2 Views: 4 Difficulty: 3 Crowds: 2 Shade: 1 My 1-5 Rating Scale Comparisons for above: 5 for Scenery; Mcway Falls Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP 4.5 for Scenery: Berry Creek Falls Big Basin State Park 4 for Scenery: Steep Ravine Trail 5 for Views: Nimitz Trail Tilden Park 5 for Views: Ridge Trail San Bruno Mtn Park 4.5 for Views Montara Mtn Summit San Pedro County Park 4 for Views Rancho Canada Del Oro Bald Peaks trail 5 for Difficulty: Junipero Serra Peak 4 for Difficulty: Mount El Sombroso Loop Trail

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

I did the cliff trail to deer gulch and then took a left to the 0.4 mile trail. In general there is no parking and no entrance at the spot listed here. You need to drive to the start which is Morrison Canyon rd. There is space for maybe 4 cars there. The cows are fine, I saw lots of shit but they hide under the trees when it is sunny. The trail is 95% sun and 5% shade. I had 2 -3 bicycles in a hurry, I am sure there are more on weekends. All in all it was ok. I took my kid in a baby bjorn. It was more of an exercise due to the high steep incline than a joy. The heat was also oppressive even at 3-4PM . The view is nice though. Have fun.

Thursday, August 09, 2018

can be hot and dusty. beautiful panoramic views of south bay.

Monday, June 25, 2018

I try to hike this trail at least once a week. Back entrance is a slight incline into major incline and it's difficult for me as I'm a beginner. But, once at the top you have beautiful views. Saw a few deer. Watch out for cow poop. Recommend going early in the morning or on a cooler day as there is no shade.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Amazing views

Sunday, April 01, 2018

Best thing about this trail is, you get to see many buffalos and cows on the way and not very crowded like famous trails like mission peaks. I loved my lonely walk there. I recommend going there with your loved ones once in a while.

Sunday, August 19, 2018