Deer Creek Tribute Trail

Deer Creek Tribute Trail is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nevada City, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

private property

Literally couldn’t even find the trail. The directions led me to the middle of town. I looked around and couldn’t find anything indicating a trail. I even spoke to several locals and none of them knew where the entrance to the trail was. I eventually ended up running into a sheriff whom I asked and he didn’t know where the trail was either. He told me he knew a kid friendly trail and escorted me to Hirschmen Trail in Nevada City right off Hwy 49 on Cement Hill Road! It was kid friendly, leashed dog friendly, easy hike and marked. My kids whom are 2, 3 and 4 did .75 miles before we turned back around back to the car. Totaling 1.5 miles, they were beat and all napped on the way home!

Easy and kid friendly. Look for the cairns as you pass over the bridge.

You can walk along the flume for quite a ways, but don't miss the path down to the creek. Beautiful swimming hole to cool off in. The descent down to the creek from the bridge is a bit steep, but worth it.

Lovely trail for those who like flatter hikes. It follows an active flume system. The trail starts downhill if you can call it that. There is moderate tree cover which is nice on a warm day. The path goes through a lot of private land so out of respect for the locals stay on the trail. You'll hear lots of birds while you walk. There are also some nice big new growth trees. I imagine it would be a great trail for kids. Also AllTrails just lists a portion of the trail. The Deer Creek Tribute Trail does run all of the way back to Nevada City. On that portion there is more of a variance of terrain and a handsome bridge over the creek.

My favorite trail. You get to see the river and the hike is so beautiful! The birds were chirping and it is pure serenity!

We'll maintained and very clean. Just minutes outside Nevada City it made for a nice afternoon hike with the wife & dogs. Also a couple of cool brew pubs only minutes away.