Deer Cove Trail to Grizzly Lakes

Deer Cove Trail to Grizzly Lakes is a 15.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Dunlap, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 15.9 miles Elevation Gain: 6,295 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I didn't complete this trail. I turned after about 3 miles up. There was a lot of fresh bear scat on the trail, and I mean a lot. 3 huge piles within a few 100 yards that were less than a day old and it was just me and my dog so I wanted to play safe rather than sorry. Ran into some hikers on their way down and they told me the trail disappears after you reach the meadow. They were avid hikers so I took their word for it. I told a Ranger this at the visitor center in Cedar Grove and they mentioned that a lot of people get evacuated out of there because they end up getting lost. Maybe not the best trail, unless you can use a map and compass well and know the wilderness.

Mon Jul 30 2018

Decent trail if you're looking to bring the pup and not deal with a lot of foot traffic (I didn't see another soul). Area still has significant burn remnants and doesn't have much shade for most of the trail. Heat was an issue in the (late July) afternoon, and I definitely recommend refilling your water at each creek you pass. If I do this hike again in the summer with my dog, I'll avoid the trail in the mid afternoon hours because the sand was pretty hot. He made a point of trotting to shade, then waiting on me to catch up.

Thu May 17 2018

Watch out for rattlesnakes sunning themselves on the trail. Some nicer views higher up but somewhat by muted the forest, as glorious as the ponederosa forest is up there.

Mon Sep 07 2015

Didn't go all the way to Grizzley Lakes. I turned back at the junction near Frypan Meadow. The smoke from the Rough Fire was pretty bad in the morning, but cleared up as I gained elevation. Will definitely hike this one again & camp at Grizzley lakes & then head up to Mt Harrington & over the Monarch Divide. Nice views & very peaceful......I didn't see another person the entire day.