Deer Cove Trail to Grizzly Lakes

Deer Cove Trail to Grizzly Lakes is a 15.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Dunlap, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Decent trail if you're looking to bring the pup and not deal with a lot of foot traffic (I didn't see another soul). Area still has significant burn remnants and doesn't have much shade for most of the trail. Heat was an issue in the (late July) afternoon, and I definitely recommend refilling your water at each creek you pass. If I do this hike again in the summer with my dog, I'll avoid the trail in the mid afternoon hours because the sand was pretty hot. He made a point of trotting to shade, then waiting on me to catch up.

Watch out for rattlesnakes sunning themselves on the trail. Some nicer views higher up but somewhat by muted the forest, as glorious as the ponederosa forest is up there.

Monday, September 07, 2015

Didn't go all the way to Grizzley Lakes. I turned back at the junction near Frypan Meadow. The smoke from the Rough Fire was pretty bad in the morning, but cleared up as I gained elevation. Will definitely hike this one again & camp at Grizzley lakes & then head up to Mt Harrington & over the Monarch Divide. Nice views & very peaceful......I didn't see another person the entire day.