Big Trees Trail

Big Trees Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Novato, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hi fellow hikers! This is a wonderful trail! I'm from SoCal, so this was a great for me to walk in beautiful shaded forests! I came at the end of May, it was the tail end of the wildflower explosion, but there were still lots of colorful flowers to be seen. It starts as a continuous gradual climbing so I thought...this is easy! But towards the end it definitely got steeper. I hiked past the trees just a little to the left and came to a little redwood grove that was sprayed with sunlight...so pretty! (see pics). I thought it was suppose to be a loop trail but I didn't want to take a chance at not getting back to my car, so I just retraced my steps back to Vineyard. Wonderful experience! And the song birds!! omg! they were singing the whole way. I had to record them! Lol.
I only saw three other people on the trail (but it was a Monday morning) so maybe more crowded on the weekend?
I also liked that I didn't have to pay for parking!!!
Well...hope this is helpful ...now get out there and hike! :)

Great hike. Second time I've done this trail and enjoyed it immensely both times. Lots of inclines and declines, variation between heavy tree cover and open spaces. Beautiful views. Only small downside is the short jaunt through the neighborhood where you have to walk a steep decline on pavement until you connect back to the vineyard road trail.

Great local hike. Lots of salamanders along the way. My dogs enjoyed it and we rarely ran into people. Nice views at the top and beautiful redwoods along the way.

Enjoyed this nice little hike in the hills near Novato. Easy parking and only ran into a few other hikers. Gradual climb to the top with some great views of the bay and surrounding hills. Lots of bugs and horse turds so watch your steps.

Great hike! Great views saw 3 people the whole time. I will be back.

Great Hike - TrailHead on the left (next to a house) right before you get to a dirt road - redwoods are nice (not a ton and not very large) but the views walking up are real nice. Ton of Horse stuff - pretty narrow trail and very little direct sun. We were first people on the trail at around 730 only saw one other person. Great workout and really enjoyed it