Big Trees Trail

Big Trees Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Novato, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

loved it! beautiful and shady. it was a gradual climb to the top so not too bad. the trail at times gets pretty small. but a beautiful place!

Took the dogs around the lower loop, “lower” being relative at 1200 ft... lol. Great gradual hike with well maintained switchbacks. The Redwoods coming down over the mountain into the Novato valley are a great treat to eventually see on your way to the top. Looking forward to doing the upper loop next time!

This was so moderately perfect!!!!! Gorgeous! Everything is in bloom. Wonderful hike

Beautiful trail with great views! The trail was well marked, we followed the map in the post and had no problems using the trail markers. There is some wildlife on the trail, we saw a coyote. Enjoy!

Great trail, took a picture of the map located at the trailhead, well marked easy to follow directions, shaded with big trees for majority of the hike. Muddy today but no big deal, still enjoyed this quiet hike.

Excellent trail. Easy parking and safe feeling. Was hoping for a view to the south to see SF on summit, but mostly valley views, arguably more pretty anyways. Shady, so really good for warm days, but can be really cold feeling on colder days (62 today but felt way cooler in woods), so wear many layers if it’s below 65.

Moderate rating is accurate - steepish sections but trails are very easy to follow and well maintained. Did it in about two hours. Lots of horse manure when we went, easy for humans to dodge, no big deal, but may become frustrating if you are navigating your four legged friends who always wanna sniff around it the whole way.

Like all hiking treks, check for ticks at the end. Noticed one heading for open skin after I got into my vehicle, caught him though, no sucking on me sucker!

great trail easy to follow!

Steeper than we thought, beautiful area. Good parking.

Great trail with moderate switch back to the to the peak. Good work out with great views of the valley below.

Go when it’s a little foggy

Nice hike.

We really enjoyed this hike! Free parking on a dirt road right by the trail head. There are some pretty good up hills on the loop, and nice views throughout. Can do hiking shoes but would be okay with sneakers too. Dogs welcome. Recommend checking out Marin French Cheese Co for a post hike snack after, 15 min drive away.

Nice hike, lots of uphill trail, quite shady

Great trees. Nice hike. Great views. May need hiking sticks for safer trails but not necessary.

Second time hiking the Big Trees trails. Absolutely wonderful. Easy 7 mile hike. Gotta love those Redwood Trees! Great walking on a hot day. 95% is through the trees.

You don't really think of redwoods in Novato, but this trial changed between bay trees to redwoods to manzanita and then back to redwoods carpeted with ferns. It's a great change of atmosphere and elevation.

Good choice for a warm day, about 90% in the shade. Stretch it out a bit and start from the trail head at the end of center road, stay left and you'll get some nice views of Stafford Lake.

A great hike given the temperatures are in the mid to high 80s. In the shade virtually the entire hike 10,000 steps in 2 1/2 hours. It's all up then all down. We used walking sticks and it made for easy going the entire hike. Highly recommend using sticks. Narrow, single file path. Some redwoods, mostly oaks and bay on steep hill.

Hi fellow hikers! This is a wonderful trail! I'm from SoCal, so this was a great for me to walk in beautiful shaded forests! I came at the end of May, it was the tail end of the wildflower explosion, but there were still lots of colorful flowers to be seen. It starts as a continuous gradual climbing so I thought...this is easy! But towards the end it definitely got steeper. I hiked past the trees just a little to the left and came to a little redwood grove that was sprayed with sunlight...so pretty! (see pics). I thought it was suppose to be a loop trail but I didn't want to take a chance at not getting back to my car, so I just retraced my steps back to Vineyard. Wonderful experience! And the song birds!! omg! they were singing the whole way. I had to record them! Lol.
I only saw three other people on the trail (but it was a Monday morning) so maybe more crowded on the weekend?
I also liked that I didn't have to pay for parking!!!
Well...hope this is helpful ...now get out there and hike! :)

Friday, April 21, 2017

Great hike. Second time I've done this trail and enjoyed it immensely both times. Lots of inclines and declines, variation between heavy tree cover and open spaces. Beautiful views. Only small downside is the short jaunt through the neighborhood where you have to walk a steep decline on pavement until you connect back to the vineyard road trail.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Great local hike. Lots of salamanders along the way. My dogs enjoyed it and we rarely ran into people. Nice views at the top and beautiful redwoods along the way.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Enjoyed this nice little hike in the hills near Novato. Easy parking and only ran into a few other hikers. Gradual climb to the top with some great views of the bay and surrounding hills. Lots of bugs and horse turds so watch your steps.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Great hike! Great views saw 3 people the whole time. I will be back.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Great Hike - TrailHead on the left (next to a house) right before you get to a dirt road - redwoods are nice (not a ton and not very large) but the views walking up are real nice. Ton of Horse stuff - pretty narrow trail and very little direct sun. We were first people on the trail at around 730 only saw one other person. Great workout and really enjoyed it

Friday, December 30, 2016

Very low traffic, nice if you want to get away from it all. At times there are horses on the trails from the stables nearby. Lots of deer on the deer camp trail in December.

Sunday, December 18, 2016

One of the best in Marin Open Space! Gradual switchbacks make the uphill and downhill very runner-friendly.

Warning: when the single track Big Tree trail hits a fire road on the most eastern part of the track, go right, uphill and follow the road to the top. This section (mile 3.25 to mile 4) is very steep. Most runners like me will have to walk this section.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Great local hike! Beautiful, views, lots of shade!

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Not too difficult. Love the redwoods at the top!

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Nice hike. Not too tough. The redwood groves along the way are beautiful!

Monday, November 05, 2012

I was looking for a shady trail and this fit the bill. Actually very nice trail and hike. Good trail and signage; 90% in the shade; gorgeous views and easy access. The last climb to the top (Big Trees) was a good little climb-just enough for the avg. person. And the Big Trees were fairly easy to find- beautiful redwood grove-fewer trees- but Big Daddy was a fatty-est. a 35ft diameter? Not too many folks-shared with a few horses as a stable nearby. I probaby did a 5 mile hike as I took Deer Camp - Big Trees-and back rather then the loop of Deer Camp-Big Trees- BT loop back. There is some elevation-so nice hike. My first in awhile so I will be adding more.