Big Trees Trail is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Novato, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 662 feet Route Type: Loop

It a great hike with excellent views and a decent amount of shade. The only negative experience was the amount of horse manure on the trails. It was nearly every 100 yards or so.

Nice shady walk on a hot day. Disappointingly fee other hikers wearing masks, even while passing on a narrow trail.

noticed no mountain bikes but horses? that's actually not legally marked. In court any trail deemed for horses shall be shared with with mountain bikes. bikes give way to horses, horses give way to hikers.

Every pretty trail with a lot of shade. A bit muddy after the rain, but easy to get around.

Good. Big climb but mellow downhill

Fairly easy trail that is well marked and mostly shaded. The only significant downside was the never ending piles of horse manure. They should actually call this trail Prancing Dung Trail as we spent most of the hike navigating around said piles.

This would have been a great moderate trail, expect you have to spend 3/4 of your focus on avoiding stepping in the mass quantities of horse feces.

Visiting the area from out of town and was a perfect hike. Lots of shade and beautiful trees. Did it on a Monday early afternoon and was by myself except for a few people I passed on the way down. Did the entire loop including going to the top of Big Trees, took about 3 hrs total at a casual pace.

I highly recommend going all the way to the top & visiting the Redwood grove. Great views, fewer people. Shady trail. The ferns & other undergrowth look especially lush at this dry time of year.

A great shaded hike all the way. Beautiful.

We took this trail on one of the hottest days of the summer, 92 degrees, because it promised shade.. We started on the lower leg of the loop and cooked.. the upper leg, (left as you begin), is much more shaded in the beginning of the hike. Unfortunately we were medium rare and had to turn around before we baked a crust.

Beautiful hike! We hiked all the way up lots of shade it’s one of my favorite trails

This is a great trail. So wonderful in Novato to see a big stand of Redwoods.

Not too strenuous, but nice hike with tree coverage for about 90% of it. Good hike to get away from the heat. Lots of horse poo though.

One of my all-time favorite trails on a hot day as 85percent is in the shade. Awesome views with some even more breathtaking Redwoods await you at the top.

Hiked clockwise w/ my three dogs. Overall an easy hike, grade is not noticable except for a short section on Indian Tree Fire Rd. Nice hike but, nothing special. There are much nicer hikes in Mt Tam St Park. Wasn't worth the drive from the South Bay, as there are nicer more interesting trails in the Santa Cruz Mtns. Great if you're local and want a decent hike. If you take your dog, make sure you check for ticks, found a couple while checking after the hike.

Not too steep, plenty of shade, big trees (hence the name) and awesome views! Take the Ships Mast trail, then loop back around to the right on the fire road to get to the top and to the ginormous Indian Tree. This is a great hike!

Great hike. Lots of different scenery along the way. The full hike is actually 7.81 miles with a elevation gain of 1,304, not the 6.4 miles that it says. Also lots of deer along the way.

one of the most unexpectedly beautiful trails in Marin. Especially if you know where to find the secret redwood grove at top of the ridge. These redwoods are the oldest and tallest trees in Novato and you can tell. I posted a couple pictures. Most recent hike to the ridge I reached the top as a storm was blowing in from the north and I got some beautiful shots of Novato from above with a

Tue Apr 30 2019

The trail was moderate, decent hills but nothing horrific or too hard. Horses do use this trail and it’s narrow and beware of a lot of cropping up poison oak. Lots of green, turkey vultures swooping under the trees and right in front of us as well as some other birds of prey and LOTS of lizards. Wildflowers and wild irises of all colors blooming. Easy to park.

Sun Apr 28 2019

Pretty hike with forests and a nice view at the top. We saw lots of salamanders and it wasn’t too crowded on a Saturday.

Tue Apr 09 2019

I hiked this trail around 9am on a Sunday with my dog. At that time we only came across a few other hikers & 2 horses. We saw a lot of deer, turkeys, banana slugs & salamanders. At lower elevations the trail had some muddy spots but all were easily passable. The trail is well shaded, ideal for warmer days so you don't get blasted by the sun. It took us about 2:30 hours & my dog did have a few ticks crawling on her after the hike.

Mon Feb 11 2019

Beautiful trail among riparian trees. Parts of the trail were wet due to recent rains. But I will definitely come back again.

Sat Jan 26 2019

Very dense trees in some places. Also wet because of rains last week .

Mon Jan 21 2019

Very nice hike. There are not many views, but the forest is very diverse and looks great. I went on a rainy Sunday, started at 8am. I haven’t met anybody until 10.30am. The full loop took me about 3 hours. The parking is on the street, there is plenty. The hike is steep at times, but overall I’d rate it as moderate. I haven’t seen any wildlife except for birds and lizards. I saw many lizards were right on the trail. They move slowly (not your mountain lizards), so need to watch out not to step on them. The hike is very green overall. There is a lot of shade. Very pretty and relaxing. I think it’s a great hike in the woods, just 1 hour from San Francisco. Highly recommended.

Sun Jan 20 2019

Mon Dec 31 2018

This trail was beautiful! I'm not from the area and was surprised at how lush and green it was. I wrote a more in depth review here https://bit.ly/2AnMxuR

Mon Dec 03 2018

Billions of ticks and views mostly blocked by trees. There are many many many better trails in Novato, and I’ve never not given a trial 5 stars.