Deep Creek Hot Springs Trail

Deep Creek Hot Springs Trail is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hesperia, California that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 921 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

hot springs

This is a short hike to natural hot springs within the San Bernardino National Forest of Southern California. This is a day-use area only and no overnight camping is permitted. You can enter the trail from Bowen Ranch Road, where you will pay a $10 per person entrance fee (not per vehicle) at the entrance to the parking area. If you do not have a 4x4 vehicle, consider a different route. The dirt road is very bumpy and rocky. From the trailhead, it is an easy 2 mile hike downhill to the Mojave River and the adjacent hot springs. The descent is a steep hill and can be sandy in areas. Once at the hot springs, there are several pools to choose from. The Pacific Crest Trail can be accessed from the hot springs. With warm temperatures in a high desert area, sunscreen and plenty of water are necessary for your hike. There is a natural drinking water source located behind the hot pools which drains out of a copper pipe which can be used for refills. The hike back out of deep creek canyon to the parking lot is all uphill and can be very steep at times. At the springs, clothing is optional, so if nudity offends you you may want to choose another hike. This hike is kids friendly, but again, there is nudity at the pools that may influence your decision to bring kids.

Went here yesterday 6/3/19. Definitely best to take a truck, front wheel or 4 wheel drive as the road is mostly dirt with grooves and bumps. Parked at Bowen’s ranch. Didn’t meet the owner but everything is pretty straightforward if you are taking the time to be present & read the directions. The directions are clearly posted & they provide everything you need to know + trash bags. The owner asks that you turn off car ignition while signing in, paying, and getting yourself together. Makes sense if you live there and have lots of vehicle traffic coming in & out— I wouldn’t want to breathe in those fumes unnecessarily either, so just be mindful & respectful. I think it’s worth the $10 per person. Clothing is optional so be mindful of where that sits with you before you go & be respectful of all. Bring lots of water and some sustaining snacks. The way back up is harder than down + not much shade. Some areas are a little steep, make sure you bring proper shoes & change of clothes. To access the hot springs just cross the cold water (some spots are about knee deep, other spots are waist to above head). Hot springs are beautiful (there are about 4 as soon as you make the hike down & folks are pretty friendly & great at letting others have a turn. Would definitely go again!

private property

I just went there today 6/1/19 it was nice hike down but A little more challenging coming back up. take plenty of extra water for the hike back to the parking area. We did see someone get dehydrated trying making the trip back up $10 per person and totally not kid friendly (It is a clothing optional area) this app needs to be updated

Went on a hiker rescue! He’ll be fine :)

This is based in my personal experience. It was a nice hike, but too sad some people go there to get high and drunk. The way down is easy but the way back could be challenging if you’re not prepared. The water on the river that you have to cross to get to the hot springs was FREEZING, I could barely feel my feet. Take a lot of pictures cause is easy to forget where you came from at the time to head back.

New graffiti along trail unfortunately as of March, including a swastika.

private property

We had a great experience. Went through the ranch & paid our $10 the trail was clean & easy to get to the hot springs with the maps they provided at the toll booth. Hot springs were clean and no trash. Overall pretty good experience for a Monday! I will go back!

Make sure to bring water

We tried to go today but our GPS took us to a different route. I’m glad that we have a cross trek, because we were unaware that it was a dirt road (crabs flat). I wished it was mentioned on the hike. We will try to go an other time. We still had a great time and enjoyed the view.

The owner said that access to the springs via his property is permanently closed. This may change subject to his whims, but steer clear unless you want a serious chewing out. Owner referenced the number of people that come unprepared and the "daily" rescues. The road in and out was dicey after the recent rains. Who knows if it's actually closed or if he just decided to close it for the day, either way, the owner was very rude.

It is now $10 per person for day use! Update to those coming through Bowen Ranch. The owner no longer allows camping at his property and is very strict on entry and exit for day hikes. The hours are 7am - 5pm and he wants people out before dark or he charges an extra $10 per person. He will not let anyone in during rainy days. The road is already washed out from recent rains. We just went on 12/15/18 and there was a helicopter rescue so the owner isn’t lying its happening way too frequently. Unfortunately the popularity of this place due to Instagram, travel blogs and hiking apps like AllTrails have led to an unprecedented number of people illegally camping at the springs, leaving lots of garbage and getting lost requiring the sheriff to search and rescue many people via helicopter. A man died at the springs this past august because he was jumping from rocks into shallow water while trying to get GoPro footage of himself. The other road by his property is only for offroading vehicles and many have gotten stuck there, please don’t. Finally do not go to the springs if you are not comfortable with nudity!

great place

My favorite trail. Relatively easy hike through the desert to beautiful hot springs. Any car can handle the “off roading”- drive slow. Must see

11/6/18 Drove to the trail head in a Ford Focus st. Take your time and a small vehicle does just fine with no scraping what so ever. Beautiful views at the hot spring but be advised there will be nudists at certain points. The hike out is all up hill making it more challenging on the way back. Pretty decent work out. I will return to hike again.

you can't really go up the trail with the regular car at least not with a 4 by 4. I recommend you come with either a dune buggy or a 4 by 4 truck.

We weren’t expecting nudists at the hot spring but the trail was fun, challenging and had spectacular views.

1st of all there's a gate that's locked. Once you find a way around you will need a vehicle with high-clearance to reach the top. Nobody said that in these comments so unless you want to waste time & money to go out and discover this disappointment like we did then listen up. Booo!

If you're going to do this hike, do it from Bradford Ridge. We did the Bradford Ridge side in July and it was much more enjoyable. Less people, more difficult (we like the challenge) and you don't have to deal with the gate guard. We are very respectful people and the gate guard was just rude. We were only going down for a couple hours and they made us take our wine bottle out of our packed cooler and put our firewood on the side and proceeded to tell us "we shouldn't even be open because people break rules all of the time." We weren't camping down there nor were we going to drink. We had brought my boyfriend's parents with us. It was just an annoying 20 minutes of telling us about stuff we didn't care to know about and the way the talked to us was condescending. I absolutely LOVE Deep Creek Hot Springs but will, for now on, do it from Bradford Ridge if I make my way back there someday. tips: If you do take this side, be short and sweet with the gate guard to avoid a long schpeil. If you have firewood in your car (and aren't using it down by the creek...not allowed anyways) and don't feel like unloading all of it...put it under a blanket or hide it. Also, if you have a bottle of wine under 10 pounds of ice, water and food and don't plan to drink it, don't tell them you have it because they'll make you dig through the big ass cooler to put it on the side of the road. I am not typically a complainer but figured others needed to hear for themselves. I've read the reviews before going and prepared to be as nice/professional/respectful as possible. They're just annoying old crotchity folk.

Is camping no longer allowed at Bowen Ranch? I know it’s a long shot, but trying to get some intel last minute for an overnight trip out there tonight/tmrw. I camped there last time but this was years ago. Maybe things have changed? Gatekeeper wasn’t bad like many have said, we were respectful and chill and didn’t have any problems. He gave us detailed directions for the hike in and some tips, such as starting while there’s still a bit of light, and paying attention to trail landmarks, as the trail can be confusing in the dark. The camping was nothing special (basically a gravel lot) but you’re there for the hot springs, not the campsite. They were as awesome as all the reviews indicate! Would go back again. Actually. We’re going today haha. Considering another alternative—hiking in via Bradford Ridge. Can anyone recommend campsites an easy shot from that trail? Either developed or primitive... Main thing is it’s super last minute so looking for an option that doesn’t require reservations. Thanks!!’

Amazing hike be sure to take plenty plenty plenty of water for the hike back up it’s killer but other than that the hot springs is awesome. $5 per person entrance fee to park at Bowen ranch it is not a 2 mile hike that man is lying he played my soul lol. It’s over 3 Miles almost 4 Miles. P.S. take plenty of water!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome view easy hike down, moderate hike back up Parking is on someone property 5 dollars per person not car Hot Springs are heaven on earth Bring Beer, liquor, water and a trash bag Holiday weekends I find to be crowd and enjoyable if you like to socialize Camping is there is fairly cheap

first time and had a wonderful time.. going back again soon.

Amazing trail! Remember to bring more water than you need the sun gets intense so take your time on the way back. Also I had a blue heeler with me and he did great there and the way back for anyone thinking of bringing your furry kids.

Just started to use application.

A lot of people mention they’ve had issue with the gatekeeper and to take the other alt entrance, this adds extra time and risk and isn’t necessary. He is fine just be respectful and remember it’s a private ranch and he’s out there all year round dealing with constant helicopter rescues from people that don’t pay attention to his instructions / directions. They are simple and nothing to be overwhelmed by. It gets crazy hot out there in middle of summer so lots of water and don’t overheat in the pools cos you still have to get yourself back up that hill! The place is beautiful and well respected by its visitors, the pools are amazing and each vary in temperature. It’s clothing optional out there but nothing enforced. Remember to pick up any rubbish you see on your way out... keep this place clean!

Thursday, June 07, 2018

Do not go here unless you are completely comfortable with nudity. Do not bring glass bottles, campfires and camping are prohibited. The guy that runs the ranch is known to pull a gun on visitors who disrespect the springs or drive in late to his property. He is charging $5 per person and may raise the price to $10 per person by the time of this posting. The alternate route is severely washed out and dangerous. Vandalism is known to occur at vehicles left at the ranch and alternate route parking lot.

Sunday, June 03, 2018

Would not recommend to anyone coming in from Bowen Ranch. The gate keeper was disrespectful and rude. He didn’t let my boyfriend, son and I in because we wouldn’t turn off our car while paying for the fee. Oh and let’s not forget how he went inside and pulled out a gun on my boyfriend for coming back and apologizing for the situation. No matter if we were allowed in. Still got in through alternate route though :)

Monday, May 14, 2018

We got a tab bit lost finding the trailhead. I believe there might be two ways to get there? We took the Bowen Ranch route. We brought along our 6, 17, and 18 year old boys. We knew the area was clothing optional so we spoke to them about possible nudity and to be open minded about the choice of others to wear (or not wear) clothing. There were definitely quite a few nude people, mostly men. And to our surprise the boys didn’t seem weirded out or awkward or giggly. They minded their business and enjoyed the creek and hot springs. The hike is moderate in difficulty and dog friendly. The trail is very clean. The rocks around the springs are easy enough to climb. Wish more people would remember to pick up their undergarments and trash. There is a $5 (per person) fee. The attendant that gives you the map is a bit abrupt, but I’m sure she has seen too many people do stupid things in the area so it’s understandable. Overall, we will come again, sans children and maybe even camp next time!

Sunday, May 13, 2018

had some good fun here. went rope swinging. jumped off the cliff into the water and pretty much got in every pool lol. groups of nudist showed up. Like 10 dudes with there jocks out lmao