Deep Creek Hot Springs Trail

Deep Creek Hot Springs Trail is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Apple Valley, California that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

hot springs

This is a short hike to natural hot springs within the San Bernardino National Forest of Southern California. This is a day-use area only and no overnight camping is permitted. You can enter the trail from Bowen Ranch Road, where you will pay a $5 per person entrance fee (not per vehicle) at the entrance to the parking area. If you do not have a 4x4 vehicle, consider a different route. The dirt road is very bumpy and rocky. From the trailhead, it is an easy 2 mile hike downhill to the Mojave River and the adjacent hot springs. The descent is a steep hill and can be sandy in areas. Once at the hot springs, there are several pools to choose from. The Pacific Crest Trail can be accessed from the hot springs. With warm temperatures in a high desert area, sunscreen and plenty of water are necessary for your hike. There is a natural drinking water source located behind the hot pools which drains out of a copper pipe which can be used for refills. The hike back out of deep creek canyon to the parking lot is all uphill and can be very steep at times.

I chose to come from the 173 to Bradford Ridge to get to the springs, and I'm very glad I did! I think October-March is the perfect time to go. Either way is worth the trip, but here are some comparisons:

From Bowen Ranch: hike south
-Have to drive a few miles on I paved road
-Costs $5 a person or $10 ea to camp
-Mike, the gatekeeper, can be unsettling
-1.5 mile hike to hot springs

From Bradford Ridge: hike north
-Limited parking, but fully paved roads
-Free with no gatekeeper
-2.4 mile hike to hot springs
-Relatively flat trail, except for last 0.2 miles

Did this hike for the first time today. Beautiful scenic hike on the way down. Make sure to bring enough water to have on the way back. It’s all uphill. Yes there were naked men all over and you have to laugh at that. Went to other side of hit springs where there was a man performing oral sex on another. There are families there with children. Kinda got the wrong vibe when I saw that. On way back there was a sheriff helicopter circling the area maybe someone made a call. Besides that it is a beautiful scenic hike.

What a great discovery! Had a blast in the Jeep driving in via Juniper Flats. Snacked off the Holly Cherry bush on the way down and enjoyed a great swim and soak.

I knew to expect some amazing hot springs, but I didn’t know the hike itself would be spectacular as well. It’s a fairly easy hike, but I’m sure it’s more brutal when it’s super hot out (I went on a relatively cool day).

There are multiple small hot springs scattered around a swimming hole. Absolutely amazing! We had fun hopping from one to another and testing out the different water temperatures. We were able to sit in the hottest one for plenty of time (other reviewers have said only a few seconds so maybe the temp changes).

This is an amazing experience. my family's come here for years but I just went for my 2nd time. this time my 5 year old daughter came along. She walked every step of the way on her own. The hot springs were perfect and it was perfect at night.

Note, bring plenty of water and a purification system and refile from the creek before you go back up. If you stay the night, fires are not allowed but happen. PLEASE PACK OUT YOUR TRASH.

Unbelievable. Best Springs ive been to thus far. Highly recommend. VERY STEEP ON THE WAY BACK UP. Beautiful scenery, MANY NAKED DUDES. Cool.

Follow this map not google maps. Make sure to park at Bowen Ranch. Pull up to the window, where a grumpy man will charge you 5$ per person. I understand why he is grumpy though due to some irresponsible hikers who go here. Follow the map that he gives you and the most walked path.

Take lots of water, sunscreen and food. We had to help some fellow hikers that got lost and were able to get back on the actual trail get airlifted out of there due to dehydration. Be prepared, especially during the summer!

Pools were beautiful! Very hot during the summer, we weren't able to stay in them for more that a few seconds.

Fair amount of nudist and weed smokers. Not my cup of tea, but it was a good one time hike. Highly recommend going at least once to see the hot spring pools (:

I love this place. Make sure you take lots of water and food.