Dearing Mountain Trail

Dearing Mountain Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Los Angeles, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I really enjoyed this trail — once I found it. I missed the first left turn (because I wasn’t looking at the trail map), and I ended up going on a short hike behind some of houses. That isn’t this trail. So I’d advise, if it’s your first time there, use the map. The trail has a few places where it Ys, and I appreciated this app in those moments. That said, it’s a beautiful area with incredible views, and my dog and I had a grand time. We will be back.

Also: Make sure to keep your dog on a leash. They seem pretty serious about tickets. One visitor told me a ranger recently hid in the bushes and gave his friend a ticket. Sneaky.

Beautiful with many varied walks and upward and downward slopes, vegetation changes as you walk.

Love this one.

Few hikes in the LA area have both water and shade. This one did, granted, both were pretty minimal.

Awesome. Vigorous.

Love this trail. Very light traffic and always run into dogs for my dog to play and run with!

Fun little trail for a mellow hike or a fun run

really enjoyed it. we ran some of it and walked most of it. very enjoyable. nice views and beautiful natural scenery. would enjoy to do it again.

Monday, June 20, 2016

I hiked this trail on a 97-degree day, and it was a challenge! Though surrounded by houses, the trail feels relatively secluded and there's quite a bit of shade. It's one of my favorite hikes in the city.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Only down side is that it is on the north side of the hill, which means there isn't always direct sunlight. If you like shade then this hike is for you and overlooks much of the valley.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Lots of trails and a moderate level, It's a little hard to find the trail head from the Willacre parking lot.
Loved the rainforest area! If you want a longer hike park at Willacre, hike the Willacre loop and as you exit the park to enter the street portion the trail head is on your right between some pretty fancy houses.

Saturday, June 21, 2014

I love it rune it with my dog it's perfect!!

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pretty solid hike. The only thing that I didn't like so much, was that there were homes surrounding you for much of the time. I prefer to feel like I'm away from the city/civilization a bit more. But if that doesn't bother you bon voyage. I'd recommend it none the less.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Enough climbing to satisfy an intermediate hiker's itch, but easy enough for a beginner hiker that's feeling a bit adventurous. I had a bit of an issue with the fact that you can still hear plenty of car engines and the rush of traffic from some areas of the trail, but there were areas that did offer seclusion from society. The "Rainforest" in particular was very nice. I found the trails well maintained, with no real blockages or brush to push through. Many areas were pretty densely wooded and provided fantastic atmosphere, but when the view opens up you're mainly greeted with views of the city and expensive houses. I have to say that this hike was a bit anticlimactic, with no real point of interest at the end, however if you can adopt the "It's not the destination, it's the journey." mindset, you'll have a good time.

One note that could be helpful: When you see the sign near the trail head that says "Trail ends in .7 miles.", look to your left. There's another, slightly harder to spot sign indicating the Dearing Mountain Trail. We missed it the first time around and figured that maybe the .7 mile trail would lead to the Dearing trailhead, but we were wrong, and it added 1.4 miles to the trip. However, the .7 mile trail is fairly flat, and would be nice for someone looking for a quick walk.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Trailhead has a great overlook from Mulholland Drive down into the San Fernando Valley and across to Burbank and Glendale. The trails at the start are shaded with overgrowth and beautiful trees. The trail is clear with switchbacks and great views. The "rainforest" is very short but verdant some times of the year. Great for adults and dogs, hikers and joggers. Narrow for young children in some sections of the path.

Monday, February 25, 2013

Free street parking available if you can't find parking in the lot. Narrow trails at some places so be careful. Dog friendly. Little creeks and scenery make this trail interesting. I don't think this one is for kids due to narrow trails. Small trails constantly popped up. Having GPS came in handy.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

This hike lets you feel like you're really deep in the foliage. There are some sunny spots, but it's mostly shaded by the many trees there, both still standing, and fallen over. The trail starts out wide, but after the first turn, you're diving into a narrow path that allows for only one hiker. It heads downhill for a bit, but then has nice variations to push you harder, and then let you rest. At the 'T' (once Dearing Mountain Trail ends), I headed left towards the "rainforest" and continued on until I hit a fence behind some really nice houses. After that, I just double-backed it back to my car - where there's lots of free parking, by the way. This trail seems less tramped and crowded. Just watch out for poison oak in the summer.

Monday, July 09, 2012

Good trees and decent view of the Valley. The trail itself is a bit rough with a crack in the middle at times or areas to avoid. Overall nice though.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I went hiking on this trail with three others on Memorial Day. We went to the left towards the "rainforest" and backtracked in a loop after reaching the fence on the west. It's a lovely trail with a combination of scenic views and cool woodland. It wasn't very busy either. I would recommend!