Deal Trail is a 11.2 mile out and back trail located near Ojai, California that features a river. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,513 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The directions to this trail took me to the Rancho Nuevo trailhead. See my recording. if you start this hike from hwy 33 at the Rancho Nuevo sign, you will need an off road vehicle or hike an extra 1.3 miles each way. There is a trailhead sign further south on hwy33 if you are coming from the north. If you are coming south from Ojai, then you will see the TH sign to your left. First, the trail is very overgrown in places but not too hard to follow. A machete and wearing gaiters will help. Beautiful canyon walls, plenty of water in the creek and a beautiful area. I didn't see a single person on the trail. on IG as @picbynathan

This trail is very overgrown right now, right from the start. It was so overgrown at times, that it was hard to tell where the trail went. It was too overgrown to do any serious trail running. No big deal, but there were also a lot of ticks. I pulled a tick off me in the first mile. I found another 3 miles in that had already attached. The trail is mostly flat at first, but then you start climbing a relatively narrow canyon. There is some decent shade in some of those sections and a little bit of water in early May. Eventually, you reach a fork in the trail. I headed to the right, and the trail takes a bit of a climb until you reach a pass and drop down into another canyon on the other side. It's a steep descent. I didn't continue much further due to the heat, the ticks, and a hydration pack malfunction, but I probably wouldn't come back any time soon due to it being so overgrown. It is true that it is a perfect place to go to get away from people during the pandemic. I saw exactly zero people. Maybe after the pandemic, this trail will get some maintenance.

This was a spectacular trail that was mostly flat but after 1.5 miles the brush was overgrown. We had to climb over fallen trees and leap over tiny streams. We hiked to escape the covid 19 quarantine and we were happy that we didn’t see a single soul on the trail!

Tue Feb 07 2017

After you start entering the canyon and moving out of ear shot of the traffic, it is a very enjoyable hiking area. Nicely kept trail, thanks to the Forestry Service and Boy Scout troop 111, out of Ojai, CA. They had approximately 20 scouts, and several adults, out working on the trail as their annual Super Bowl Sunday work party. Thank you again Troop 111

Sat May 19 2012

This trail was alot of fun. We hiked the rancho nuevo trail until we got to the deal camp site then followed the deal trail. There are lots of stream crossings and lots of shade. Towards the end of the trail there has been a fire and the views are not as great.

Sun May 28 2017