Dead Giant Loop Trail

Dead Giant Loop Trail is a 7.1 mile loop trail located near Dunlap, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is marked easy on AllTrails but really the whole trail isn't easy.

While you're on the Fire Road, during the first third of the loop, the trail is easy. But once you turn off the Fire Road at the Apex of the loop the trail becomes a mid-sized path that is more moderately challenging than an easy rating would suggest. We would rate it moderate because of the elevation drop and level of trail maintenance. I would not suggest that day hikers who are limited to easy trails should attempt the section that branches out from the Fire Road particularly after a rainfall.

In a previous post, Luke mentioned that the turn off is easy to miss and it is. As you are walking north on the Fire Road, look for a picnic table on the left in a clearing by the creek. The trail will begin in about 50 feet to the left. There is a marker but it is still easy to miss.

My hiking partner and I used AllTrails with my phone over Verizon. Using GPS we could track our location in real time on the AllTrails map. Even so we accidentally ended up off trail a few times. Some of the intersections along the trail are not clearly marked.

Once on the moderate level section, the trail begins a rapid descent which you can see on the AllTrails topo diagram. There are sections that could be difficult for anyone who does not have good lower mobility. At the location I have marked with 2, the trail splits and the marker isn't clear. Use your map with GPS to make sure you get on the correct trail.

I hiked this trail in Oct17 and even then the creek had enough water in it that you would have to wade through where it crosses the path. Be aware there's no bridge at this spot. You can see the water level in my photos.

Features of this trail as it is mapped in AllTrails include mountain top views, patches of Lady Bug swarms, creek crossing, views that potentially could gaze out to the coastal ranges and off-highway vehicle access.

We thoroughly enjoyed this loop but both of us thought it would be wise to note that the Fire Road section and the third-third which begins at the creek crossing at the forest floor should be considered easy. The second third should be considered moderate.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Hiked this loop starting down at sequoia lake, was lovely.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Monday, July 04, 2016

Climb up is nice and easy on a fire road but the left turn onto the single track can be easy to miss. I ended up doing an extra 3 miles but didn't mine. It's a very beautiful area.