De La Veaga Loop

De La Veaga Loop is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Orinda, California that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running.

One of my go to hikes for a workout. Trail Head easy to find & lots of parking. Trail in good condition. From the Start goes up, up, & up.. When you get to the top of the ridge you have great views of Reservoirs and also Highway 24 (ugh). Then you start down into a valley & move towards Berkeley. At one point you cross a road to get on a very narrow path that opens up to a STUNNING view of Oakland, San Fran and both Bridges. Coming back on the loop is really hard but you will survive. I hardly ever see anyone on the trail. Keeping it from a 5 star hike - pretty constant highway noise and a ton of powerlines that spoil some of the views

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

We didn't do the full loop, the start of the trail is near Orinda Bart and the by joining with the trails on the Berkeley side we ended at Rockridge Bart to Bart back to our starting point. Overall it was almost 7 miles. It was pretty steep climbing and very steep decline at the end.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

This was one of those hikes that you can see a glimpse of on the commute through the tunnel. It gets up high and you can see everywhere. I did it solo in early winter so the weather and the views were great. I wouldn't want to do it in the summer. Most of the hike is exposed and would be very hot with all the hills. When I did it I saw no one anywhere..... I don't think I'd want to do it again...cardio challenge.