Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Dawn Mine and Sunset Trail Loop [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(945)
Angeles National Forest

Dawn Mine and Sunset Trail Loop is a 6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Altadena, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,633 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

closed

NOTE: It has been reported this trail has temporary closures due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

I took the trail all the way from Millard campground. I would not recommend this. Continuing after Millard falls became hazardous and strenuous, as part of the trail is gone from a rockslide probably this past winter. Very difficult. However, meeting dawn mine trail via the sunset ridge trail is much easier and enjoyable. The trails are well maintained on this route and provide fairly easy access to the mine

really beautiful hike, did it about one week ago.. Beginning was peaceful, following a creek and rainfall views. one big steep section before you reach the mine (which was just a sign, unless I missed it). Lost the trail at the mine but there is a fairly obvious sign that you can see up a small hill to get back on track. Then the steep climb out of the canyon to the top! Here there were about three places where the trail was washed out. The first two were small areas you can step over without feeling risky. the last one was a few steps on some narrow but stable trail, definitely scary looking from a distance but I didn't feel unsafe on it (trail always about 1.5 feet wide).

private property

CLOSED! ANF finally closed a bunch of roads and trails since Los Angeles had no jurisdiction to do so. Closed as of 4/3 Full list of all closures https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd720172.pdf

Really beautiful beginning that got harder later on with the incline. Large elevation gain that really feels forest-y and pays off with the views at every turn. Definitely missed one major switchback. When you see the sign it’s basically behind you.

I hiked this trail on 3/2/20. I came up the creek, saw the mine and attempted to do the full loop but as I got near the highest switchback section near the top, the trail was really degraded. Once I found that in some sections I couldn’t even turn around with a backpack safely, without risking a 1000 foot fall, I decided to turn around. I was hiking solo so I felt it wasn’t the safest thing for me to do. It was an absolutely beautiful hike and I see that others completed it safely, without mentioning the risky trail conditions, so maybe I took a wrong turn? I’ll have to try it again sometime with a partner. Anyone else experience the same?

BE CAREFUL!!! CAR BROKEN INTO HERE. I did not see a previous comment about their car being broken into! We were gone for 2 hours we came back and my boyfriends Honda Accord was BROKEN INTO! They popped the lock open and took my purse, $600, my boyfriend’s credit card, my wallet and card, and had already spent $280 at a near store! BE WARNED! We parked near several cars at the top of the parking area designated for trail parking. Most beautiful amazing hike I’ve ever done but not worth getting broken into. BE CAREFUL! Cannot stress enough! And please be on the lookout for whatever assholes are doing this! Clearly they’ve done this before. Otherwise, this hike would get 5 stars.

Be careful of bikes.

Fun trail!

Very well maintained trail. Recommend clockwise. First half is cool and shaded and runs up the creek. Loved it.

Beautiful hike with some awesome shady spots to sit and relax! I went clockwise which is best. Otherwise your knees will be sore.

We headed down off the Sunset Ridge Trail and followed the Dawn Mine trail through the canyon along the creek. Lots of beautiful scenery. This trail is a challenge when you get down into the canyon with lots of steps, creek crossings, rocks and the like. A new favorite place for winter hikes.

BE CAREFUL PARKING YOUR CAR ON THE ROAD LEADING UP TO THE TRAIL! MINE WAS BROKEN INTO BY APPARENT PROFESSIONAL THIEVES! They popped the lock on my Honda Accord and stole my girlfriend’s credit and debit cards from her wallet, leaving everything else there. Unfortunately, the cost to repair my door was $500+. So, BE CAREFUL and I’d advise parking in the parking lot down the road (passed the first trail). Great hike, otherwise (making this a 2 rather than a 1 Star review)

Great hike!

Loved this hike. Beautiful trail, good mix of scenery. Recommend going clockwise, so that the beginning is the steeper and rockier uphill and the end is mostly switchbacks. We went counterclockwise and it was still very enjoyable but a little more challenging on our knees going down at the end.

Awesome Trail!! You start out on paved road that immediately has an impressive view of Alta Dena and all the way to downtown. Then you hop on the sunset trail and it hugs the side of the mountain and has an excellent view of the canyon. I went clockwise on the loop down into Dawn Mine. Very beautiful trail next to the creek. It had rained the day before so there was a lot of water running and quite a few waterfalls. After you pass the mine it starts to climb up and up. A short portion of the trail is very narrow on the side of a cliff. Finally your on Echo Mountain with breathtaking views of the city below. Head down the Sunset Trail and be wary of mountain bikers. They love this spot. The sunset trail really lives up to its name during sunset. The light that comes through the trees makes a very beautiful effect.. Time your hike right to experience it. Happy trails!!

Great hike, although minimal parking! Even on a rainy day. We didn’t get to finish as it started to rain and hail pretty hard as soon as we got near the top. Lots of pretty sights! Checked out the mine and the cave, so that was cool..

This trail was beautiful and a great workout. But unlike some of these reviews, my sister and I, both on the hike, strongly prefer going clockwise. Here’s why: if you go clockwise, your ascent (mine/creek side of the loop) will be steeper and more intense, but the way down with the switchbacks will be easier on your knees. The mine/creek side has many sketchy parts that are dry and slippery, quite steep, mostly straight up without switchbacks, and can also be narrow and rocky in parts. Tough on the knees and a little dicey going down that way. Though up is fine. So for future, we will go clockwise to make the descent less sketchy, even if that means it’s a little more intense going up the creek side.