Dawn Mine and Sunset Trail Loop

Dawn Mine and Sunset Trail Loop is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Altadena, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

old growth

This is a great hike, with a good mix of terrain. It was a little hot, so we skipped the Sunset Trail portion of the loop and just did an out and back to Dawn Mine, but it was shady and pleasant down in the canyon.

Quite a breath taking hike. Part one is to the dawn mine and there are some parts that get a little technical. No bikes or horses gonna make it.. Foot hiking only. Part two is to the Lowe mountain raod firebreak. This part opf the trail zig zags right up the side of the mountain. You gotta be in good shape to make this hike Up to the mount lowe railway firebreak. It's all downhill from there.....

We enjoyed this hike. The trail is not as crowded as other trails in the area. It was actually closer to 6:5 miles round trip. Watch out for ticks in overgrown areas.

Very pretty trail. I extended this and peak bagged Brown mountain

Great hike as it had just rained so there was lots of water flow in the creek and great scenery. We headed up (east) along the loop first and that was dry and had some shade and then we finished the loop down through the canyon. The canyon was beautiful, shady with trees. We crossed the water maybe 5? Times back and forth following the trail. The only issue was finding the trail once we got to the dawn mine sign. There are many well beaten paths that look like the trail. Using GPS we finally figured we needed to head down across the water at the Dawn Mine Arrow sign and then follow the water down through the canyon.
Also, the loop may be 4.9 miles but by the time we walked from our car to the trailhead, the loop and back to the car we had done 6.5 miles. The trail also has some areas that are slippery with shale rock so if you are not sure footed or in decent shape you may not feel comfortable. The hike has a decent amount of elevation and was an enjoyable workout.

it was a good hike but what upset me at the end the mine was gated off was looking forward to look in

Great hike. Really great hike. Got lost though, which had me hiking twice as long and far as I wanted to. Download map. Without it I would have been screwed.

we had a great time couldn't believe we ran into people on the way it's a tough hike but a nice little stream makes it worthwhile and we found a cabin with fresh firewood

Pretty secluded, shady trail, different terrains.
Difficult to fine mine and some parts were scrabbling.
Overall good trail I’d come back.

Moderate not hard. Many side trails if you want longer distances.

This was a beautiful morning hike. The mine is closed but if you are into climbing there is high relief along the wall and is pretty easily scalable.
I got lost a couple of times.

Fun hike and not very difficult. The mine was cool but it’s all blocked off so you can just peak in. If you climb the wall above the first mine opening you will find another opening to look into! The trail was also longer than the description says.

This is a nice hike that is good to do during hot or warm days (just watch out for the snakes). Get there early in order to get the best parking. I recommend adding the Millard Falls hike, especially if you are not worn out. I would rate this as a moderate hike and not a "hard" hike like listed as of now.

I would also recommend going down into the canyon and follow the trail via the stream all the way up to the mine. After viewing the mine, go directly across the stream and up the ridge via the Sunset Ridge Trail. This is the steepest part of the entire loop hike. Once you reach the top of the ridge, continue around until you see a small building labeled "Cape of Good Hope." The Sunset Ridge Trail continues just west of this building and zig zags (switchbacks) down and eventually back to the trailhead/parking lot.

This was a beautiful trail that felt very peaceful and secluded. Hardly any people were hiking it so we enjoyed the rare silence.

Love it!

its a very nice hike!! I'd say it's rated hard only because of it not being an actual trail but a lot of boulders to cross over which is really fun. I brought my dogs and they loved being off the leash frolicking around!

I really enjoyed this hike. I went for the first time last weekend. Fairly challenging and I would highly recommend it. I didn’t run into too many people on the trail, so it offers nice moments of solitude.

We started from Millard Campgrounds and then found the steep trail near the waterfall leading to the Dawn Mine trail. Just watch out for cyclists. It's a great trail to do!

Forest pass required! This is an absolutely fantastic hike, though definitely geared to the more advanced and physically fit folks! I was VERY glad we used the “record” function as it ensured we didn’t lose our way. Tip: download the AllTrails maps, then set your phone to airplane mode to conserve battery while recording.

The hike features steep inclines, rough sections of trail, stream crossings, boulder hopping, and large steps to climb in numerous areas. If you take the hike clockwise (veering left at the cabin), you will go deep into the canyon and follow the steam under the shade of the trees until the mine. The mine ‘s trail is marked...you just need to descend down a bit to see the old mining remnants. You will need to get all the way to the remnants to see the actual mine (look to the left). After seeing the mine, you will need to climb WAY UP to get out of the canyon and back to the fire roads. It is steep, but the views from the top are fantastic!! The trail is defined in most places, but you can get off track if not careful. Taking the hike counterclockwise (heading right at the Sunset Trail marker might (??) be the less strenuous way to go.

Would definitely recommend to adventurous souls, but do be careful, bring lots of water, and a navigational device if possible.

One of my favorite trails in the area!

beautiful trail, fun as well. slight challenge with a fun surprise at the end , if you can find it. and it has a variety of scenes.

Really good hike-definitely a workout but nothing too extreme. The mine is underwhelming, but the canyon scenery is very pretty & the views at the top are fantastic!

Path starts on a road on the side of mountain. Leads down into a very forested Valley. Creeks and little ponds run through.

Super fun. Not hard at all!

Beautiful trail with a diverse topography. The dirt trail takes you into the canyon and switchbacks up leading to a short trek on the cement road. Follow this to a slightly hidden lefthand offshoot trail down to lush greenery and stream crossings. There is a sign for Dawn Mine on a tree, so be on the lookout. The beauty this trail covers is a hidden gem in LA.

one of my favorites! but can get lost if not paying close attention. worth it. i love it !

Mine has been closed off. I've been visiting this mine for 5 years. To come and see she's been closed is very saddening. I'll be back to open her up or place ropes to get to the upper mine just a quick rock climb above the original.

It's a killer workout tons on incline! We found many river beds and the creek was still flowing. It was by far the most beautiful hike. Only thing is the trail is a bit confusing as we never saw the mines. Very secluded we saw very FEW people and honestly there's so many different trails, chances are you won't see them again.

killer Incline at the beginning of the hike. Got lost finding the Mine ended up coming out a different trail. All n' all amazing workout!