Dave Moore Nature Trail

Dave Moore Nature Trail is a 1 mile loop trail located near Lotus, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 52 feet Route Type: Loop

This little gem of a trail highlights not only some of the wonderful flora of the area, but a little of the gold mining history as well. This a great trail for kids, dogs and families. Wheelchairs can use half the loop, start on the side closest to the bathroom. You can not take a wheelchair on the complete loop. Great river access. You will find dinosaurs hiding along the trail that are not meant to take home but to move along the trail. It's a great way to keep the kids interested in the hike without complaints.

Beautiful trail and terrain. Great for families, dogs and people of all abilities. The loop, view, trees and rock formations are worth the trip. The trail is easy and provides many opportunities for kids to explore. The only downside is there is evidence that many people are not picking up after their dogs on this trail.

If you take the trail starting by the bathroom the walk is very short to the river. I wished we would’ve started going the other way on the loop- closer to the cars, to make our hike to the river the longest rather then having our wet children walk longer back to the car. :)

We looooove this trail. It’s great for my daughter who has Down syndrome and for her, walking long distances is hard. This is just perfect! It’s also fun to sit at the little beach and watch the people rafting! Wave and say hello to them! Everyone is super friendly!

anyone with kids. easy 1 mile with a beach.

river current was very strong. beautiful hike. easy :)

Great trail! My 3 year old walked the whole way. It took about an hour, plus time spent at the river having lunch. Lots of mosquitoes and poison oak. I took the stroller for my 1 year old, but I’ll definitely bring her in the backpack next time instead. The loop wasn’t great for strollers in some spots. We will definitely come back here!

Very fun and engaging for my six year old daughter we found 4 dinosaurs very cool idea!!

I love this trail. It is very easy and I love the views. My favorite is coming towards the end of the loop that takes you back to the parking lot and all of the trees are leaning/bending kind of makes it look like your walking under a long tree arch way. The trail all the way down to the river is wheelchair accessible, which I find awesome. The rest is not. But none the less, this is a great trail to take, if your looking for something easy, quite, pretty and short in distance. This is the one.

Hiked this back in October, nice little trail, short and flat, good spot for a picnic! My dog,loved splashing around in the water too!

Awesome trail for my 3 year old. Finding and hiding treasure is fun. Will always come back.

Wonderful hike with a 7 year old and baby carried in a backpack.

awesome loop trail. We brought our dogs several times. Lots of people on weekends hanging out at the river during summer months. Nice little beach on the river half way through this hike. Easy access with parking and a toilet at the trailhead.

Wed Oct 31 2018

First hike with our infant in the backpack, it was perfect and easy. We took our dogs as well, they so enjoyed the dips in the water. We saw one other person with their dog.

Sun Jul 29 2018

Very good trail for families with small kids, short and easy, beautiful area. Thank you, Javier Antonio, for hidden dinos, it was such an interesting challenge, we've found just 5 )) There's river access from trail. Please have plastic bags if you have dog with you.

Mon Jun 18 2018

Awesome trail, just right for my 3 and 5 year olds. Took our time and spotted quite a few (more than 1, less than 15) hidden dinosaurs! Such an awesome idea, kept the kids engaged, exploring and excited to see around the next bend.

Sat May 12 2018

This was our families first little hiking trip and we absolutely had a blast. I have a 5 year old and 4 month and we all did this with a breeze. Very Easy. The drive in was fun, very winding roads. Free parking. Nice spot halfway through by the river, sandy area to have lunch. There is also random picnic tables along the trail. Great for Kids! little dinosaur toys along the trail. Would be a fun tradition to place a new dinosaur somewhere special. Definitely will come again.

Sun Jan 28 2018

This a great trail for kids, dogs, families, wheelchairs. Wheelchairs are accessible on the side of the trail closets to the bathroom. You can not take a wheelchair on the complete loop. Great river access. Always peaceful & quiet when I’ve been out there. You will find dinosaurs hiding along the trail that are not meant to take home but to move along the trail. It’s a great way to keep the kids interested in the hike without complaints.

Sun Jan 14 2018

Quick and easy hike that takes under an hour. Checked it out to test the new dog on hikes... will return for leisure strolls often. We found a dinosaur hidden in the cracks of one of the rock walls and only then because the sunlight was hitting it just right. What a funny little treat!

Mon Nov 13 2017

Perfect hike for kids. We were able to go down and play in the river in the middle of our hike. Well maintained and very easy to follow. Clean bathrooms.

Mon Oct 30 2017

Great little hike for spur of the moment exercise.

Mon Sep 11 2017

This hike was gentle enough to go on with a child. Felt like a camp trail including intresting rock formations, trees, flowers and the river. Definately bring your fishing pole. Looked like there were some old buildings in town. will definately be back to explore those in the future!

Sun Sep 03 2017

Perfect trail to take the kids, easy and short. A couple of great spots off the trail to sit and enjoy the river or jump in to cool off!

Tue Aug 08 2017

Good for littles.

Thu Jul 13 2017

Perfect for kids. Easy terrain. Interesting things to see and nice break in the middle at the river where you can sit under some shade and get your feet wet. I brought my 3 young kids and dog and had a great time. Bonus, there is a bathroom and garbage can in the parking lot.

Sat Jul 01 2017

Easy for the younger crowd!!!

Tue Jun 13 2017

Nice trail. Watch out for ticks.

Thu Jun 08 2017

love it

Tue May 30 2017

Really great trail and amazing views! Definitely not wheelchair friendly in one area where the chinese rock formations were but otherwise we picked up the chair around ruts and tree roots. Lots of shade on the trail as well, and LOTS of poison oak. We also saw a very large rattlesnake of to the side of the trail. Very very nice and will walk/hike it again!

Thu May 04 2017

Fun trail just under a mile with part running parallel to the river.