Learn more

Darwin Falls Trail via Old Toll Road is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Darwin, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

Length 1.9 mi Elevation gain 226 ft Route type Out & Back
Kid friendly Hiking River Views Waterfall Wild flowers Wildlife Rocky Scramble No dogs
Description

Photos (199)
Recordings (141)
Completed (404)
Pearl Heft
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 27, 2020
HikingGreat!

Such a neat place. Get ready to scramble rocks. Had to help an older lady out. She got in over her head towards the end & couldn't get down. Super short & sweet. Stay out of the water.

Sheryl Parsons
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 25, 2020
Hiking

Very cool hike. Rock scrambling at the end isn't too bad and there's quite a few places where people have made alternate routes to avoid the rocks.

Gwyn Frost
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 24, 2020

Beautiful falls!!

View Gwyn's Recording
Kim Robertson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 10, 2020
View Kim's Recording
Eric Soderberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 1, 2020
Hiking

hot to start, cools off once you get to the greenery. small but refreshing

View Eric's Recording
Sarah Fleming
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 19, 2020
Hiking

Not the greatest waterfall but fun to see water in the desert. Just a little bit of scrambling at the end to reach the waterfall but most people should be able to do it.

View Sarah's Recording
Gabby Alvarez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 25, 2020
Hiking

Small, cute waterfall. Short hike!!

View Gabby's Recording
Dante Myers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
Hiking

We went out about 2pm it was between 109-110 degrees there was minimal shade until you get about .8 into the trail after it’s shaded and the water is relatively cool. It is a nice change from the otherwise brutal desert landscape

View Dante's Recording
Vienna Thomas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2020
Hiking

I enjoyed this hike and was surprised at how much greenery and life there was as I got closer to the falls. There were lizards, dragonflies & damselflies, and an absurd number of grasshoppers that would flit from tree to tree to avoid me. Upon entering the clearing, I startled some sort of small raptor type bird that was eating or drinking there, which was pretty cool. Definitely wear grippy shoes- there are a couple places where you go up or down rock and I was wearing sneakers that had gotten muddy and consequently had a small slide. Would also recommend bringing plenty of water and doing this early- I did it around 8.30am and the sun was already out and hot.

David Haugen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
Hiking

Easy hike and perfect for a quick out and back hike. Bring water and sunscreen. Great little hike.

View David's Recording
David Haugen
HikingGreat!

Great little hike. The trail was clear and there was no problem locating the trail from the parking area. There is a modest 500 foot gain over the course of the 1.1 mile trek. I definitely recommend arriving early (before 9:00 AM) because it is very hot this time of year. Overall a great day trip for a quick activity.

Linda Lovemade
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 20, 2020
Hiking

Someone was found dead recently around this trail. Please be careful- stay hydrated and do not hike alone

CLAUDIA RODRIGUEZ
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 4, 2020

disappointed, we drove 6 hrs total, roundtrip, we took the old toll and it is super high risk road, lots of dips, curves, super dark at nigth, the watterfalls where unreachable and not what we where expenting.

Stacey Crow
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 16, 2020
Hiking

Great hike, especially for kids! Super easy, and only a mile there. No dogs allowed though!!

Sophia Mastrangelo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 23, 2020
HikingRocky

So fun! beautiful in the winter!!!

View Sophia's Recording
Alex S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 22, 2020
HikingMuddyOff trailRockyScramble

This was not the trail I thought it would be by the time I finished. It was a nice trail up to the falls. At the falls I was only 1 mile in, a mile back to the parking area would have been a 2 mile trail. The Alltrails map and the description indicated the trail continued past the falls for 5.8 miles out and back. From the base of the falls I looked up the steep canyon walls and wondered where the trail continued. I started climbing the steep walls looking for the trail. I made it to a point where I took a picture of the second, much more narrow and longer falls. The drop from this point was more than 100 feet down and still no trail to be found. As I looked back down the way I climbed up, I decided it would be too difficult going back the same direction. At the top of the mountain I was about 700 feet above the elevation of the falls. The way down, to continue to the indicated trail, seemed much easier but still not what I was expecting. I made it about 3/4 of the way down and I noticed a wide trail used by 4X4 vehicles. The last 1/4 of the way down and a few hundred feet on the gravel rode, I was on the trail. I was also just under 3 miles when I hit the Alltrails endpoint. I was definitely not going back the way I came from so I continued for another 4 plus miles on the gravel road until I reached the same parking lot where I started. The gravel road back was interesting with several old mining areas. I'm not sure if there is a trail past the waterfalls and I missed it or if it doesn't exist. I would not recommend that anyone follow my way up the canyon walls from the falls to the top of the mountain as the risk of injury far exceeds the benefit of hiking and climbing the way I did.

MaryKate Meath
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 11, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky
Jack Straw
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 6, 2020
HikingFloodedMuddyRockyScramble
View Jack's Recording
Jess Basham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 26, 2020
Hiking

Such a great hike! Family friendly easy hike! We went past the first waterfall to see the big 150ft one and it did not disappoint! We had 5 kids with us ages 12-16 and they did great! I would recommend for sure. Absolutely beautiful waterfalls.

Ellen Barker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 23, 2020
Hiking

After a few days in the desert, this is a great change of pace. Easy walk, lovely trees, and beautiful falls

View Ellen's Recording
Sushanth Mali
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 18, 2020
HikingMuddy

small waterfall but beautiful. Trail isn’t marked but no matter what path you take we end up at the same place. I missed this in my previous visits but worth it.

View Sushanth's Recording
Michael Tobin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 12, 2019
Hiking

Nice quick hike, starts off as an expansive, desert wash then gets narrower and gets more lush. Ends at a nice waterfall, hard to believe it’s in Death Valley.

Steven Caniglia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 11, 2019
Hiking

driving for hours in the desert and then you come to this Oasis. (amazing) easy hike

View Steven's Recording